need help with numerical integration

by Rositta
Tags: integration, numerical
Rositta
Jan23-12, 08:29 AM
P: 13
Would any one please suggest the best numerical method for integrating complicated integrands and singular functions? I find that Gauss quadratures are suggested by many references but I can't find a method to obtain the abscissas and weights for a general function.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
I like Serena
Jan23-12, 07:03 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,189
Quote Quote by Rositta View Post
Would any one please suggest the best numerical method for integrating complicated integrands and singular functions? I find that Gauss quadratures are suggested by many references but I can't find a method to obtain the abscissas and weights for a general function.
Welcome to PF, Rositta!

My book "Numerical Recipes for C" has a chapter on integration and in particular a paragraph on the integration of improper integrals.

As I understand it, you need to find out where the singularities are, so you can calculate open-ended integrations of the sections between the singularities.
Saladsamurai
Jan23-12, 07:51 PM
P: 3,012
Quote Quote by I like Serena View Post
Welcome to PF, Rositta!

My book "Numerical Recipes for C" has a chapter on integration and in particular a paragraph on the integration of improper integrals.

As I understand it, you need to find out where the singularities are, so you can calculate open-ended integrations of the sections between the singularities.
Hi I like Serena Do you have a link to this? I am having no problem finding "Numerical Recipes in C" but not so much "for C" or is that what you meant?

I like Serena
Jan24-12, 12:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,189

need help with numerical integration

Quote Quote by Saladsamurai View Post
Hi I like Serena. Do you have a link to this? I am having no problem finding "Numerical Recipes in C" but not so much "for C" or is that what you meant?
Yep. That's what I meant.
Their website is here:
http://www.nr.com/
Rositta
Feb17-12, 04:52 AM
P: 13
Thaks all

Register to reply