Fundamental assumption of statistical mech

In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics which states that all microstates of a system are equally probable. This assumption is supported by Liouville's theorem, but it is not universally accepted as intuitive. The conversation also explores a scenario where energy is exchanged between quantum oscillators in a system and questions why this is not taken into consideration in the fundamental assumption. Some work is being done to justify the assumptions of statistical mechanics from the dynamics of a pure quantum state.
aaaa202
Quite a long title :D

The fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics states, that all microstates of a system are equally probable. From what I know Liouvilles theorem should support this, but other than that I think it is just a pure assumption.

Now I'm not really sure if I find it intuitive. Suppose you have one system with 100 quantum oscillators storing each one energy unit and it's put in contact with another solid storing no energy but which also consists of 100 quantum oscillators. Then the fundamental assumption says that, the energy will get passed around randomly such that all the combined microstates are equally probable.

But why doesn't it consider the case where the quantum oscillators in solid one exchange energy with each other? I mean for instance, why can't oscillator one with one unit of energy not transfer energy to oscillator two which also transfers energy back to oscillator one such that not overall change has happened - i.e. solid one still has 100 oscillators with one energy unit in each?

(Or maybe that wouldn't matter when I think about it because then for the others there would also be 100! ways of arranging them..)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics?

The fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics is that the behavior of a large collection of particles can be described by statistical laws, rather than individual particle interactions. This allows for the prediction of macroscopic properties of a system based on the properties of its constituent particles.

2. How does the fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the behavior of a system is determined by the exact positions and momenta of its particles. In statistical mechanics, the behavior is instead described by the probability distribution of the particles. This allows for a more practical and accurate description of systems with a large number of particles.

3. Can the fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics be applied to all systems?

While the fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics is widely applicable, it is not suitable for all systems. It is most useful for systems with a large number of particles, and those that are in equilibrium or close to equilibrium.

4. How does statistical mechanics relate to thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics provides a microscopic explanation for the laws of thermodynamics. It allows for the calculation of macroscopic thermodynamic quantities, such as energy and entropy, from the properties of individual particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is used to study the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as complex systems such as biological molecules and polymers. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the design of materials with specific properties.