Register to reply

How much (roughly) brake torque can be produced by a regular car

by pfk
Tags: brake torque
Share this thread:
pfk
Feb14-12, 12:08 PM
P: 5
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum but you have helped me many times in the past.

I need your opinion about how much (roughly) brake torque can be produced by a regular car.

I am developing a simplified vehicle model and I don't know how much torque to apply when the vehicle slows down. I apply 200-300Nm for a "soft" deceleration, almost 1000Nm for "medium" and 2000Nm for hard one.

Do those values make sense to you?

Thank you for your time!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
xxChrisxx
Feb14-12, 12:46 PM
P: 2,048
The question as posed makes little sense.

It's a function of tyre grip, as all brakes as designed can lock the wheels up. Disregarding the complexities of pneumatic tyres (assuming that standard friction equations are valid).

Maximum braking will occur just before the tyre locks up. This is:
static coefficient of friction * load on tyre.

F = mu*Fn

The maximum torque applied:
force * the distance to the centre of the wheel.

T=Fd
pfk
Feb14-12, 12:55 PM
Sorry about my question. I am not looking for a particular equation, I am looking for some empirical data. My model is very simplified, so I’m not taking in to consideration the dynamics of the wheels.

I would like to know what is the brake capability [brake torque Nm] of an average vehicle.

AlephZero
Feb14-12, 02:22 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,175
How much (roughly) brake torque can be produced by a regular car

Quote Quote by pfk View Post
My model is very simplified, so Iím not taking in to consideration the dynamics of the wheels.
You could start by taking the legal maximum braking distances in your country that are required for vehicle safety checks etc, and usually published in books on learning to drive. Use those figures and a typical mass of the vehicle to estimate the braking torque
pfk
Feb14-12, 04:10 PM
Great idea! Thank you!
Mech_Engineer
Feb14-12, 04:23 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
You could just simply model the maximum braking acceleration the car is capable of. I think most cars as a general rule are capable of about -1.0g of braking acceleration (60-0mph in 110 feet); high-performance cars even more, maybe 1.3g (60-0mph in 90 feet).

Braking curves for most cars are usually pretty flat too (pretty constant acceleration), as long as they have anti-lock brakes and don't overheat the brakes.
pfk
Feb17-12, 12:59 PM
Quote Quote by Mech_Engineer View Post
You could just simply model the maximum braking acceleration the car is capable of. I think most cars as a general rule are capable of about -1.0g of braking acceleration (60-0mph in 110 feet); high-performance cars even more, maybe 1.3g (60-0mph in 90 feet).

Braking curves for most cars are usually pretty flat too (pretty constant acceleration), as long as they have anti-lock brakes and don't overheat the brakes.

Thank you!

I found that the 2200kg SUV that I approach is capable of -3000Nm brake torque. So, I multiply the brake pedal position [0,..,1] with the -3000 and the result is one of the 3 inputs that my mode has.

Register to reply