Register to reply

Need help in understanding phase angle/difference in A level physics.

by mutineer123
Tags: phase angle, phase difference, wavelength
Share this thread:
mutineer123
Feb26-12, 07:05 PM
P: 93
I understand what a phase angle/difference is, but when it comes to applying them in questions (from past papers) my mind draws a blank. Can anyone here in simple terms, explain how can I draw lets say a phase angle difference 'precisely' of a wave in a graph?

Additional details : I am in AS level right now, so please go easy on any advanced mathematics. And just as a heads up: We have just learnt a sine graph in math aswell as radians( so I know a whole wavelength is 2∏.)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
mutineer123
Feb26-12, 07:08 PM
Quote Quote by mutineer123 View Post
I understand what a phase angle/difference is, but when it comes to applying them in questions (from past papers) my mind draws a blank. Can anyone here in simple terms, explain how can I draw lets say a phase angle difference 'precisely' of a wave in a graph?

Additional details : I am in AS level right now, so please go easy on any advanced mathematics. And just as a heads up: We have just learnt a sine graph in math aswell as radians( so I know a whole wavelength is 2∏.)
I Just came across a question, which I think will help explain my doubt better

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Inte...2_w02_qp_2.pdf

here in question 5 it says " draw the variation with time t of the displacement x of the point in wave T2" So see, while I know phase angle of 60 means T2 lags behind T1 by 60( less than ∏/2 or 90), I have no idea how to draw it.
elliott
Feb26-12, 10:26 PM
P: 3
The phase of a transverse wave is how far it has been translated or shifted. Think back to algebra when we translated graphs of lines by adding and subtracting numbers.

In this case, a phase of 60 degrees results in a shift of ∏/3 radians or 1/6 of a wavelength, being that one wavelength = 2∏ = 360 degrees. If the wavelength of this graph is 3 units then it will be shifted by .5 units to the left (T2 drags behind T1)

mutineer123
Feb28-12, 07:50 PM
Need help in understanding phase angle/difference in A level physics.

Quote Quote by elliott View Post
The phase of a transverse wave is how far it has been translated or shifted. Think back to algebra when we translated graphs of lines by adding and subtracting numbers.

In this case, a phase of 60 degrees results in a shift of ∏/3 radians or 1/6 of a wavelength, being that one wavelength = 2∏ = 360 degrees. If the wavelength of this graph is 3 units then it will be shifted by .5 units to the left (T2 drags behind T1)
Thank you elliott, no one really explained it before with translation..it was very helpful :)

Register to reply