Register to reply

What is the biggest most fundamental question in all of physics?

by jadrian
Tags: biggest, fundamental, physics
Share this thread:
jadrian
Feb19-12, 07:05 AM
P: 143
thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Drakkith
Feb19-12, 07:07 AM
Mentor
P: 12,005
"How does this work?"
jadrian
Feb19-12, 07:40 AM
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
"How does this work?"
ok whats the most fundamental and controversial argument in physics

256bits
Feb19-12, 09:36 AM
P: 1,494
What is the biggest most fundamental question in all of physics?

Quote Quote by jadrian View Post
Your question is rather abstract, so answers such as "Why?", or "How does this work?" would naturally be the answer.
Then again "the most fundamental and controversial question" might be "Where is my &^$) pen again", in any science or profession.
Drakkith
Feb19-12, 04:58 PM
Mentor
Physics is a huge area with many different things being researched and discovered all the time. I'm not sure there is an argument like the one you are asking about.
Randomguy
Feb19-12, 05:10 PM
P: 24
String theory is both fundamental and controversial, so it fits your criteria pretty neatly.
fellupahill
Feb19-12, 07:52 PM
P: 62
I think he is asking which question like. What is time? What is space? And I think a good answer to the question he is actually asking would probably contain more than one question :) As to what they are? I think someone else would be more qualified to answer ;p
fellupahill
Feb19-12, 08:08 PM
Or another good answer and someone correct me if im making an incorrect inference, would be; The conflictions with Relativity and Quantum Mechanics....
Oldfart
Feb19-12, 08:34 PM
P: 191
What occurred at T=0?
Drakkith
Feb19-12, 09:27 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Oldfart View Post
What occurred at T=0?
"Is there a T=0?"
Millacol88
Feb19-12, 09:38 PM
P: 84
"What occurred before T = 0?" is an interesting one. I think questions like this are more suited to philosophy than physics ;)
fellupahill
Feb19-12, 09:42 PM
Quote Quote by Millacol88 View Post
"What occurred before T = 0?" is an interesting one. I think questions like this are more suited to philosophy than physics ;)
Ive read that before, somewere. ha
jadrian
Feb19-12, 10:00 PM
Quote Quote by Millacol88 View Post
meh i dont think our universe needed any magic.
DaveC426913
Feb19-12, 10:07 PM
P: 15,319
meh i dont think our universe needed any magic.
Strange thing to say. Where did magic come into it?

It is a very intriguing question what caused the universe to come into being. But there's no way we can expect any evidence that will illuminate it, which is the reason is will likely be a philosophical question for a long, long time.
Millacol88
Feb19-12, 10:21 PM
P: 84
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Strange thing to say. Where did magic come into it?

It is a very intriguing question what caused the universe to come into being. But there's no way we can expect any evidence that will illuminate it, which is the reason is will likely be a philosophical question for a long, long time.
That's basically what I think. I don't think there needs to be any assumption of "magic" when the question is asked how the universe came to be, just that its well beyond our current understanding.
Oldfart
Feb19-12, 10:35 PM
That seems to me to be a rather pessimistic appraisal, what is your reasoning?
DaveC426913
Feb19-12, 10:40 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by Oldfart View Post
That seems to me to be a rather pessimistic appraisal, what is your reasoning?
I writ my reasoning: because there's no expectation of any evidence to be forthcoming of any events preceding the BB.

No information from T < 0 will survive the BB. No information = no evidence. We can philosophize, but we can't make any models with any predictive properties. And if it can't be falsified, it's not a theory.
Oldfart
Feb19-12, 11:22 PM
I writ my reasoning: because there's no expectation of any evidence to be forthcoming of any events preceding the BB.

No information from T < 0 will survive the BB. No information = no evidence. We can philosophize, but we can't make any models with any predictive properties. And if it can't be falsified, it's not a theory.
Agree, but I was talking about T=0, not <0.

Register to reply