by StevieTNZ
Tags: entanglement, swapping
Share this thread:
StevieTNZ
Feb23-12, 04:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 797
Hi there,

If we set-up an experiment for entanglement swapping, the two entangled pairs of photons are:
Group 1: A, B
Group 2: X, Y

Take B and Y and perform a Bell-state measurement on them.
Obviously A and X are now entangled. But for this to occur, must B and Y have no definite polarisation?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
DrChinese
Feb23-12, 04:59 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,299
Quote Quote by StevieTNZ View Post
Hi there,

If we set-up an experiment for entanglement swapping, the two entangled pairs of photons are:
Group 1: A, B
Group 2: X, Y

Take B and Y and perform a Bell-state measurement on them.
Obviously A and X are now entangled. But for this to occur, must B and Y have no definite polarisation?
I think the requirement is that the identities of B and Y are indistinguishable in the sense you don't know which is which.
lugita15
Feb23-12, 05:06 PM
P: 1,583
Quote Quote by DrChinese View Post
I think the requirement is that the identities of B and Y are indistinguishable in the sense you don't know which is which.
Hmm, I wonder how entanglement swapping is dealt with in Fock space, where not only individual particle identity but also particle number is lost.

StevieTNZ
Feb23-12, 07:45 PM
PF Gold
Entanglement Swapping

Okay:

Because if we measure particles A and X, the entanglement with B and Y is lost. So when you go to entangle B and Y, because no entanglement exists between A and B, and X and Y, A and X won't become entangled?

When we talk of teleportation, is it when we measure A, Y takes on the same polarisation?
DrChinese
Feb24-12, 09:02 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Okay:

Because if we measure particles A and X, the entanglement with B and Y is lost. So when you go to entangle B and Y, because no entanglement exists between A and B, and X and Y, A and X won't become entangled?

When we talk of teleportation, is it when we measure A, Y takes on the same polarisation?
Just remember that the *ordering* does not matter in a swapping setup. You can measure A and X before you swap the entanglement via B and Y and the results are the same. Strange but true!
StevieTNZ
Feb24-12, 09:38 PM
PF Gold
Even if the entanglement is broken between A and B, because you've measured A?
StevieTNZ
Feb25-12, 07:16 PM
PF Gold
Okay, I've read this paper: http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/publicat...es/2001-06.pdf

And I am lost!!

So what I understand: photons 1 and 4 show entanglement correlations; i.e. both are HH or VV, never seeing HV or VH.

"This is the so-called entanglement swapping , which can also be seen as teleportation either of the state of photon 2 over to photon 4 or of the state of photon 3 over to photon 1."
This is where I am confused, especially if photons 1 and 4 already have polarisations. Teleporting the state of photon 3 to 1, etc. in this case makes my brain fry.
DrChinese
Feb26-12, 11:48 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Okay, I've read this paper: http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/publicat...es/2001-06.pdf

And I am lost!!

So what I understand: photons 1 and 4 show entanglement correlations; i.e. both are HH or VV, never seeing HV or VH.

"This is the so-called entanglement swapping , which can also be seen as teleportation either of the state of photon 2 over to photon 4 or of the state of photon 3 over to photon 1."
This is where I am confused, especially if photons 1 and 4 already have polarisations. Teleporting the state of photon 3 to 1, etc. in this case makes my brain fry.
Keep in mnd that they 1 and 4 photons did not have a well defined polarization when the swapping occurred. Now keep these 2 additional points in your head: forget the ordering, it doesn't matter. And remember that swapping only occurs sometimes, just when a certain results occurs with 2 and 3. I.e. a subset.
zonde
Feb27-12, 11:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,376

And I am lost!!

Correlations for photons detected in detectors 1 and 4 show up only when you condition them on detections in detectors 2 and 3. It's very similar to correlations in delayed choice quantum eraser.
I wouldn't say that teleportation is very good word for entanglement swapping.
StevieTNZ
Feb27-12, 07:57 PM
PF Gold
If we implement the same experimental set-up, and measure photons 1 and 4 before measurement occurs on photons 2 and 3 - I assume when the polarising beam splitter combines particles 2 and 3 this is when the entanglement switch occurs. So if we detect photons 1 and 4 in both H (or V polarisations), prior to reaching the filters and detectors photons 2 and 3 take on V (or H polarisations) - the opposite of what the others take?
zonde
Feb27-12, 11:07 PM
PF Gold
If we implement the same experimental set-up, and measure photons 1 and 4 before measurement occurs on photons 2 and 3 - I assume when the polarising beam splitter combines particles 2 and 3 this is when the entanglement switch occurs. So if we detect photons 1 and 4 in both H (or V polarisations), prior to reaching the filters and detectors photons 2 and 3 take on V (or H polarisations) - the opposite of what the others take?
Ok, we should detect only HH or VV in detectors 1 and 4 for particular type of correlations observed in that experiment. But we detect HV and VH as well and at the same rate as HH and VV.

