Modeling Thermal Equilibrium in Interacting Einstein Solids: A Python Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of python code to model Einstein solids in thermal equilibrium. The fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics is assumed within each solid, and there is a probability of energy packets switching between the two solids at each discrete time step. The probability of switching depends on a constant, c, which is assumed to be the same for both solids. The model is checked against Newton's law of cooling and is found to be accurate in the high temperature limit.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
How can we model the interaction between two Einstein solids within short periods of time?
When I learned about Einstein solids in thermal physics, we assumed the fundamental assumption of statistical mechanics. For two interacting Einstein solids, I completely understand why this is valid after a considerable amount of time has passed. But, how can we model these solids as they get to thermal equilibrium?

I’m thinking of this in terms of python code (I thought doing a model like this would be a fun idea for my semester project in coding), so I’m thinking about discrete time steps as opposed to continuous time.

Here are my thoughts so far:
For each time step, every packet of energy has a probability of switching solids. Within a solid, though, the fundamental assumption is still assumed. The probability of switching from solid a with ##N_a## oscillators to solid b with ##N_b## oscillators would need to be less than or equal to ##\frac{N_b}{N_a+N_b}##. Similarly, the probability of switching from solid b to solid a would need to be less than or equal to ##\frac{N_a}{N_a+N_b}##.

Thus far, how does it sound? To me, assuming the fundamental assumption within the solid seems reasonable even considering time, but is it? I know there is a time it takes heat to travel across an object, but can I assume that this is negligible compared to the time it takes heat to travel within objects?

If my model is ok thus far, my next thought is about what these “switching” probabilities depend on. The easiest thing is that there is some constant ##0\leq c\leq 1##, which is the same for both solids, where the probability of switching from a to b is ##c*\frac{N_b}{N_a+N_b}##, and the probability of switching from b to a is ##c*\frac{N_a}{N_a+N_b}##.

Do you think it is reasonable to assume that c is the same for both solids? I also have argued with myself about temperature dependence (i.e. a given energy packet is more likely to escape from a solid with a lot of energy packets than from a solid with few), but I figured that an individual energy packet does not know or care about how many energy packets are nearby (and not repelling, as with, say, charge). By nature of the way I set this up, there would be a higher chance of SOME energy packet escaping a higher temperature solid, as there are more energy packets compared to oscillators, but the probability for any individual packet is independent of temperature.

I would really appreciate any feedback you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac0427 said:
Do you think it is reasonable to assume that c is the same for both solids?
It has to be, as it is a property of the two objects together.

You'll have to check that your model reproduces Newton's law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_cooling

DrClaude said:
It has to be, as it is a property of the two objects together.

You'll have to check that your model reproduces Newton's law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_cooling
It definitely checks out in the high temperature limit (##T=\frac{\epsilon q}{Nk}##) with two identical solids. I can't seem to figure out it it works with solids of different sizes.

EDIT: I figured out that in the high temperature limit, it agrees with Newton’s law of cooling for any sized solids. Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is an Einstein solid?

An Einstein solid is a theoretical model in statistical mechanics that represents a solid as a collection of independent, harmonic oscillators. It was proposed by Albert Einstein in 1907 to explain the specific heat capacity of solids at low temperatures.

2. How does an Einstein solid relate to time?

An Einstein solid is an idealized model that helps us understand how energy is distributed among particles in a solid. This can be related to the concept of time because the movement of particles in a solid is affected by time, and the distribution of energy in the solid can change over time.

3. What is the significance of Einstein solids in physics?

Einstein solids are significant in physics because they provide a simple model for understanding the behavior of solids at low temperatures. They also helped pave the way for the development of quantum mechanics and the study of atomic and molecular energy levels.

4. Can Einstein solids be applied to real-world materials?

While Einstein solids are an idealized model, they can be applied to real-world materials to some extent. However, they do not take into account all the complexities of real solids, such as intermolecular forces and crystal structures.

5. How does the concept of time change in the context of Einstein solids?

In the context of Einstein solids, time is seen as a factor that affects the distribution of energy among particles in a solid. As time passes, the energy distribution may change, and this can impact the overall behavior of the solid. Additionally, the concept of time in Einstein solids is closely related to the concept of temperature, as the two are intertwined in the model.