High-Functioning Autistic Adult - how to find graduate tutors?

DraxDomax
English is not my first language (grammar in general is not an interest). For what it's worth, I am also fluent in Bulgarian and Hebrew.

Diagnosed HFA, 37, employed in software engineering (learned that myself).

Long time ago, I've chosen my purpose in life to study Electromagnetism, Electrodynamics and Electronics (analogue stuff mostly).

My problem is that I find errors in books really fast, even academic grade books.
Then I get angry, abandon the book and become too anxious to even touch the topic again for YEARS.
It's doubly frustrating to know that normal people, not only that they don't notice these mistakes, but they carry on to graduate and have careers, etc...

I tried hiring tutors but they appear to be calibrated towards making high-schoolers pass exams and they only know intermediate models, good for making it easy for the general population to think "STEM is cool" but this does not suit my ambitions.

I don't care about passing any exams or actually becoming a professional physicist. I do want to conduct my own experiments, however.

My original assumption was that not all physics graduates will have amazing research or jobs they are fully occupied with. All I need is someone with academic-grade knowledge of the subject and some basic pedagogy skills - who wants to make some extra money.
But I haven't been able to find one.

- I need a live person, not because they won't make mistakes (they will, as would I) but then I could challenge them and we will come back to what is true (or what is "our best idea so far"). I also need a bit of structure, especially that I am not looking for a complete Physics degree, just the three things I mentioned above

- Considered enrolling into a distance program: Too long, too much time per week, too expensive (again, I don't need to know nuclear physics, optics, mechanics, etc...)

Any ideas appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

One possible resource would be to visit the campuses of some local universities near you and look on the Physics Department (and EE department) bulletin boards to see if there are tutors advertising their services. Maybe nowadays such bulletin boards can be found online, but I don't know where to look for that.

You might also consider looking on Craig's List, if that is active in your country. Good luck!

DraxDomax said:
I need a live person, not because they won't make mistakes (they will, as would I) but then I could challenge them and we will come back to what is true (or what is "our best idea so far").
<<Emphasis added.>>

Just to clarify: Do you require a physical in-person tutorial session, or would a virtual (e.g., via Zoom) session work for you?

Likes berkeman
virtual would totally work, which is why I am optimistic, with all the English speaking countries, and not all of them doing exceptionally well economically!

Likes berkeman
DraxDomax said:
not all of them doing exceptionally well economically!
Well, they aren't exactly delivering pizzas. Unemployment among physics degree holders is very very low. And while many would prefer to be working in a laboratory over an office, as a rule they have pretty decent jobs.

You sound like a very difficult student. That's your prerogative, but you also complained about the expense of education. If you want one-on-one help, and want it a very particular manner, expect to pay a lot for it.

• Informative
Likes DeBangis21 and symbolipoint
DraxDomax said:
Long time ago, I've chosen my purpose in life to study Electromagnetism, Electrodynamics and Electronics (analogue stuff mostly).

My problem is that I find errors in books really fast, even academic grade books.
Then I get angry, abandon the book and become too anxious to even touch the topic again for YEARS.
It's doubly frustrating to know that normal people, not only that they don't notice these mistakes, but they carry on to graduate and have careers, etc...
As smart as you might potentially be, you lack self-discipline. Becoming angry with a book due to its having mistakes and then avoiding its topics means you stop learning for a long time, while your skills and knowledge also deteriorate.
Is there both the time and the money to go school starting at a junior college and continuing on to a university? You cannot reach good competence at "Electromagnetism, Electrodynamics" without certain other Mechanics and Kinematics and maybe other supporting courses; INCLUDING certain specified Mathematics courses.

Likes DeBangis21, PhDeezNutz, DaveE and 2 others
One more thing about finding mistakes in textbooks:
There was a graduate level physical science book for a course which included about a three-page list of "errata".

You had not said how many mistakes you found; but maybe you should have searched for a better book?

symbolipoint said:
You cannot reach good competence at "Electromagnetism, Electrodynamics" without certain other Mechanics and Kinematics and maybe other supporting courses; INCLUDING certain specified Mathematics courses.
That's what I was going to say. What is your (@DraxDomax ) background in the typical pre-requisites (intro classical mechanics, intro special relativity, calculus, vector calc)?

