Physics or Applied Math Graduate Programs?

In summary, the speaker is a fifth year undergraduate student with interests in mathematics, chemistry, and physics. They are currently applying for graduate programs, with their top choice being the Applied and Industrial Mathematics program at the University of Michigan. They are unsure if they should also apply for a Master's in Applied Math or Physics as a backup plan. They are seeking advice on their chances of being accepted into a Physics Master's program with a non-physics background and whether they can take physics courses while pursuing a Master's in Applied Math. It is recommended to seek advice from faculty who are familiar with their academic record and from specific schools they are interested in.
TLeit
A bit of background: I am currently a fifth year Mathematics and Chemistry double major with a minor in Physics. My interests (as well as my degree plan) has greatly evolved over the course of my undergraduate career, and I am in my final year with a great interest in furthering my knowledge of quantum mechanics and other subjects (like statistical mechanics) that will help me better understand the fundamental constituents of the Universe. I have also always been far more adept at theory than at experiment, and I do not 100% know what I want to do after I graduate, but I am currently in the process of applying for graduate schools to see where that will take me. My top choice for the graduate program I am hoping to get into is the Applied and Industrial Mathematics (AIM) program at the University of Michigan, which allows students to use applied mathematics to investigate a co-discipline, such as physics. I figure this would be a great route for me since it would allow me to use my undergraduate major towards a theoretical investigation into a subject in physics, such as quantum mechanics. However, I also want to apply to a Master's program as a back-up plan in case my application is rejected, and most applied mathematics graduate programs are not as closely tied to the other subject as the AIM program. So, my question is whether I would be better off applying for a Master's in Applied Math or a Master's in Physics? With my background, how likely is it that I could get accepted into a Physics Master's program since I did not major in physics? Also, if I went the route of the Applied Math Master's program, could I take physics graduate courses while working towards the Master's in Applied Math or are students usually not allowed to take graduate courses outside of their discipline? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions on what to do. It is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Faculty at your school who are more familiar with your entire record can answer those questions better than strangers on the internet with less knowledge of your record.

Likewise, faculty at the specific schools you have in mind can provide better answers if you provide them with the essentials of your record (GPA, majors, school, research, GRE scores).

On the internet, people like to (and often need to) keep their GPA, research accomplishments, and GRE scores private, which is reasonable. However, good answers to your questions are hard without them.

Likes TLeit

1. What is the difference between a Physics and Applied Math graduate program?

A Physics graduate program focuses on the fundamental principles and laws of nature, while an Applied Math graduate program applies mathematical concepts and techniques to solve practical problems in various fields, such as engineering, finance, and computer science.

2. What are the job prospects for graduates of these programs?

Both Physics and Applied Math graduate programs offer a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as research and development, technology, finance, and engineering. Graduates often pursue careers as scientists, engineers, data analysts, or researchers.

3. What are the admission requirements for these programs?

The specific admission requirements vary among universities, but generally, applicants are expected to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and other related sciences. They may also need to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

4. Can I specialize in a certain area within the Physics or Applied Math field?

Yes, many graduate programs allow students to specialize in a specific area of Physics or Applied Math, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, financial mathematics, or data science. It's important to research the program's curriculum and faculty to find a specialization that aligns with your interests.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Physics or Applied Math if I didn't major in these fields during my undergraduate studies?

Yes, many graduate programs accept students from diverse academic backgrounds. However, you may be required to take prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary foundation for the program. It's best to check with the specific program for their requirements.