Size Limit of Accelerated Rigid Body in Irrotational Born Rigid Motion

In summary: Had to think about this, but it's Wigner rotation, isn't it? If I accelerate in my +x direction then stop accelerating then accelerate in my +y...
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I was thinking - and reading a bit - about the size limit on accelerated frames, and there is an interesting and relevant result I found.

If we rephrase the question from "is there a size limit on an accelerated frame" to "is there a size limit on an accelerated body in irrottational born rigid motion", it is known that the answer is yes, there is a limit. This was pointed out by Born in 1909, according to wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Born_rigidity&oldid=961398833

wiki said:
Already Born (1909) pointed out that a rigid body in translational motion has a maximal spatial extension depending on its acceleration, given by the relation ...

The limit is that the proper acceleration must be less than c^2/R, where R is the radius of a sphere in which the body is located. I couldn't tell from the wiki article where the proper acceleration was measured, presumably at the center of the sphere - it will vary.

So, as long as we demand that our accelerated frame have the property that objects "at rest in the frame" maintain a constant distance from each other, then there IS a known limit on the size of an accelerated frame.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
That makes sense. I bet it is related to the distance to the Rindler horizon.

pervect said:
The limit is that the proper acceleration must be less than c^2/R, where R is the radius of a sphere in which the body is located.

Actually, Born didn't get this quite correct.

The correct statement is that, for the case of linear acceleration, if we imagine an observer traveling along with a particular point in the body (think of it as an atom if you like), the body can only extend below that observer for less than a distance ##R = c^2 / a##, where ##a## is the observer's proper acceleration. This is just one way of describing that the observer has a Rindler horizon.

However, there is no limit in principle on how far above the observer the body can extend.

Likes vanhees71, Dale and Ibix
PeterDonis said:
However, there is no limit in principle on how far above the observer the body can extend.
I wondered if he was considering acceleration of constant magnitude although not necessarily direction. In that case, Born is correct I think.

Ibix said:
I wondered if he was considering acceleration of constant magnitude although not necessarily direction.

The Born reference in the Wikipedia article is given in the section on irrotational motions (class A in the Herglotz-Noether classification), which are in a single linear direction with no change. (The proper acceleration associated with such motion is not "constant" since different points in the object that are separated along the direction of acceleration will have different proper accelerations. Also, even the proper acceleration of a single point in the object does not have to be constant in magnitude, as long as it doesn't change direction.)

Any rigid motion involving change of direction would be a class B motion, which has different properties.

Likes vanhees71
I don't understand the orientation. The differentiation between above and below. Is there absolute orientation in space time?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I don't understand the orientation. The differentiation between above and below. Is there absolute orientation in space time?
No. But you have an orientation if you are under power. And Born rigid motion means that if you feel an acceleration ##a##, an object ##c^2/a## below you would need infinite acceleration to keep up, using your rulers to define "keeping up".

Likes vanhees71
Ibix said:
No. But you have an orientation if you are under power. And Born rigid motion means that if you feel an acceleration ##a##, an object ##c^2/a## below you would need infinite acceleration to keep up, using your rulers to define "keeping up".
I guess my question is what's the difference between "an object ##c^2/a##" above vs "an object ##c^2/a##" below

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I guess my question is what's the difference between "an object ##c^2/a##" above vs "an object ##c^2/a##" below
Born rigid motion means that rulers you carry with you have constant length in their instantaneous rest frame. That turns out to mean that (for constant linear acceleration) every point on your ruler has to follow a hyperbolic path through spacetime, all of which have a common focus. Designate that focus ##x=0## and it turns out that the proper acceleration experienced by the bit of the ruler at ##x## is ##c^2/x##. So the proper acceleration decreases "upwards" along the ruler, and diverges as ##x## goes to zero. This latter is closely analogous to the event horizon of a black hole and is called the Rindler horizon.

TLDR: proper acceleration decreases upwards in Born rigid motion. So ##c^2/a## above has no particular issue but ##c^2/a## below cannot accelerate enough to keep up.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and BiGyElLoWhAt
PeterDonis said:
Any rigid motion involving change of direction would be a class B motion, which has different properties.
Had to think about this, but it's Wigner rotation, isn't it? If I accelerate in my +x direction then stop accelerating then accelerate in my +y direction then stop accelerating again, my final inertial frame can be related to the original one by the composition of two non-parallel boosts.

Usually you define as "rotation free local reference frame" one that for an observer (described by his time-like worldline) such a frame is given by Fermi-Walker transporting an arbitrary tetrad (with the four-velocity of the observer being the time-like member of this basis of course) along the observer's worldline. If this world line is not always in the same direction the spatial members of the tetrad nevertheless rotate with respect to the initial tetrad, because the composition of rotation free boosts in different boost direction are not rotation free against a fixed reference tetrad. That's what's mathematically behind the Wigner rotation and Thomas precession. For SR, see Sect. 1.8 in

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/pf-faq/srt.pdf

Likes Ibix
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Just in case it's not clear from the answers already given, in this context "up" means "in the direction of the acceleration", and "down" is in the opposite direction. It's not absolute, it's relative to the accelerating body.

Likes etotheipi
Ibix said:
it's Wigner rotation, isn't it?

If you mean Thomas precession, yes, that comes into play whenever there is acceleration in different directions.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the size limit of an accelerated rigid body in irrotational born rigid motion?

The size limit of an accelerated rigid body in irrotational born rigid motion is determined by the magnitude of the acceleration and the rotational velocity of the body. This limit is known as the critical acceleration and it is the maximum acceleration that a rigid body can undergo without experiencing any deformation or failure.

2. How is the size limit of an accelerated rigid body calculated?

The size limit of an accelerated rigid body is calculated using the critical acceleration formula, which takes into account the material properties of the body, such as its density, Young's modulus, and Poisson's ratio. This formula is also dependent on the shape and size of the body.

3. What is irrotational born rigid motion?

Irrotational born rigid motion is a type of rigid body motion in which the body undergoes both translation and rotation, while maintaining its shape and size. This type of motion is characterized by the absence of any internal stresses or strains within the body, making it ideal for studying the size limit of accelerated rigid bodies.

4. How does the size limit of an accelerated rigid body affect its performance?

The size limit of an accelerated rigid body is an important factor in determining its performance. If the acceleration exceeds the critical value, the body may experience deformation or failure, which can significantly impact its performance and functionality. Therefore, it is crucial to consider the size limit when designing and using accelerated rigid bodies.

5. Can the size limit of an accelerated rigid body be increased?

Yes, the size limit of an accelerated rigid body can be increased by using materials with higher strength and stiffness, or by changing the shape and size of the body. However, it is important to note that there will always be a critical acceleration for any rigid body, and exceeding this limit can result in failure.