Tags: complex, series, tricky
Share this thread:
matt.qmar
Feb14-12, 01:57 PM
P: 8
Hey,

I am trying to determine the convergence/divergence of

Ʃn=1 in/n.

I have tried all the tests I could think of (Comparison, Ratio, Root, nth term) and cannot determine it's convergence.

If there was a formula, for say, the Mth partial sum SM then, if the limit as M → ∞ of SM is L, we have convergence to L but I can't seem to arrange for the thing to add up the first M terms.

Clearly, I think something can be done with the fact that in = {i, -1, -i, 1} repeatably with periodicity 4. I'm not sure how this can exactly be of help though!

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
jackmell
Feb14-12, 02:12 PM
P: 1,666
Do you know the power series for [itex]\log(1-z)[/itex]? It has a raidus of convergence equal to one. However convergence on the boundary [itex]|z|=1[/itex] is well, what? Take a look at Wikipedia for "Radius of Convergence".
matt.qmar
Feb14-12, 02:40 PM
Ah! I see, and we have |i| = 1 but i ≠ 1 so there we go!

Thanks a bunch. Factoring out the -1 seems to make it all go quite nicely.

matt.qmar
Feb14-12, 02:41 PM
Tricky Complex Series

Ʃn=1 in/n = -log(1-i), woo hoo!
jackmell
Feb14-12, 03:01 PM
You know, that's really not good enough. Why does it converge on the boundary except for z=1? Or rather prove that it does. If you wish anyway.
matt.qmar
Feb14-12, 03:32 PM
Ah, Thanks for the heads up. I suppose I sort of took that for granted. Would http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel%27...mplex_analysis works to show convergence for all z ≠ 1 on the boundary (in particular, at our point i ≠ 1), as the an's are monotonically decreasing? Some the an, however, are negative...

Trying to take some zo ≠ 1 with |zo| = 1 and using some other test (root, comparison, etc.) doesn't seem to work either, though...
jackmell
Feb15-12, 05:27 AM
Yeah, I don't know off-hand how to show that. There are tests to check for convergence on the boundary. Would need to look into thoses. Don't thinik Abel test would apply though.

Register to reply