So how they disappear when we perform Bell state measurement? We throw them out because their pair photons reach the same detector (either both reach detector 2 or detector 3) and so we don't have 4-fold coincidence in 1,2,3 and 4.
StevieTNZ
Feb29-12, 11:54 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by zonde View Post
Ok, we should detect only HH or VV in detectors 1 and 4 for particular type of correlations observed in that experiment. But we detect HV and VH as well and at the same rate as HH and VV.

So how they disappear when we perform Bell state measurement? We throw them out because their pair photons reach the same detector (either both reach detector 2 or detector 3) and so we don't have 4-fold coincidence in 1,2,3 and 4.
I see.

If we analyse photon 3 in the 45 basis, according to QM it gets entangled with the filter so it both passes and fails at the same time. If we then measure photons 1 and 4, so they show VV or HH, will photon 4 take the opposite polarisation of photons 1 and 4, or will it written in the 45 basis so take on V or H, without dependence on what photon 1 takes?
zonde
Mar1-12, 11:23 PM
PF Gold
I see.

If we analyse photon 3 in the 45 basis, according to QM it gets entangled with the filter so it both passes and fails at the same time. If we then measure photons 1 and 4, so they show VV or HH, will photon 4 take the opposite polarisation of photons 1 and 4, or will it written in the 45 basis so take on V or H, without dependence on what photon 1 takes?
I am not sure I understand what measurement settings has polarization analyzer before detector 2. It seems you have mixed up detector numbering somewhere.

Anyways you get entanglement for photons 1 and 4 only (in 4-fold coincidences) when you measure photons 2 and 3 in +/- (+45/-45) basis after PBS.
StevieTNZ
Mar8-12, 09:16 PM
PF Gold
When we detect HV and VH, would that when four-photon entanglement has NOT been created successfully?

For entanglement swapping: is entanglement created between photons 2 and 3 when they hit the beam splitter (in this experiment scheme: http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/publicat.../2001-06.pdf)?

Is entanglement swapping the same thing as creating four-photon entanglement?
zonde
Mar10-12, 12:22 AM
PF Gold
When we detect HV and VH, would that when four-photon entanglement has NOT been created successfully?
When we detect HV in 1 and 4 we have two photons in 3 and no photons in 2.
When we detect VH in 1 and 4 we have two photons in 2 and no photons in 3.

And what do you mean by four-photon entanglement?

For entanglement swapping: is entanglement created between photons 2 and 3 when they hit the beam splitter (in this experiment scheme: http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/publicat.../2001-06.pdf)?
No. Besides in this experiment it is explained as creation of entanglement between photons 1 and 4. But basically you can take any two detectors, perform measurements in +/- basis and claim that 4-fold coincidence reveals entanglement between the other two.

So entanglement swapping happens when you register 4-fold coincidence in coincidence counter i.e. when filtering is performed.
StevieTNZ
Mar13-12, 12:47 AM
PF Gold
When we detect HV in 1 and 4 we have two photons in 3 and no photons in 2.
When we detect VH in 1 and 4 we have two photons in 2 and no photons in 3.
So in this case, there'd be no entanglement between 1 and 4?

And what do you mean by four-photon entanglement?
Four photons entangled.

No. Besides in this experiment it is explained as creation of entanglement between photons 1 and 4.
Entanglement swapping is NOT a creation of entanglement between photons 1 and 4?

If I measured photon 2 in 45 basis and 3 in 135 basis, wouldn't that indicate whether the photons were described by the GHZ state? If one passes, the other fails. From the GHZ state, you can't have photon 2 in 45 and photon 3 in 135.
zonde
Mar13-12, 11:20 AM
PF Gold
So in this case, there'd be no entanglement between 1 and 4?
Right

If I measured photon 2 in 45 basis and 3 in 135 basis, wouldn't that indicate whether the photons were described by the GHZ state? If one passes, the other fails. From the GHZ state, you can't have photon 2 in 45 and photon 3 in 135.
Wrong

If you measure photon 2 in 45 basis and 3 in 135 basis then photons 1 and 4 will have positive correlation for +45 and +135 measurement and negative correlation (minimal rate of four-fold coincidences) for +45 and +45 measurement.
DrChinese
Mar13-12, 11:35 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Is entanglement swapping the same thing as creating four-photon entanglement?
No, they are not the same. You can entangle N particles where N>2. The statistics are different than 2 particle entanglement, because with N particles there is not the "perfect correlations" as in 2 particle states. This does occur sometimes with N=4.

With entanglement swapping, you have 2 entangled pairs (which is N=4) but the 4 are never entangled all at once.

Register to reply