Continuous and differentiable function

by frankpupu
Tags: continuous, differentiable, function
Share this thread:
frankpupu
Feb13-12, 06:05 PM
P: 19
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。show that if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

2. The attempt at a solution
i have try some examples, but i still cannot get the idea from that
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Dick
Feb13-12, 06:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,250
Quote Quote by frankpupu View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。show that if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

2. The attempt at a solution
i have try some examples, but i still cannot get the idea from that
You should be able to find an expression for f1 and f2 given f. Think about f(x)+f(-x) and f(x)-f(-x).
HallsofIvy
Feb13-12, 06:10 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,344
Given function f, let [itex]f_e(x)= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2[/itex] and [itex]f_o(x)= (f(x)- f(-x))/2[/itex].

frankpupu
Feb13-12, 06:15 PM
Continuous and differentiable function

Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Given function f, let [itex]f_e(x)= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2[/itex] and [itex]f_o(x)= (f(x)- f(-x))/2[/itex].
yes f(x)=((f(x)+f(−x))/2 )+(f(x)−f(−x))/2) then (f(x)+f(−x))/2 is even and (f(x)−f(−x))/2 is odd,then i don't know how to argue their continuity and differentiability?
Dick
Feb13-12, 06:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
yes f(x)=((f(x)+f(−x))/2 )+(f(x)−f(−x))/2) then (f(x)+f(−x))/2 is even and (f(x)−f(−x))/2 is odd,then i don't know how to argue their continuity and differentiability?
I don't think you have to prove it from scratch. If f(x) is continuous then f(-x) is continuous. What theorem about continuous functions might you use to prove that?
frankpupu
Feb13-12, 06:36 PM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
I don't think you have to prove it from scratch. If f(x) is continuous then f(-x) is continuous. What theorem about continuous functions might you use to prove that?
if f(x)is continuous then f(-x)is continuous ,(f(x)+f(-x))/2 is continuous by sum rule (f(x)-f(-x))/2 is continuous as well .but they should be chosen continuous
Dick
Feb13-12, 07:32 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
if f(x)is continuous then f(-x)is continuous ,(f(x)+f(-x))/2 is continuous by sum rule (f(x)-f(-x))/2 is continuous as well .but they should be chosen continuous
You are given f(x) is continuous. There is no need to show that. You do need to show f(-x) is also continuous. That's a composition rule. f(-x)=f(g(x)) where g(x)=(-x).

Register to reply