Series Convergence Or Divergence

In summary, after applying the limit comparison test and showing that the remaining infinite sum is smaller than a convergent p-series, we can conclude that the original series $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}{ \frac{\left[ \ln{\left( n \right) } \right] ^{12}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}} } \end{align*}$ converges.
tmt1
I have

$$\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{(lnn)^ {12}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$$

I'm trying the limit comparison test, so I let $$ b = \frac{1}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$$ and $a = \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{(lnn)^ {12}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$

$\frac{a}{b} = (lnn)^ {12}$ therefore I know the limit of this as n approaches infinity would be infinity.

Since $\infty > 0$, $a$ should converge if $b$ converges or diverge if $b$ diverges.

Since b converges ($9/8 > 1$, so $ \frac{1}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$ should converge), then a must converge.

Therefore, the original series converges. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
tmt said:
I have

$$\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{(lnn)^ {12}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$$

I'm trying the limit comparison test, so I let $$ b = \frac{1}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$$ and $a = \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \frac{(lnn)^ {12}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$

$\frac{a}{b} = (lnn)^ {12}$ therefore I know the limit of this as n approaches infinity would be infinity.

Since $\infty > 0$, $a$ should converge if $b$ converges or diverge if $b$ diverges.

Since b converges ($9/8 > 1$, so $ \frac{1}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}}$ should converge), then a must converge.

Therefore, the original series converges. Is this correct?

First of all, you should note that any finite sum always gives a finite value.

For very large values of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} n \end{align*}$ (i.e. $\displaystyle \begin{align*} n > 2.661334067039 \cdot 10^{603} \end{align*}$) we have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left[ \ln{ \left( n \right) } \right] ^{12} < n^{\frac{1}{16}} \end{align*}$, so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{\textrm{Very large }n}^{\infty}{ \frac{\left[ \ln{ \left( n \right) } \right] ^{12}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}} } &< \sum_{\textrm{Very large }n}^{\infty}{ \frac{n^{\frac{1}{16}}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}} } \\ &= \sum_{\textrm{Very large }n}^{\infty}{ \frac{1}{n^{\frac{17}{16}}} } \end{align*}$

which is a convergent p series as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{17}{16} > 1 \end{align*}$.

Thus the first $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2.661334067039\cdot 10^{603} \end{align*}$ terms will give a finite value, and we have shown that the remaining infinite sum converges by comparison, so that means $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}{ \frac{\left[ \ln{\left( n \right) } \right] ^{12}}{n^{\frac{9}{8}}} } \end{align*}$ is convergent.

What is series convergence?

Series convergence refers to the behavior of an infinite mathematical series, where the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

What is series divergence?

Series divergence refers to the behavior of an infinite mathematical series, where the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases.

How can I test for series convergence or divergence?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test.

What is the significance of series convergence or divergence in mathematics?

Series convergence and divergence play a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and number theory. They allow us to determine the behavior of infinite sequences and to make predictions about the behavior of real-world systems.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If the sum of its terms approaches a finite value, it is convergent; if it does not, it is divergent.