DraxDomax said:
As a tangent, can you provide an example or two of the errors you find? Just curiosity on my part.

Likes DeBangis21 and symbolipoint
DraxDomax said:

A lot of authors of textbooks have websites where they collect corrections that have been found over time. Most textbooks owned by physicist (i.e. not libraries) had corrections written into them with pencil. I think you are mistaken that most people (who have careers in physics) don't notice mistakes, and I would suggest you work your mindset on this point.

DraxDomax said:
My original assumption was that not all physics graduates will have amazing research or jobs they are fully occupied with. All I need is someone with academic-grade knowledge of the subject and some basic pedagogy skills - who wants to make some extra money.
DraxDomax said:
too expensive

Just out of curiosity, what kind of money were you expecting to need to pay a (likely PhD) physicist? For example a cheap physics certificate with Open University I seem to find (https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/physics/certificates/certificate-in-physics-s20) is £3462 per year assuming 60 credits part time. Looking at what professional coaching (not necessarily by PhD holders) costs elsewhere, it seems to me that would give you like a face to face session every other week or so at best, and you say you want something cheaper...

If I am correct that there's some judgmental tone in the replies because I said something unsavoury about people's livelihood - I sincerely apologize!

My "lack of self discipline" is a condition I was born with. I think I have excellent self-discipline in most situations but, you see, my brain is trying to understand every single fact it receives and reconcile it with all the other facts.
Think: "lots of cogs put together, no clutch".
When I receive a fact that does not work with the other facts, think like "3 cogs in mesh, each engaged with the others" - I am stuck and it hurts.
(which is why I am not looking forward to study particle physics!)

And when the person introducing the blocking fact does not want to resolve the conflict, like a negligent but still intransigent teacher, it feels malevolent and then I lose trust.
Similarly, when it's a university-perscribed book and I am pressured to build knowledge out of facts that don't add up, I see it is systemic oppression - not by any individual, but by a "collective evil", created by stacked negligence.

Trying to explain with an example:
When I was 4 years old, my parents immigrated to Israel and went to Hebrew lessons. They couldn't afford a sitter but I was an extremely quiet child. So, they took me with them.
When the teacher read the alphabet "Pe, Tzadik, Kof" I immediately raised my hand:
- "Mistake! Zadik can't be!" (I just knew it's a mistake, I sometimes "smell" incompetence)
"No, dear, it is Tzadik"
- "You are an idiot! It's Tzadi... Kof"

She proceeded showing me a low-grade book with the same mistake but, luckily, someone else from the group thought it's interesting and checked it in an actual dictionary (it's Tzadi).

Normal people first see that it's wrong to call someone an idiot.
My brain is like: "you are a language teacher not knowing the alphabet = negligent. You refuse to verify a challenge = ego-driven = risky = destructive. I must hurt your ego. So, that you revise your knowledge. I must do that publicly to correct widespread misinformation".

I don't think I'll be a "difficult student" (I think my current ways of communication are more palatable), as long as the person I am working with is aware that I am not just trying to "get by" at school.

DraxDomax said:
I don't think I'll be a "difficult student
I think you already are,

• Requiring a textbook to have zero errors is unrealistic.
  • Requiring that your tutor teach you in exactly the style you want is going to be hard to find - and therefor expensive.
  • Complaining about expense in the light of the previous post is unproductive.
  • The constraint that not a single fact not on your list enters your brain is unrealistic, counterproductive, and will close a lot of doors.
  • Your message is mostly about how you reject the advice you got.

I see two choices - accept the advice people are giving you, or accept that you will not reach your goals.

Likes martinbn, symbolipoint and fresh_42
gmax137 said:
That's what I was going to say. What is your (@DraxDomax ) background in the typical pre-requisites (intro classical mechanics, intro special relativity, calculus, vector calc)?As a tangent, can you provide an example or two of the errors you find? Just curiosity on my part.
Ah, I was trying to forget! :D

Art of electronics (Horowitz) - Spends precious paper on explaining parallel and serial circuits and then how to get Thevenin Equivalent from really simple situations but then pops you with a question that has a complex circuit.
The author should have either assumed the reader doesn't know Kirchhoff's laws and given the reader some tools to solve that question - or remove what is essentially filler text at that point.

