Physics question for the brainiacs

by Physics whizz
Tags: brainiacs, physics
Share this thread:
Physics whizz
Feb13-12, 03:52 PM
P: 2
I am writing today as a fellow physicist and would like to ask,
As I am conducting a very important test which I believe could increase mankinds understanding of the universe,
So my question is,
What is that long word called where you can spin an olive in a glass without touching the olive?!?!?!?!?!?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
berkeman
Feb13-12, 04:01 PM
Mentor
P: 41,085
Quote Quote by Physics whizz View Post
I am writing today as a fellow physicist and would like to ask,
As I am conducting a very important test which I believe could increase mankinds understanding of the universe,
So my question is,
What is that long word called where you can spin an olive in a glass without touching the olive?!?!?!?!?!?
Welcome to the PF.

Can you please be more specific? Can you provide any web pointers to a YouTube video or something to help us help you on this question? Where have you seen this?
berkeman
Feb13-12, 04:04 PM
Mentor
I did a Google Images search on "spin an olive in a glass", and got a couple hits on bartending tricks. See trick #2 in this link:

http://tommen.hubpages.com/hub/Cool-Magic-Tricks

Is that what you are asking about?

Physics whizz
Feb13-12, 04:04 PM
P: 2
Physics question for the brainiacs

I have tried searching for it but as I can't think of the actual name for it it won't show me any results as to what I'm looking for.
All I really can think of is the example of if you place an olive, grapeor something like that onto a table and place a glass around it, and then start spinning the glass, what is the name of what the affect is. Sorry I can't be that specific :/
Joncon
Feb13-12, 04:49 PM
P: 57
I take it this is what you mean? Centripetal force

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clxceK5BevE
ZapperZ
Feb13-12, 04:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
I'm just waiting for the part where it "... could increase mankinds understanding of the universe.... "

Zz.
berkeman
Feb13-12, 04:58 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
I'm just waiting for the part where it "... could increase mankinds understanding of the universe.... "

Zz.
JHamm
Feb14-12, 06:32 AM
P: 389
I hate to break it to you guys but...

SHISHKABOB
Feb14-12, 11:44 AM
P: 614
Quote Quote by JHamm View Post
I hate to break it to you guys but...

I think it's more likely that he was just trying to make a joke :P

Register to reply