Share your best healthy recipes here

• Thread starter PhotonSSBM
  • Start date
In summary, the person is looking for more ways to incorporate vegetables into their diet, and some of their best recipes include broccoli, carrots, onion, asparagus, peppers, peas, tomatoes, and spinach cooked in a stir fry or straight up in baking. Recipes that include things they probably have in their kitchen, like salads or stir fries, are a hit with them. They also enjoy couscous with small potatoes and veggies, lentil soup with rice and avocado, and sliced fresh mushrooms fried in virgin olive oil and seasoned with salt and black pepper. They recommend eggs, sauerkraut, fish, and smoothies as good ways to get veggies in.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
I'm looking for more ways to incorporate vegetables into my household's diet. What are some of your best recipes to do that? As for what our preferences are already, we both love broccoli, carrots, onion, asparagus, peppers, peas, tomatoes, and spinach. I typically cook them up in a stir fry with sesame sauce or some other kind of Asian style dish. We also cook them into stuff like creamy pasta dishes or just straight up baking them. We're kind of bored with just those things though and want more variety. Recipes that include things I probably already have in the house will get a like.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do so much with just salads / stir frys that you just have to be open to it. Couscous + small potatoes + veggies + hummus + lemons is a good one (Kale!).
I make a basic salad and have it throughout the day (lettuce + lots of peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers).

Loaded veggie quesadillas is a good one (zuchini, squash, peppers, mushrooms, etc.)

Lentil soup with rice and avocado!

Roasting vegetables in the oven with a splash of olive oil and some good herbs is great as well.

I just started getting back into the NutriBlast. It works better as a summer blast; you have to discipline yourself to make it a winterblast. But that's what I'm trying to do. Because it's healthy.

So last night my "blast" was red chard, green kale, parsely, walnuts, turmeric, and frozen blueberries. I put that in the Nutriblast with a google rpm angular momentum and it produced a delicious cocktail.

Likes Sophia
I'm not sure how healthy this is, but I love eating a nice crusty white roll with a thick layer of hummus, a drizzle of toasted sesame oil and two halved cherry tomatoes. Sometimes I add some iceberg lettuce and red peppers for crunch. Sesame oil is a perfect marriage with hummus and the cherry tomatoes add the juicy sweetness.

Another favourite is sliced, fresh mushrooms fried in virgin olive oil and seasoned with salt and black pepper. I love eating persimmons too.

Likes RJLiberator
DiracPool said:
I just started getting back into the NutriBlast. It works better as a summer blast; you have to discipline yourself to make it a winterblast. But that's what I'm trying to do. Because it's healthy.

So last night my "blast" was red chard, green kale, parsely, walnuts, turmeric, and frozen blueberries. I put that in the Nutriblast with a google rpm angular momentum and it produced a delicious cocktail.
Don't forget that while an occasional replacement of a traditional dinner with a blended concoction is ok, that digestion starts in the mouth.

n the human digestive system, food enters the mouth and mechanical digestion of the food starts by the action of mastication (chewing), a form of mechanical digestion, and the wetting contact of saliva. Saliva, a liquid secreted by the salivary glands, contains salivary amylase, an enzyme which starts the digestion of starch in the food; the saliva also contains mucus, which lubricates the food, and hydrogen carbonate, which provides the ideal conditions of pH (alkaline) for amylase to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digestion

Don't fall for the commercials telling you how healthy blitzing your food into oblivion is healthy, it's far from it. Of course if you cannot chew, it's better than not eating, but don't be fooled by these ridiculous commercials selling you overpriced blenders.

Likes Sophia and gmax137
Eggs are healthy, too. Just make an omelette or scrambled eggs with a huge salad.
Try to eat vegetables instead of potatoes or rice with your meat.
Eat plenty of plain white yoghurt, kefír and acidophilus diary products. Preferably goat or sheep if you can afford that, but cow are fine, too. They are very healthy and will boost your immunity. Just buy honest, full fat products with no added sugar and flavorings. Don't ever buy low fat versions with artificial sweeteners and chemical taste. There is no need to go low fat, if you eat natural products in reasonable amounts.
Have sauerkraut as your salad from time to time. It's got vitamin C and good bacteria for your digestion. Just make sure it has NOT been sterilised, pasteurised, UHT or similar. That would destroy the vitamins and good bacteria.
Eat plenty of fish with veggies or potatoes, add some spices and olive oil and you've got a decent meal.
I also like smoothies. Just mix whatever fruit and veggies you find at home and add a tablespoon of coconut or avocado oil so that your body can absorb vitamins from the veggies and that's all you need for a quick and nutritious dinner. It may be true that it lacks digestion by saliva as evo says, but hey, it's still better than a hamburger :-)
To sum up my philosophy (it may not be right, of course) just simple food made from real ingredients that you prepare at home. It doesn't have to be anything fancy or complicated. Just get rid of instant products that have ingredients like a science project and you'll be fine.

