View Poll Results: Which choice do you agree with, more?
Choice One 4 50.00%
Choice Two 2 25.00%
Choice Three 1 12.50%
Other.... (please explain) 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

Physics vs Education vs Undergraduate vs Graduate?

Share this thread:
grendle7
Feb25-12, 12:54 PM
P: 18
I would like to know which choice is more beneficial, efficient, worth it, et cetera:

Choice One--

Double Major in Both Physics and Education Studies, with a teacher licensure to be able to teach chemistry, physics, and/or mathematics at the secondary level.

Choice Two--

Major just in Physics, to then attain my masters in Secondary Education with a licensure....

Choice Three--

Major just in Physics, to then just attain my teaching licensure...

**Please assume that cost of the education is free, to say, and that the institution which I attend is adequate. I mostly want your responses to be about the pros/cons off of the choices and the sort.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Pilot sites in energy from coffee waste show good results
Startups offer banking for smartphone users
Factor in naked mole rat's cells enhances protein integrity
Lavabug
Feb25-12, 06:54 PM
P: 899
Hi grendel, are you from Spain by any chance? If that's the case, I think option 2 is the path you need to take. I believe the masters has now officially become requirement for teaching at high schools(bachiller) and middle schools (secundaria).
Moonbear
Feb25-12, 09:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
From a US perspective, we could strongly benefit from teachers who major in the subject they teach AND get the education pedagogy as well. In fact, that would also be a benefit if you opt for a graduate degree and teaching at a university. I don't know if it will be too much to handle the double major, but worth it if you can handle it.

grendle7
Feb26-12, 08:54 PM
Physics vs Education vs Undergraduate vs Graduate?

Quote Quote by Lavabug View Post
Hi grendel, are you from Spain by any chance? If that's the case, I think option 2 is the path you need to take. I believe the masters has now officially become requirement for teaching at high schools(bachiller) and middle schools (secundaria).
Nah, I'm residing in the U.S. of A., but I do fluently dominate Spanish because I'm nationally Mexican. Then again, I don't see myself in Europe, nevertheless Spain, post my alma-mater...
genericusrnme
Feb26-12, 09:01 PM
P: 615
I don't think I'd be able to cope with being a highschool teacher :(

Quote Quote by Lavabug View Post
Damn.. I had no idea highschool teachers had to have more than half of a bachelors.
grendle7
Feb26-12, 09:02 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
From a US perspective, we could strongly benefit from teachers who major in the subject they teach AND get the education pedagogy as well. In fact, that would also be a benefit if you opt for a graduate degree and teaching at a university. I don't know if it will be too much to handle the double major, but worth it if you can handle it.
Having both in my bag of tricks would heighten my job security a bit. And, double-majoring wouldn't be a problem with rigorousness, but more with length and credit availability. I'd love to double major, but that means I wont be able to take certain subjects which I've been wanting to take.

This limit is something of which I'm not totally aware of yet, though. I am mostly hoping to gain acceptance to Berea College, where you are only allowed to take a certain number of credits until graduation, because tuition is completely free. So, if I was to double major, I would be happy in taking all of the topics to get me my majors in Physics and Teaching/Curriculum with a teaching licensure, but then I wouldn't be able take as many philosophy classes, which I adore...

But, I could always just read philosophy on my free time...

Register to reply