Torsion on materials of variable cross section

by LessthanSane
Tags: torsion
LessthanSane
Feb23-12, 10:28 PM
P: 1
New here, sorry if I'm in the wrong place or unclear, etc.

I've been looking at torsion on solid plates and the torsion constant. I was wondering how to handle the torsion constant on a plate of changing cross section (e.g. there are holes drilled in it, changing the area of the cross section and shape, leaving it without a uniform solidity) without doing an FEA (I might have access to something like solidworks simulation stuff in the future, but not at the moment).

Originally, I thought maybe too integrate along the length for the changing area, but that doesn't account for the shape.

Can anyone help me? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
nvn
Feb26-12, 04:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,110
I do not know if this would help you a little, but just in case. Post 3781736 (post 3) was made on the day after your post.

Register to reply