Air tank PSI and cubic feet calculation help please

In summary, calculating air tank PSI and cubic feet is crucial for determining the amount of compressed air that can be stored in a tank. The formula for calculating PSI is (Tank Volume in Cubic Feet x Atmospheric Pressure) / Volume of Air in Cubic Feet, and for calculating cubic feet it is Tank Volume in Cubic Inches / 1,728. The standard PSI for an air tank is usually 200 PSI, but it can vary depending on the size and use of the tank. Temperature changes can greatly affect PSI and cubic feet, and factors such as temperature fluctuations, leaks, and type of gas can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Regular monitoring and maintenance are necessary for accurate calculations and safe operation.
Edm
If I have a air tank that is 1 cubic feet with the pressure gauge at 0 and I pump in air to 5000 psi how many cubic feet of a 100 psi would be in that tank? Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts so far?

Likes russ_watters

1. What is the formula for calculating air tank PSI?

The formula for calculating air tank PSI is: PSI = (cubic feet of tank x atmospheric pressure) / volume of tank in cubic feet.

2. How do I convert cubic feet to gallons?

To convert cubic feet to gallons, multiply the number of cubic feet by 7.48. This will give you the equivalent number of gallons.

3. What is the atmospheric pressure used in the calculation?

The standard atmospheric pressure used in the calculation is 14.7 PSI. This is the average pressure at sea level.

4. How do I calculate the volume of an air tank in cubic feet?

To calculate the volume of an air tank in cubic feet, measure the length, width, and height of the tank in feet. Then, multiply these measurements together to get the volume in cubic feet.

5. Can I use this calculation for any type of air tank?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of air tank as long as you have the correct measurements and use the standard atmospheric pressure of 14.7 PSI.