Electricity and Magnetism (Purcell) - Avogadro's number has shown as "...x10^-23"

Lessons in Electric Circuits (Kuphaldt) - Something like "Best wire for breadboard is 26 AWG (0.6mm)"... 26 AWG is 0.4mm (not 0.6) and would make a terrible connection, as long as gravity keeps it in the contact point.

The above is top-recommended reading material in it's 3'rd or 5'th edition...

It's not just errata, I am in general a confused person who could use guidance :)

I think I was totally misunderstood in this thread and people make wild assumptions.
I don't even know where some of the points here come from, certainly I didn't say anything like that!

Sincerely thanks for your time and have a great week!

Some number was given and then "and you want something cheaper"...

And I'm like: Wait, what, am I in the right thread? Are they talking to me? :D

I guess that's how junk ends up inside supposedly professional grade books... Editor "assumes" what the author wrote, does not actually read and passes it on :D

You wrote (my emphasis):
DraxDomax said:
- Considered enrolling into a distance program: Too long, too much time per week, too expensive (again, I don't need to know nuclear physics, optics, mechanics, etc...)
So I looked up what a popular distance program charges. My conclusion was that the equivalent amount will probably not buy you a lot of individual face-to-face time. But I asked what your idea of a price was, so please correct me if you had other numbers in mind.

DraxDomax said:
I think I was totally misunderstood in this thread and people make wild assumptions.
I think you make wild assumptions here, too. It is a matter of fact that it is impossible to describe an entire person, or even his personal circumstances in a format like this on the internet. There will inevitably be lacks, unanswered questions, and misunderstood words. We communicate by about 90% with body language, and this important kind of expression is missing here.

Now, what do people do, if they lack information? They extrapolate based on what has been given to them. This might fit, or - more often - won't fit. The alternative would be to keep quiet. Every form of advising in such a framework underlies these restrictions. Hence, we - you inclusive - either give up any help in the two advising forums we have since there are system immanent deficiencies, or we accept that not every answer hits the nail.

This is in my mind what's going on: you look for perfection in an environment that is set by humans. This cannot be achieved when they write books and even less when they advise others if they have to fill lacks by guesses based on their own - and usually very different - experiences. Humans make mistakes. There is no way to eliminate this component in any process where they are involved.

Most importantly: you will not be able to eliminate this human component in a setup based on a personal tutorial. The opposite is the case. I predict that this endeavor will fail, too. And if some minor mistakes in a textbook already cause you to give up, how will you ever stand human decisions that you do not agree with?

The only way out of this dilemma is in my opinion you use three to four different books on the same subject and either the majority of them has it right when one fails, or if they all are wrong, then chances are high that you made a mistake in your understanding.

Likes berkeman, PeroK and Vanadium 50
OP:

* If I am being paid to do a job, often I need to deal with difficult people. I either need to learn to deal with them, or I need to change jobs.

* If I am volunteering (i.e., working for free), however, I do not need to deal with difficult people. I can simply choose not to deal with them.

* Remember: We all here on this forum (and similar forums) are serving as volunteers.

Likes Vanadium 50 and fresh_42
I think you should be pleased that you identified the errors. It shows that you're thinking while studying. Just mark the errors in your books and move on.

Likes symbolipoint and Dr.AbeNikIanEdL
gmax137 said:
I think you should be pleased that you identified the errors. It shows that you're thinking while studying. Just mark the errors in your books and move on.
Just a few seconds ago I thought:

If a book enables you to recognize its mistakes, then I would call it an excellent book!

DraxDomax said:
Trying to explain with an example:
When I was 4 years old, my parents immigrated to Israel and went to Hebrew lessons. They couldn't afford a sitter but I was an extremely quiet child. So, they took me with them.
When the teacher read the alphabet "Pe, Tzadik, Kof" I immediately raised my hand:
- "Mistake! Zadik can't be!" (I just knew it's a mistake, I sometimes "smell" incompetence)
"No, dear, it is Tzadik"
That seems to be a big cultural misunderstanding about cultural and linguistic differences. At least one needs to learn to recognize these. I cannot currently explain this any better.

fresh_42 said:
The only way out of this dilemma is in my opinion you use three to four different books on the same subject and either the majority of them has it right when one fails, or if they all are wrong, then chances are high that you made a mistake in your understanding.
That part is good!