Evo said:
Don't fall for the commercials telling you how healthy blitzing your food into oblivion is healthy

It's not so much the "blitzing" of the food per se that makes it a useful machine to me. It's the fact that I can stuff high nutrition foodstuffs into this glorified blender that I would not ordinarily eat otherwise. If you look at my post #4, red chard, green kale, and parsley are not on my typical weekly diet. If I cook red or yellow chard, it's maybe once or twice a year. Kale maybe every other year. Parsley, never. With the blast, I'm eating these 2-3 times a week. Walnuts I typically only eat sprinkled on top of an artery clogging hot fudge sundae and how often does anyone use turmeric? But all of these ingredients are supposed to have big health benefits. Blueberries perhaps most of all. So that's kind of the idea. What's the bitter superfood of the day that you would ordinarily never eat or prepare in the "standard" fashion. Go out to the market and buy it, put it in the blaster, mask it with some fruit, and drink it down as a delicious smoothie.

Likes Sophia
Evo said:
Don't forget that while an occasional replacement of a traditional dinner with a blended concoction is ok, that digestion starts in the mouth.
My first thought about smoothies: But...I really like chewing my food!

But yes, occasionally I'm sure smoothies are harmless for most people. Especially if it's the only way they eat veggies. Me, no way. As I get older, digesting raw foods is becoming difficult. This really sucks because I absolutely love big salads.

A simple 'clam chowder' or 'oyster stew':
mix your favorite Bruschetta [tomatoes,olive oil, garlic] with some shucked clams or oysters, thin with some chicken stock. Microwave to a temperature you like, add chopped parsley as garnish. If you like it spicy, add a few flakes of crushed red pepper. You can also add sliced carrots, some onion, but I don't bother.

Also don't forget traditional legume soups. Bean, lentil, pea, dried peas, Lima beans... Simply fry an onion, add soaked legumes of your choice, some meat or high quality sausage if you want, a carrot, potato and cook until it's done. Very simple and full of fibre and protein.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Sophia said:
Also don't forget traditional legume soups.
What about Dutch "erwtensoep" (also known as: "snert"), a healthy, filling Winter dish that I recommend in particular to people malnourishing themselves on smoothies or other culinary modernisms. Here is a recipe in English. Don't be sparing with the "rookworst".

Likes Sophia
Krylov said:
What about Dutch "erwtensoep" (also known as: "snert"), a healthy, filling Winter dish that I recommend in particular to people malnourishing themselves on smoothies or other culinary modernisms. Here is a recipe in English. Don't be sparing with the "rookworst".
That sounds great. I love honest old fashioned meals such as this.
I can eat modern cousine or exotic meals and it may be good and I do enjoy them. But somehow only traditional meals of European peasants feel like "real food" to me :-)

Likes Silicon Waffle and S.G. Janssens
A simple and easy-to-cook food I like most: Char-Grilled Oysters topped with cheese.

1. What qualifies as a healthy recipe?

A healthy recipe typically includes whole, unprocessed foods that are low in unhealthy fats, sugar, and sodium. It also includes a balanced combination of macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals).

2. Can I still use my favorite ingredients in a healthy recipe?

Yes, you can still use your favorite ingredients in a healthy recipe. However, you may need to make some substitutions or modifications to make it healthier. For example, you can use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, or use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

3. Do healthy recipes have to be bland and boring?

No, healthy recipes can be just as flavorful and delicious as any other recipe. You can use herbs, spices, and other seasonings to add flavor without adding extra calories. You can also experiment with different cooking methods, such as grilling or roasting, to enhance the flavor of your dishes.

4. How can I make sure my healthy recipe is balanced and nutritious?

To make sure your healthy recipe is balanced and nutritious, aim to include a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. You can also use online nutrition calculators to check the nutritional information of your recipe and make adjustments as needed.

5. Are there any specific dietary restrictions or preferences that I should consider when sharing a healthy recipe?

Yes, when sharing a healthy recipe, it's important to consider any dietary restrictions or preferences that others may have, such as vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, or dairy-free diets. You can also include substitutions or alternative ingredients to accommodate these restrictions and preferences in your recipe.