Turbo-1's HOT STUFF

by Astronuc
Tags: evo, food, recipes, turbo, turbo1
turbo
Feb7-12, 08:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
If I could stand being around people with fragrances (even in their clothing - detergents and fabric-softeners) I'd love to be able to apprentice some growers and show them how to preserve, prepare, and store food properly. I learned all this from my mother and my grandmother, and the knowledge is fading.
dlgoff
Feb7-12, 08:56 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,633
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
If I could stand being around people with fragrances (even in their clothing - detergents and fabric-softeners) I'd love to be able to apprentice some growers and show them how to preserve, prepare, and store food properly. I learned all this from my mother and my grandmother, and the knowledge is fading.
Book time turbo? Or maybe a video?
turbo
Feb7-12, 09:09 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Book time turbo? Or maybe a video?
I don't know if either would gain traction. I learned gardening, harvesting, preservation, etc, very gradually as I grew up. I love growing hot peppers, and my wife and I have found ways to keep them. I tend to process the best of the chilies by canning. My wife tends to freeze stuff like that. I'll do a late-fall harvest of chilies, and she'll slice them and quick-freeze them on cookie-sheets in the chest freezers and slide them into big Zip-Lock bags for later use.

We have developed some techniques that work well, over the years. I do most of the boiling-water canning, since I spend my time here at home. I'd like to take on an apprentice or two and get some useful work out of them in the planting, tending, harvesting, preserving stages, though. A lot of very valuable knowledge is fading in the age of boxed meals and canned meals.
rhody
Feb7-12, 09:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
I don't know if either would gain traction. I learned gardening, harvesting, preservation, etc, very gradually as I grew up. I love growing hot peppers, and my wife and I have found ways to keep them. I tend to process the best of the chilies by canning. My wife tends to freeze stuff like that. I'll do a late-fall harvest of chilies, and she'll slice them and quick-freeze them on cookie-sheets in the chest freezers and slide them into big Zip-Lock bags for later use.

We have developed some techniques that work well, over the years. I do most of the boiling-water canning, since I spend my time here at home. I'd like to take on an apprentice or two and get some useful work out of them in the planting, tending, harvesting, preserving stages, though. A lot of very valuable knowledge is fading in the age of boxed meals and canned meals.
Hah, here's an idea, find a family of preppers and in exchange for their labor teach them your skills and to sweeten the deal, give them some of the canned goods. Sounds like a win win to me.

Rhody...
rhody
Feb9-12, 12:16 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
White ghost seeds are in. I have a limited number to share, first come first served basis, all that I ask is to send a SASE in a PM to me, I will send the first comers a few. Ready, set go, run forest run !!!
Please don't be disappointed if you miss the opportunity, I will have plenty to share this fall if they grow and produce, starting a three day soak before planting now.

Rhody...

P.S. FYI Evo PM'd me already so she is getting seeds for sure.
Only one person, Evo has taken me up on the offer so far...

Rhody...
turbo
Feb9-12, 02:47 PM
PF Gold
Again, thanks for your generosity rhody. I have no sunny windows to start plants, and I hate to impose on my neighbor with a decent greenhouse. I still have so many varieties of chilies to start and plant that I'd have to expand the garden to plant more. I'm pretty much set on raising Red Savinas, Hungarian wax, poblanos, cayennes, jalapenos, because I have so many uses for them. This year, I have to shoehorn in the plants grown from the ghost seeds and fruits that you sent me. I guess if I till up more of that side lawn there would be less to mow...
rhody
Feb9-12, 05:07 PM
PF Gold
Check this out folks, the new heat champ, moruga scorpion.
The Moruga Scorpion is the first chilli pepper we have seen that has cleared the 2 million Scoville Units seen in the lasted set of results from the Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences at New Mexico State University, where it reported a high of 2,009,231 SHU, a mean heat of 1,207,764 SHU and a low of 580,192 SHU.

Sorry, I had to screen grab these things (see above), they look positively evil. Jim Duffy from Refining Fire Chiles in San Diego who I bought my trinidad scorpion seeds from created these and had them tested. Here is one of Jim's seed sale pages. He doesn't have any moruga scorpion seeds for sale, yet. Needless to say, heat stressing them probably makes all the difference in the scoville range, which is very wide indeed. Jim uses an NFT hydro system to grow his chilies, here is a short video of one here. If you want to see how one industrious grower from the UK jump started his passion, Wiltshire Chilli Farm, have a look here.