Likes berkeman
symbolipoint said:
That part is good!
Thank you, however, I think the other parts were good, too.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Edit: I am also frustrated by errors, however I have come to realise that, like beauty, errors are in the eye of the beholder. Let's have another look at your examples:

DraxDomax said:
"No, dear, it is Tzadik"
From WikiPedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsade: "The letter is named "tsadek" in Yiddish, and Hebrew speakers often give it a similar name as well."

DraxDomax said:
Art of electronics (Horowitz) - Spends precious paper on explaining parallel and serial circuits and then how to get Thevenin Equivalent from really simple situations but then pops you with a question that has a complex circuit.
The author should have either assumed the reader doesn't know Kirchhoff's laws and given the reader some tools to solve that question - or remove what is essentially filler text at that point.
That's not a mistake, that is the author using a style that you don't like.

DraxDomax said:
Electricity and Magnetism (Purcell) - Avogadro's number has shown as "...x10^-23"
Corrected in the errata easily found online: https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/david-morin/files/pmcorrections.pdf

DraxDomax said:
Lessons in Electric Circuits (Kuphaldt) - Something like "Best wire for breadboard is 26 AWG (0.6mm)"... 26 AWG is 0.4mm (not 0.6) and would make a terrible connection, as long as gravity keeps it in the contact point.
I don't recognise this as "top-recommended reading material": it is a free, self-published book available online. I can't find anything that fits your memory in it, the closest is "A more common method of temporary construction for the hobbyist is the solderless breadboard, a device made of plastic with hundreds of spring-loaded connection sockets joining the inserted ends of components and/or 22-gauge solid wire pieces."

DraxDomax said:
It's not just errata, I am in general a confused person who could use guidance :)
  • Embrace your neurodivergence.
  • Recognise that we live in an imperfect world.
  • Recognise that it is no-one else's job to overcome the difficulties you have dealing with imperfection, even if you pay them.
  • Consider studying using MIT's Open Courseware. You will be interested in particular in Physics II: Electricty and Magnetism, but to get there you first need to know:

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and fresh_42
I have a QM book on my shelf somewhere that has an expression for energies that looks something like

[tex]\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}(h^2 + j^2 + k^2)[/tex]

You will see that they used h to mean two different things. Bad? Sure. Did anybody notice? Not many, because it was clear from the context what was meant. A reason to toss the whole book? Nope.

Likes martinbn and berkeman

1. What is a high-functioning autistic adult?

A high-functioning autistic adult is an individual who has been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and has developed strong cognitive abilities and communication skills. They may still experience challenges with social interactions and sensory processing, but are able to live independently and excel in certain areas.

2. How can I find a graduate tutor for a high-functioning autistic adult?

There are several ways to find a graduate tutor for a high-functioning autistic adult. You can search online for tutoring services that specialize in working with individuals with ASD, reach out to local universities or colleges for graduate students who have experience with autism, or ask for recommendations from other parents or professionals in the field.

3. What qualifications should I look for in a graduate tutor for a high-functioning autistic adult?

When looking for a graduate tutor for a high-functioning autistic adult, it is important to consider their education and experience. Look for someone who has a degree in a relevant field, such as special education or psychology, and has experience working with individuals with ASD. It can also be helpful to find someone who has experience with the specific challenges and strengths of high-functioning autistic adults.

4. How can I ensure that the graduate tutor is a good fit for a high-functioning autistic adult?

Before hiring a graduate tutor for a high-functioning autistic adult, it is important to have a consultation or trial session to see if they are a good fit. This will give you and the tutor a chance to discuss the individual's needs and goals, and for the tutor to demonstrate their teaching style. It is also important to communicate openly and regularly with the tutor to address any concerns or make adjustments as needed.

5. What are some strategies that a graduate tutor can use to support a high-functioning autistic adult?

A graduate tutor can use a variety of strategies to support a high-functioning autistic adult. These may include breaking down tasks into smaller steps, using visual aids or schedules, providing clear and direct instructions, and incorporating the individual's interests into the learning material. They may also use positive reinforcement and praise to encourage and motivate the individual. It is important for the tutor to be flexible and adapt their strategies to meet the individual's specific needs and learning style.