Automatic brake applying system

In summary,The mechanic is looking for a way to measure the torque required to press the brake pedal in a car with a vacuum-assisted power brake. He is considering using a servo to do this.
Sridhar96
Hi fellas!

I need to develop a system for a self driving car which involves automatically presses brake,clutch and accelerator when required.I am planning to use a servo for this purpose and have some trouble identifying the torque requirements!

How much torque do i need?assume the lever arm(distance of brake from servo shaft is around 10-15 cm.)
If not known.. kindly share any method available so i can measure the torque required.

If force needed to press the pedal is known..dividing by lever arm should give my torque requirment.

I will be using a car which has vacuum assisted power brake i guess.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Have a great day!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should be able to answer your own questions by finding a car like the one you need to design and looking at it's systems.
i.e. how much torque is required to break at what rate for the cars you are most familiar with?

Those cars probably have a foot-pedal ... so you could design a device that acts as the foot+leg part and keep everything else the same ... refine the design by looking to see how much of the mechanism you can replace. Basically though, there is no substitute for climbing into a car and just looking.

You probably should not be guessing about the type of breaking system i the car you use - the possible variables are too wide otherwise, and it will be impossible to answer your questions.

Sridhar96 said:
Hi fellas!

I need to develop a system for a self driving car which involves automatically presses brake,clutch and accelerator when required.I am planning to use a servo for this purpose and have some trouble identifying the torque requirements!

How much torque do i need?assume the lever arm(distance of brake from servo shaft is around 10-15 cm.)
If not known.. kindly share any method available so i can measure the torque required.

If force needed to press the pedal is known..dividing by lever arm should give my torque requirment.

I will be using a car which has vacuum assisted power brake i guess.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Have a great day!
Why not use automatic transmission and ABS-Automatic Braking System. This is a serious engineering job I advice you hire a pro or consult a buddy engineer.
This will involve controls and mechanical engineering stuff. But if you like to pursue, there is no limit to interest, you may sort out by studying machine design and controls system or the easy way but the expensive and time consuming : Trial and error.

Ronie Bayron said:
Why not use automatic transmission and ABS-Automatic Braking System. This is a serious engineering job I advice you hire a pro or consult a buddy engineer.
This will involve controls and mechanical engineering stuff. But if you like to pursue, there is no limit to interest, you may sort out by studying machine design and controls system or the easy way but the expensive and time consuming : Trial and error.

Hey,
Right now our focus is testing the AI part. We need a quick and dirty fix for the parts I have mentioned. We have the design planned out, but need the torque rating of the three servo required, hence the thread

Take a look at the picture uploaded!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-11-02-14-26-06.png
    Screenshot_2015-11-02-14-26-06.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 404
Sridhar96 said:
Hey,
Right now our focus is testing the AI part. We need a quick and dirty fix for the parts I have mentioned. We have the design planned out, but need the torque rating of the three servo required, hence the thread

Also, the car has already been purchased and we need not just automatic breaking, but also clutch accelerator steering and gear box.

Simon Bridge said:
You should be able to answer your own questions by finding a car like the one you need to design and looking at it's systems.
i.e. how much torque is required to break at what rate for the cars you are most familiar with?

Those cars probably have a foot-pedal ... so you could design a device that acts as the foot+leg part and keep everything else the same ... refine the design by looking to see how much of the mechanism you can replace. Basically though, there is no substitute for climbing into a car and just looking.

You probably should not be guessing about the type of breaking system i the car you use - the possible variables are too wide otherwise, and it will be impossible to answer your questions.
Hi , you have misunderstood my question I think. I am not concerned on how to design it as we are prepared with that. Take a look at the image posted below. Also, the car in question has already been purchased (manual transmission) and we can only make changes it in the external part.

For the servo used in the picture, I want to know a way to know the torque rating of the servo needed.

Sridhar96 said:
Hey,

There's no way, to tell how much torque is needed, as you see, forces and energy is dependent on geometrics (dimensions). There's no way to tell how much magnitude is enough without seeing your design.
Any how, I believe I am only limited with the advice on directions I can give you, serious engineering involve cost you know and should not be practice on forums like this.

Practical tests will yield better and quicker answers than any Q+A on PF . If there is an unknown force in a real piece of equipment then do whatever it takes to measure it .

Pedal - put a brick on it - if it doesn't move put another brick on it . When pedal floors count the bricks .

Likes billy_joule and Ronie Bayron
Ronie Bayron said:
There's no way, to tell how much torque is needed, as ,you see, forces and energy is dependent on geometrics (dimensions). There's no way to tell how much magnitude is enough without seeing your design.
Any how, I believe I am only limited with the advice on directions I can give you, serious engineering involve cost you know and should not be practice on forums like this.
Hi, I have attached picture of design for brake pedal. Kindly take a look and see if it helps you make any conclusion. It is okay if the servo we buy is underworked. Lever arm is around 15 cm!

Sridhar96 said:
Hi, I have attached picture of design for brake pedal. Kindly take a look and see if it helps you make any conclusion. It is okay if the servo we buy is underworked. Lever arm is around 15 cm!

I can't see any attachment.
Unless you've done what Nidium suggested or have otherwise found the required force for your particular car then we can't help.

Engineering design almost always starts with defining the design specifications.At the absolute minimum you must know:
- How fast must the brake be pushed (milliseconds between min and max extension)
-How hard must the brake be pushed (Newtons, this likely varies with extension)

If you can't answer these questions then you can't select a servo.

What is an automatic brake applying system?

An automatic brake applying system is a safety feature in vehicles that automatically applies the brakes when it senses an imminent collision. This system helps to prevent or reduce the severity of accidents by assisting the driver in emergency situations.

How does an automatic brake applying system work?

The system uses a combination of sensors, cameras, and radar to detect objects in the vehicle's path. If the system determines that a collision is about to occur, it will apply the brakes automatically, either partially or fully, depending on the situation.

Can the automatic brake applying system be turned off?

Yes, most vehicles with this feature allow the driver to turn it off temporarily. However, it is not recommended to do so, as it can greatly reduce the chances of avoiding an accident in an emergency situation.

Is an automatic brake applying system reliable?

Yes, automatic brake applying systems have been extensively tested and have proven to be highly reliable. However, as with any technology, there may be rare instances where it does not function properly. It is important for drivers to still remain attentive and ready to take control of the vehicle if needed.

Do all vehicles have an automatic brake applying system?

No, not all vehicles come equipped with this feature. It is typically found in newer, more advanced models, and may be available as an optional add-on in some vehicles. It is best to check with the manufacturer or dealership to see if a specific vehicle has this feature.