The fundamental units in Physics

In summary, current is a fundamental quantity with its unit being the ampere. However, its definition and realization have changed over time and will continue to do so in the future. The distinction between fundamental and derived quantities is a matter of convention and different systems of units may have different choices.
Vengo
I have been in my physics crash course for my entrance exam. I was looking at the chapter "Units and Measurement". I got a doubt in this chapter and I didn't get it cleared by my teacher. So I am posting this in this forum. We have 7 fundamental quantities and other quantities are derived quantities.In those fundamental quantities,We have (CURRENT)and its unit is A. but according to the definition. CURRENT is defined a rate of charge flowing across a cross sectional area of a conductor. and the formula is I=q/t. This looks like a derived quantity because t is a fundamental quantity. It is used in the formula. MY QUESTION IS WHETHER CURRENT IS A FUNDAMENTAL OR DERIVED QUANTITY??

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you don't need to shout (Capital letters) or bold or italicise your text. We get your question without all that.

Current is a fundamental quantity and ampere is the one the seven SI base units.

To elaborate on your answer, yes current is ##\frac{dq}{dt}## but in SI units current's unit the ampere is defined as

"The ampere is that constant current which, if maintained in two straight parallel conductors of infinite length, of negligible circular cross-section, and placed one metre apart in vacuum, would produce between these conductors a force equal to 2×10−7 Newtons per metre of length"

The fact that ampere is a base unit has to do with historical reasons and the fact that current is easier to measure accurately than charge.

Last edited:
Likes Vengo
Thank you for clearing my doubt, Master

The definition of the ampere will actually change next year. After 2018 it will be defined via the electron charge which will then be a defined (exact) value giving a more "natural" definition. This also gives a direct connection to the second which is nice.

Note also that the realization of the Ampere described above is never used in practice. In fact, the Ampere is really never really realized directly; it it is always done using Ohm's law using the realizations of the voltage and ohm which we can measure with high precision and accuracy.

Note also that there are some good reasons for why the Ampere (and not the voltage or Ohm) is a base unit; the reasons are nor straightforward but it basically comes down to wanting the SI to be internally self-consistent.

Likes Vengo and Mastermind01
Note that the distinction between fundamental units and derived units is purely a matter of convention. The SI convention this year is that current is fundamental and charge is derived. Other systems of units take the opposite approach.

It does not matter what convention you use, only that you use it consistently.

Likes David Lewis
Thank you f95toli and Dale
But Dale, I cannot get you precisely

There are different systems of units: SI units, English units, cgs units, Lorenz Heaviside units, Planck units, etc. Different systems of units will make different choices about which are fundamental and which are derived. For example in SI units current is fundamental and charge is derived, but in cgs units both current and charge are derived

OH! thank you, Dale

1. What are the fundamental units in Physics?

The fundamental units in Physics are the units used to measure basic physical quantities such as length, mass, time, temperature, and electric current. These units form the basis for all other units in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How many fundamental units are there in Physics?

There are seven fundamental units in Physics, as defined by the SI system: meter (m) for length, kilogram (kg) for mass, second (s) for time, kelvin (K) for temperature, ampere (A) for electric current, mole (mol) for amount of substance, and candela (cd) for luminous intensity.

3. Why are these units considered "fundamental"?

These units are considered fundamental because they cannot be broken down into smaller units or derived from other units. They are the basic building blocks for all other units and are used to measure the most fundamental physical quantities in the universe.

4. How are the fundamental units in Physics determined?

The fundamental units in Physics are determined by measurements and are based on natural phenomena. For example, the unit of time, the second, is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between two energy levels of the cesium-133 atom.

5. Can the fundamental units in Physics change?

The fundamental units in Physics are defined by international agreements and are considered constants. They are not subject to change unless a new and more precise method for measurement is discovered and internationally accepted.