Decomposing a Function for Numerical Integration

In summary, there are tutorials and references available for decomposing functions, specifically Fourier and Legendre decomposition, for numerical integration. The method commonly used is Gauss Quadrature, and the decomposition process involves a trial and error approach to determine the optimal number of quadrature points for different regions of the function. This approach takes into account the varying complexity of the function in different regions.
ecastro
Is their a tutorial or a reference on how to decompose a function, specifically Fourier and Legendre decomposition, for numerical integration? The method I am going to use for the numerical integration is the Gauss Quadrature, and I suppose I need to decompose my function for the rule to work.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ecastro said:
Is their a tutorial or a reference on how to decompose a function, specifically Fourier and Legendre decomposition, for numerical integration? The method I am going to use for the numerical integration is the Gauss Quadrature, and I suppose I need to decompose my function for the rule to work.

to decompose a function in gauss quadrature method ...one does a trial and error approach leading to a stable value.
however it depends on the nature of the function which is being integrated...
a common/general approach is to fit more number of quadrature points in those regions where function is varying in a complex manner and keep less points in 'smooth varying regions like asymptotic regions where the function is falling off linearly.

Likes jim mcnamara

What is "Decomposing a Function for Numerical Integration"?

Decomposing a function for numerical integration is a process of breaking down a complex function into smaller, simpler functions in order to approximate the area under the curve using numerical methods.

Why is it necessary to decompose a function for numerical integration?

Decomposing a function allows us to use numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the area under the curve. This is useful when we cannot find an exact antiderivative of the function or when the function is too complex to integrate analytically.

What are some common methods for decomposing a function for numerical integration?

Some common methods include using algebraic transformations, such as substitution or partial fractions, to simplify the function. Other methods involve breaking the function into smaller intervals and approximating the area under each interval using a numerical method.

What are the benefits of decomposing a function for numerical integration?

Decomposing a function allows us to approximate the area under a curve with greater accuracy compared to using a single numerical method on the entire function. It also allows for easier computation and can help us understand the behavior of the function in different intervals.

Are there any limitations to decomposing a function for numerical integration?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the approximation depends on the chosen decomposition method and the number of intervals used. Additionally, decomposing a function can be time-consuming and may not always be possible for certain functions.