Register to reply

Need help in understanding phase angle/difference in A level physics.

by mutineer123
Tags: phase angle, phase difference, wavelength
Share this thread:
mutineer123
Feb26-12, 07:05 PM
P: 93
I understand what a phase angle/difference is, but when it comes to applying them in questions (from past papers) my mind draws a blank. Can anyone here in simple terms, explain how can I draw lets say a phase angle difference 'precisely' of a wave in a graph?

Additional details : I am in AS level right now, so please go easy on any advanced mathematics. And just as a heads up: We have just learnt a sine graph in math aswell as radians( so I know a whole wavelength is 2∏.)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
mutineer123
Feb26-12, 07:08 PM
Quote Quote by mutineer123 View Post
I understand what a phase angle/difference is, but when it comes to applying them in questions (from past papers) my mind draws a blank. Can anyone here in simple terms, explain how can I draw lets say a phase angle difference 'precisely' of a wave in a graph?

Additional details : I am in AS level right now, so please go easy on any advanced mathematics. And just as a heads up: We have just learnt a sine graph in math aswell as radians( so I know a whole wavelength is 2∏.)
I Just came across a question, which I think will help explain my doubt better

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Inte...2_w02_qp_2.pdf

here in question 5 it says " draw the variation with time t of the displacement x of the point in wave T2" So see, while I know phase angle of 60 means T2 lags behind T1 by 60( less than ∏/2 or 90), I have no idea how to draw it.
elliott
Feb26-12, 10:26 PM
P: 3
The phase of a transverse wave is how far it has been translated or shifted. Think back to algebra when we translated graphs of lines by adding and subtracting numbers.

In this case, a phase of 60 degrees results in a shift of ∏/3 radians or 1/6 of a wavelength, being that one wavelength = 2∏ = 360 degrees. If the wavelength of this graph is 3 units then it will be shifted by .5 units to the left (T2 drags behind T1)

mutineer123
Feb28-12, 07:50 PM
Need help in understanding phase angle/difference in A level physics.

Quote Quote by elliott View Post
The phase of a transverse wave is how far it has been translated or shifted. Think back to algebra when we translated graphs of lines by adding and subtracting numbers.

In this case, a phase of 60 degrees results in a shift of ∏/3 radians or 1/6 of a wavelength, being that one wavelength = 2∏ = 360 degrees. If the wavelength of this graph is 3 units then it will be shifted by .5 units to the left (T2 drags behind T1)
Thank you elliott, no one really explained it before with translation..it was very helpful :)

Register to reply