Rhody...
Evo
Feb9-12, 06:04 PM
Mentor
P: 25,940
Again, thanks for your generosity rhody. I have no sunny windows to start plants, and I hate to impose on my neighbor with a decent greenhouse. I still have so many varieties of chilies to start and plant that I'd have to expand the garden to plant more. I'm pretty much set on raising Red Savinas, Hungarian wax, poblanos, cayennes, jalapenos, because I have so many uses for them. This year, I have to shoehorn in the plants grown from the ghost seeds and fruits that you sent me. I guess if I till up more of that side lawn there would be less to mow...
Put one in a pot on your deck. Heck, I'm growing everything on a small covered patio.
rhody
Feb9-12, 06:14 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Put one in a pot on your deck. Heck, I'm growing everything on a small covered patio.
Yeah, heck and while you are at it, spring for a heat mat, $29 and a decent grow light $70, $100 bucks and you are set, the white ghost seeds will be in the mail tomorrow. Hehe... I like that Evo pushes Turbo, news at eleven... Time to push back Turbo, what say you ?

Rhody...
rhody
Feb20-12, 04:12 PM
PF Gold
An update on pepper growth, I am amazed at what a small heat mat, blue spectrum grow light, some aluminum foil underneath and a light fan has on the plants.
You will note the robust stem sprouts bhut jolokia chocolate, and how lust and dark green they are, temps during the day never more than mid 70's in the room, I keep them close together too, they seem to like the canopy overlapping them. I move them every couple of days, water when dry and stressed and feed with weak miracle grow about every two weeks. I am starting to pinch off flower buds because it is too soon for them.

This is a grow and sauce making experimental year for me, next year I hope to start more plants, low hundreds, and create sauces, etc... to start selling locally and through the internet.

I have a friend with a decade's experience in making sauces. He has dabbled with peppers, habs mostly, people he has given them to love his products. I need some fresh and or dried peppers (about 6 of each), in the medium hot, hot and very hot categorizes to perform sauce alchemy experiments. I am willing to barter my PC skills (software engineer, 30 years) for them. If no one needs software work I am willing to send a SASE box to you, with payment (negotiated privately) for the experimental peppers I need. If we come up with something our test subjects rave about we will try organizing local tastings at local eateries where people who appreciate hot stuff frequent.

I posted the above content on thehotpepper forum. I need some peppers to play with making sauces. You can see the steady growth in the past few weeks.

Here is an interesting summary of crossing chili plants, a good read IMHO.

Rhody...
rhody
Feb25-12, 09:29 AM
PF Gold
Evo, Turbo,

One of my white ghosts has sprouted no douglahs though, I started two of each, have you started white ghost seeds yet ?

Rhody...
dlgoff
Feb25-12, 10:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Rhody,

My first try on 10 ripe ghost seeds didn't germinate so I started some of the un-ripe ones (which actually looked better). Yes, I had a heat pad and light.
rhody
Feb25-12, 01:32 PM
PF Gold
Rhody,

My first try on 10 ripe ghost seeds didn't germinate so I started some of the un-ripe ones (which actually looked better). Yes, I had a heat pad and light.
Don,

I will bite (pun intended) how can you tell a ripe ghost seed from an unripe one ? Once under a pad, light, the container should be covered with vent holes and slightly moist on top. 85F is ideal. My seeds are coming up funky too, maybe because I have a fan blowing on the container during the day cooling it down.

Rhody...
dlgoff
Feb26-12, 01:01 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Don,

I will bite (pun intended) how can you tell a ripe ghost seed from an unripe one ?
They look totally different. The ripe ones are small and flat compared to the unripe ones that are larger and are almost spherical in shape.
rhody
Feb26-12, 09:12 AM
PF Gold
They look totally different. The ripe ones are small and flat compared to the unripe ones that are larger and are almost spherical in shape.
It may be the way I dried and stored them, did the unripe ones have less dried placenta attached to them, maybe the capsaicin in the oil damaged the seed somehow. I will ask on the THP forum and report back, thanks, Don.

Rhody...
rhody
Feb26-12, 11:53 AM
PF Gold
Yeah, when you don't get them spic and span clean they can be attacked by fungus, etc...
Here is the recommended cleaning method. From a grower on THP.
seeds soak in 1 tsp of hydrogen peroxide and one cup of distilled water for 2 hours, remove the seeds using a strainer, then gently rub both sides of the seed with a q-tip (if you see anything on the seeds)
Rhody...
rhody
Feb27-12, 01:07 PM
PF Gold
Houston, I need your help. I am trying, unsuccessfully I might add, to find the following data, all in one place, I am able to find dribs and drabs of it, but no data in my timeframe. I would like the following data:
  • Last five years of hot pepper imports/exports to/from the US in millions of dollars
  • Same data for the top 10 exporting countries of hot peppers
  • Same data for the top 10 importing countries of hot peppers
  • If possible the state of the exports, mash, raw by the ton, processed products tp sell
  • If possible the state of the imports, mash, raw by the ton, processed products to buy
  • US imposed restrictions on imports from friendly US trade partners
  • US imposed restrictions on exports to friendly US trade partners
Rhody... would be pepper emperor, lol
Moonbear
Feb27-12, 07:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
No holy grail here, but data up to 2007/2008 on chili peppers starting at table 45 in this list seems to be the most current that USDA has available.
http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/Mann...ocumentID=1659

Register to reply