Understanding Time Crystals: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, time crystals are a type of crystal that change in a regular, repeating pattern over time, unlike traditional crystals which vary only in space. They are considered a ground state, meaning they are stable and do not decay to a lower energy state. Some similar structures can be seen in dissipative systems, but the uniqueness of time crystals lies in their ability to maintain their structure without external energy.
Hsopitalist
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Trying to wrap my head around time crystals
Just read an article about time crystals. I understand regular crystals vary in a routine fashion through space but are unchanged over time. Time crystals apparently change periodically over time. I tried the usual googling but my brain has nowhere to put this. Can someone dumb this down for me?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of this before. Do you have a reference to the article you read?

Likes Hsopitalist
It was in the popular press referring to a paper in nature earlier this year about the first witnessed interaction between two time crystals. I will dig and see if I can find it.

Hmm. I don't think I can help you. This is the first time I've read about them. Perhaps someone else here can chime in.

Likes Hsopitalist
Time crystal is a ground state periodically repeating in time. There is nothing strange about a state periodically repeating in time - think e.g. pendulum. What is strange about the time crystal is that it is a ground state. This means that it is stable, so, unlike a pendulum, it cannot decay to a lower energy state so it never stops.

• Informative
Likes Hsopitalist, Klystron, weirdoguy and 2 others
Not sure if this is relevant, but some dissipative systems (for instance reaction-diffusion systems [1] like the BZ reaction [2]) can exhibit both regular spatial structure (e.g. Turing stripes and hexagons) as well temporal structure (e.g. Hopf oscillations [3]) for other system parameters.

Since such structures are limit cycles of the given system, I assume they could in some sense be said to exhibit a temporal "ground state" structure. Of course, just like a simple (dissipative) resonator these system needs energy to maintain their structure, so the interesting phenomenon in those examples is perhaps mostly that a fairly fixed "resonant" spatial or temporal structure form for a wide range of system parameters and not so much that the structures represent an energy ground state of a non-closed system.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction–diffusion_system
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belousov–Zhabotinsky_reaction
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopf_bifurcation

Likes Hsopitalist

1. What are time crystals?

Time crystals are a new and exciting area of research in physics. They are a type of matter that has a repeating pattern in time, similar to how crystals have a repeating pattern in space. This means that time crystals have a structure that repeats itself over and over again, even though time itself is always moving forward.

2. How are time crystals different from regular crystals?

Regular crystals have a repeating pattern in space, while time crystals have a repeating pattern in time. This means that regular crystals have a fixed structure that does not change over time, while time crystals have a structure that changes and repeats itself over time.

3. How are time crystals created?

Time crystals are created by using a process called "driving". This involves applying a periodic force to a system of particles, causing them to move in a specific pattern. This pattern then repeats itself over time, creating a time crystal.

4. What are the potential applications of time crystals?

Time crystals have the potential to revolutionize many areas of science and technology. They could be used in quantum computing, precision measurements, and even as a new type of clock. They could also help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics.

5. Are time crystals just a theoretical concept, or have they been observed in real life?

While the concept of time crystals was first proposed in 2012, it was not until 2017 that scientists were able to successfully create and observe them in a lab. This groundbreaking discovery has opened up a whole new field of research and has the potential to lead to many exciting developments in the future.