Register to reply

Electromagnetic and strong force

by johann1301
Tags: electromagnetic, force, strong
Share this thread:
johann1301
Feb19-12, 10:10 AM
P: 147
I have heard that the strong nuclear force is stronger then the electromagnetic force at short ranges, "Up to two and a half times the proton diameter". Ok, so i have an approximation of the length it dominates over the electromagnetic force, but i don't know where the force starts from; is it at the center of the proton, or is it from the edge? And why does my source say "up to" and not exactly? Why is this length only an approximation??

source: look at 0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkoj...eature=related
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Guidelines for enhancing solar cells using surface plasmon polaritons
Promising ferroelectric materials suffer from unexpected electric polarizations
'Cavity protection effect' helps to conserve quantum information
lugita15
Feb19-12, 10:35 AM
P: 1,583
Protons and neutrons are made of quarks, which are point particles. The strong force is a force between quarks.
jtbell
Feb19-12, 11:31 AM
Mentor
P: 11,734
The "strong force" between nucleons (protons and neutrons) is a sort of "residual effect" from the interactions among the quarks that they're composed of. It's analogous to the van der Waals force between atoms and molecules, which is a residual effect of the electromagnetic forces among the nuciel and electrons that they're composed of.

johann1301
Feb20-12, 06:39 AM
P: 147
Electromagnetic and strong force

What does residual mean?

Register to reply