Torsion on materials of variable cross section

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of torsion on solid plates and the torsion constant. The question is raised about how to handle the torsion constant on a plate with a changing cross section, such as when there are holes drilled in it, without using FEA. The idea of integrating along the length is mentioned but it does not account for the shape. The speaker asks for assistance and mentions a related post that may be helpful.
LessthanSane
New here, sorry if I'm in the wrong place or unclear, etc.

I've been looking at torsion on solid plates and the torsion constant. I was wondering how to handle the torsion constant on a plate of changing cross section (e.g. there are holes drilled in it, changing the area of the cross section and shape, leaving it without a uniform solidity) without doing an FEA (I might have access to something like solidworks simulation stuff in the future, but not at the moment).

Originally, I thought maybe too integrate along the length for the changing area, but that doesn't account for the shape.

Can anyone help me? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I do not know if this would help you a little, but just in case. Post 3781736 (post 3) was made on the day after your post.

1. What is torsion on materials of variable cross section?

Torsion on materials of variable cross section refers to the twisting forces applied to a material with a changing cross-sectional area. This results in a shearing stress that can cause the material to deform or fail.

2. What factors influence torsion on materials of variable cross section?

The main factors that influence torsion on materials of variable cross section are the material's shear modulus, the angle of twist, and the cross-sectional area at different points along the material.

3. How can torsion on materials of variable cross section be calculated?

Torsion on materials of variable cross section can be calculated using the torsion formula, which takes into account the shear modulus, angle of twist, and cross-sectional area at different points. This formula can be applied to different types of materials, such as beams and shafts, to determine their torsional strength.

4. What are the practical applications of studying torsion on materials of variable cross section?

Understanding torsion on materials of variable cross section is important in many engineering and scientific fields, such as structural design, mechanical engineering, and material science. It allows for the analysis and design of structures and machines that can withstand torsional forces.

5. What are some examples of materials that experience torsion on a variable cross section?

Some examples of materials that experience torsion on a variable cross section include beams, shafts, and rods made of metals, plastics, and composites. Other examples include springs, wires, and cables used in various applications.