by solarblast
Tags: barycenter
Share this thread:
solarblast
Feb27-12, 10:14 AM
P: 136
I'm looking at <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-body_problem>. I'm
looking not too far down the page in the section:

Center of mass motion (1st one-body problem)

He computes easily R as the barycentric center. Why must
this be so? Can it be shown geometrically, or perhaps by forces that are zero there?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Young binary star system may form planets with weird and wild orbits
Evidence of a local hot bubble carved by a supernova
Astronomers measure weight of galaxies, expansion of universe
tiny-tim
Feb27-12, 10:53 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
hi solarblast!

(btw, if you just type a url, the pf software will auomatically make a link out of it, eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-bod...ody_problem.29 )
Quote Quote by solarblast View Post
He computes easily R as the barycentric center. Why must
this be so? Can it be shown geometrically, or perhaps by forces that are zero there?
you mean R'' = (m1x1'' + m2x2'')/(m1 + m2) ?

that's just the double derivative of the standard vector formula for centre of mass

R = (m1x1 + m2x2)/(m1 + m2)

(btw, i don't think anyone actually calls it "barycentre" )
solarblast
Feb29-12, 11:00 AM
P: 136
Quote Quote by tiny-tim View Post
hi solarblast!

(btw, if you just type a url, the pf software will auomatically make a link out of it, eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-bod...ody_problem.29 )

you mean R'' = (m1x1'' + m2x2'')/(m1 + m2) ?

that's just the double derivative of the standard vector formula for centre of mass

R = (m1x1 + m2x2)/(m1 + m2)

(btw, i don't think anyone actually calls it "barycentre" )
Thanks. I'll buy that with the caveats below about what I'm doing.

I think the writer of the page is likely British. They still cling to centre.

It's been a very long time since I've done anything substantive in physics. I'm grasping what I can in a book on celestial mechanics to get to the part I'm interested in, orbits. I skipped the preceding chapter which is really about center of mass and gravity, so maybe I might review what I need there.

While I'm at it, I'll ask another question on derivatives of vectors from an early chapter that I've skimmed through. He mentions r dot r = r**2, where the left side r's are vectors. (maybe I need some meta cmds to express these items as you have done. Where would I get them?) He differentiates that with respect to time and gets
r dot r-dot = rr-dot. r dot r = rr*cos(theta) = r**2 sort of gets me there, but I must be missing something. The derivative derivation he gives doesn't jump off the page to me.

tiny-tim
Feb29-12, 12:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,157
Why is this the barycenter?

hi solarblast!
Quote Quote by solarblast View Post
He mentions r dot r = r**2, where the left side r's are vectors. (maybe I need some meta cmds to express these items as you have done. Where would I get them?) He differentiates that with respect to time and gets
r dot r-dot = rr-dot. r dot r = rr*cos(theta) = r**2 sort of gets me there, but I must be missing something. The derivative derivation he gives doesn't jump off the page to me.
the LHS is (r.r)' = 2(r.r') = 2|r||r'|cosθ

(for bold, use the B button just above the reply box, or use [B][/B] )

Register to reply