Register to reply

Electromagnetic and strong force

by johann1301
Tags: electromagnetic, force, strong
Share this thread:
johann1301
Feb19-12, 10:10 AM
P: 187
I have heard that the strong nuclear force is stronger then the electromagnetic force at short ranges, "Up to two and a half times the proton diameter". Ok, so i have an approximation of the length it dominates over the electromagnetic force, but i don't know where the force starts from; is it at the center of the proton, or is it from the edge? And why does my source say "up to" and not exactly? Why is this length only an approximation??

source: look at 0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkoj...eature=related
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
lugita15
Feb19-12, 10:35 AM
P: 1,583
Protons and neutrons are made of quarks, which are point particles. The strong force is a force between quarks.
jtbell
Feb19-12, 11:31 AM
Mentor
P: 11,875
The "strong force" between nucleons (protons and neutrons) is a sort of "residual effect" from the interactions among the quarks that they're composed of. It's analogous to the van der Waals force between atoms and molecules, which is a residual effect of the electromagnetic forces among the nuciel and electrons that they're composed of.

johann1301
Feb20-12, 06:39 AM
P: 187
Electromagnetic and strong force

What does residual mean?

Register to reply