Register to reply

Reaction of metals in acids

by sgstudent
Tags: acids, metals, reaction
Share this thread:
sgstudent
Feb28-12, 04:21 AM
P: 645
Metals will react with acid to form a salt and water. But won't the metal also react with water to form an hydroxide? Similarly, when I put sodium metal into a zinc sulfate solution will displacement occur or will the sodium react with water? Thanks for the help!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Nano-sized chip "sniffs out" explosives far better than trained dogs
A tree may have the answers to renewable energy
Dadface
Feb28-12, 04:47 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,009
What do you think? Remember that different metals have different properties.Compare,for example,sodium with gold.
sgstudent
Feb28-12, 04:50 AM
Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
What do you think? Remember that different metals have different properties.Compare,for example,sodium with gold.
Sodium is more reactive so it will react with water? But why won't it displace but instead react with water? Also I'm unsure why won't the sodium also react with water...

Thanks for the help!

Borek
Feb28-12, 05:33 AM
Admin
P: 23,363
Reaction of metals in acids

Sodium has not time to react with dissolved Zn - it will react with water first, just because of the very high reactivity. Some metals can be reduced with metallic sodium, but it is done not in the solution, but in the molten salts. See for example: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ba-1957-0019.ch014

I seem to remember one of the light elements was first prepared in the pure form bu the sodium reduction, but for the life of me, I can't remember details.
sgstudent
Feb28-12, 08:15 AM
Oh ok. Thanks for the help.:) then also, when I react eg Mg with HCl, Mg+2HCl-->MgCl2+H2. Then when I do the mole calculation I'll use this reactions to determine my values? So I ignore the reaction of metals and water? Reaction:Mg+2H2O-->Mg(OH)2+H2
Borek
Feb28-12, 08:23 AM
Admin
Even if you have a reaction of Mg with water, it doesn't matter. What happens to the Mg(OH)2 in the presence of acid? What is the overall reaction?
sgstudent
Feb28-12, 08:28 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Even if you have a reaction of Mg with water, it doesn't matter. What happens to the Mg(OH)2 in the presence of acid? What is the overall reaction?
I know that it would produce a salt too, but won't the calculations be different?
Borek
Feb28-12, 08:43 AM
Admin
Write overall reaction equation.
sgstudent
Feb28-12, 08:52 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Write overall reaction equation.
Mg+H2O+2HCL>MgCl2+H2+H2O Ohh, the H2O produced would cancel out!
sgstudent
Feb28-12, 09:01 AM
Borek, you are a genius.
Borek
Feb28-12, 09:23 AM
Admin
Quite the opposite, but I will spare you details.

Register to reply