Centrifugal separation into hot & cold air streams?

In summary, according to this article, a vortex tube can be used to generate a cooling effect. The vortex tube works by generating a centrifugal force that separates hot and cold air. It is plausible, but I don't think it would work if only half of one turn was used. The vortex tube would be more difficult to produce than a tube.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I have been reading about the Ranke-Hilsch vortex tube. Details of the explanation tend to differ somewhat among different sources, but it got me thinking about the following thought experiment.

Air enters a tube of about 0.5 x 4 cm cross section. It passes through a section that is channelized into narrower passages in order to achieve a degree of laminarity. Then it immediately enters a bend with an inner radius of 1 to 1.5 cm. This section is partitioned as shown, such that you have one air stream following a smaller radius and one following a larger radius. The partition wall however has a slit running along it, such that the centrifugal pressure difference can allow some of the inner radius air to expand into the outer channel, thus compressing it.

To some degree of approximation, the air in the inner channel is thus doing work to compress the outer air. The process is approximately adiabatic and isenthalpic if we consider the ( inner + outer ) air as our system. To the extent that these statements are true, we should get cold and hot air from the two outlets.

I did a very rough calculation that shows that the extra centrifugal pressure on the outer air can be of the order of 0.2 atm when the velocity is 150 m/s, so that the temperature can rise by around 50 deg. C, with a similar drop on the cold side..

Questions:

Just as a thought experiment, is it plausible? What can cause it to fail (i.e. to produce not even say 5 deg of a cooling effect)?
1675477470338.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I expect it would work, but I don't think half of one turn would generate sufficient heat separation. The rectangular section would be more difficult to manufacture than a tube.
Get a vortex tube to experiment with. Vortex tubes for cooling cutting tools are now cheap. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/383502848138
A waistcoat, with a vortex tube air cooler, costs less than $100 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/134353374282

Likes Lnewqban and Swamp Thing

What is centrifugal separation?

Centrifugal separation is a process where a mixture of substances is separated into two or more components based on their density using a centrifugal force.

How does centrifugal separation work?

In centrifugal separation, the mixture is fed into a rotating container, such as a centrifuge, where the centrifugal force causes the denser components to move towards the outer edge while the less dense components move towards the center. This creates distinct layers that can be separated.

What is the purpose of separating hot and cold air streams?

The purpose of separating hot and cold air streams is to control the temperature of a specific area or to extract heat from a process. This can be useful in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in refrigeration, air conditioning, and chemical processing.

What are the advantages of using centrifugal separation for separating hot and cold air streams?

Centrifugal separation offers several advantages for separating hot and cold air streams, including high efficiency, low energy consumption, and the ability to handle large volumes of air. It also allows for precise control of the temperature and can be easily automated for continuous operation.

What are some common applications of centrifugal separation for separating hot and cold air streams?

Centrifugal separation for separating hot and cold air streams is commonly used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, as well as in chemical and pharmaceutical industries for processes such as drying, distillation, and crystallization. It is also used in power plants to extract heat from exhaust gases for energy conservation.