Exploring Time and Space: The Possibility of Time Crystals

In summary, the articles discuss the possibility of crystals existing not only in space, but also in time. This concept raises questions about time symmetry and the potential for perpetual motion. However, it remains unclear how these crystals could be interacted with without affecting their movement in time.
blackraven
I read this article: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/338500/title/Crystals_may_be_possible_in_time_as_well_as_space

What dimensions is the article talking about? Doesn't everything have a fourth dimension, time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Found another one here: http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27583/. Interesting article. From what I gather it involves time, as well as space. A quote from the article:
"Of course, there will be disputes over some of the issues this raises. One of them is that the motion that breaks time symmetry seems a little puzzling. Wilczek and Shapere acknowledge this: “Speaking broadly speaking, what we're looking for looks perilously close to perpetual motion.”"

If so, I fail to see how they will be able to interact with the crystal without slowing it down. But I might be missing something :uhh:.

1. What exactly are dimensions in science?

Dimensions in science refer to the measurable physical quantities that describe the size, shape, and position of an object or system. These include length, width, height, time, mass, temperature, and many others.

2. How many dimensions are there?

In classical physics, there are three dimensions: length, width, and height. However, in modern physics, there are more than three dimensions, including time and additional dimensions that are theorized in string theory and other branches of physics.

3. What do scientists mean by "higher dimensions"?

Scientists use the term "higher dimensions" to describe dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we can perceive. These dimensions are often used in theoretical physics to explain phenomena that cannot be fully understood in three-dimensional space.

4. How do dimensions affect our perception of reality?

Dimensions play a crucial role in shaping our perception of reality. Our brains are wired to interpret the world in three dimensions, but concepts such as time and higher dimensions can expand our understanding of reality and challenge our perception of the world around us.

5. Can we physically experience higher dimensions?

We can only experience the three dimensions of length, width, and height in our physical reality. However, scientists have proposed various thought experiments and mathematical models to help us understand and visualize higher dimensions, even though we cannot physically experience them.