What Is the Focal Length and Magnification in Multi-Lens Systems?

In summary, the first problem involves five lenses with a focal length of 25 placed at a distance of 50 from each other, and the equivalent focal length is also 25. The second problem involves a point source placed at the focal point of a lens with a focal length of 50, and then another lens with a focal length of 400 is placed at a distance of 600. The image is then captured at the focal point of the second lens, but the concept of magnification for a point source is not well-defined.
sz0

Homework Statement

1)
I have five lenses with f=25 placed at distance 50 from each other, what is the focal length of this system?
2)
A light source is placed in the focal point of a lens with f=50, at d=600 a lens with f=400 is placed, at the focal point of the second lens the image is captured, what is the magnification?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{1}{A}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{B}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{F}[/itex] is everything, I think...

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think the light rays will converge 25 after the last lens because for lens 2 and 4: 1/-f + 1/b = 1/f → b=-∞ so the light is parallel with x-axis after these lenses. For lens 1,3,5: 1/∞ + 1/b = 1/f → b=f so the projection is in the middle and for the last lens 25 away.

2)
I'm thinking the light is parallel to x-axis after the first lens because 1/f +1/b =1/f →
b=∞ and then for the second lens 1/∞ + 1/b = 1/f → image in f, so no magnification has occured.

------
It's not certain both of my solutions are wrong, but probably both are :(.
If someone has a link to info about how to calculate lens after lens that would be great, I can't goggle it since I don't know what this sort of problem is called and my book is terrible.no help.

I am very happy for any help I can get, so thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Seems okay. If you wanted to do this generally you could use ray matrices.

2) Yeah, if I read it right, I agree here too.

First; thank you for looking at my problems. But I did these 2 problems + 2 other and was told 3 out of 4 were wrong so both solutions can't be correct.

Well, I didn't fully understand your response to question 1, but the equivalent focal length is definitely 25, which is what you got.

I think you are right about Q2 too. A point source in the focal point of an ideal lens will give collimated light. So at this point you could put another lens at the end of a football field, and you'd get the same thing. The weird thing about this question is that it an image is captured at the focal point of the second lens. The other weird thing is that in technical terms a point source is a delta function, a point that is infinitely narrow, so it doesn't really even make sense to talk about it's magnification.

Maybe you can get some elaboration from your teacher on problem two, and I could help once I know what he/she wants.

Hello,

I can provide you with some guidance on how to approach these problems and some resources that may be helpful.

First, for the first problem, you can use the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/a + 1/b, where f is the focal length, a is the object distance, and b is the image distance. Since you have five lenses with the same focal length, you can use the equation to calculate the total focal length of the system. The object distance for each lens is 50, so you can plug in the values and solve for b. The final image distance will be the focal length of the system.

For the second problem, you can use the magnification equation: M = -b/a, where M is the magnification, b is the image distance, and a is the object distance. Since the light source is placed at the focal point of the first lens, the object distance will be 0. You can then use the image distance of the first lens as the object distance for the second lens and solve for the magnification. This will give you the final magnification of the system.

As for resources, there are many online tutorials and videos that can help you understand how to calculate lens after lens. Some helpful keywords to search for could be "thin lens equation", "magnification equation", and "multiple lens systems". Additionally, there are many textbooks and online resources that cover optics and lens calculations in detail, such as "Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis A. Jenkins and Harvey E. White.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to clarify anything. Good luck!

1. How do multiple lenses affect the image quality?

The use of multiple lenses in an optical system can improve image quality by correcting for aberrations and increasing magnification. However, if the lenses are not properly aligned or if there are too many lenses in the system, it can result in decreased image quality due to increased distortion and loss of light.

2. What is the difference between convex and concave lenses?

Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to converge and form a real image. Concave lenses are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to diverge and form a virtual image. This difference in shape results in different optical properties and uses for each type of lens.

3. Can multiple lenses be used to correct vision problems?

Yes, multiple lenses can be used in eyeglasses or contact lenses to correct vision problems, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness. These lenses work together to adjust the focal length of the eye and bring objects into focus on the retina. This allows for clearer vision and sharper images.

4. What is the purpose of a lens in a telescope?

A lens in a telescope is used to gather and focus light from distant objects, such as stars and planets. The curved shape of the lens bends the light rays and forms an image at the focal point, which can then be magnified by additional lenses in the telescope. This allows us to see distant objects with greater detail and clarity.

5. How does the position of lenses affect the focal length?

The position of lenses in an optical system can affect the focal length, which is the distance between the lens and the focal point. Placing lenses closer together results in a shorter focal length, while increasing the distance between lenses can increase the focal length. This relationship can be used to manipulate the magnification and clarity of images in optical devices.