Register to reply

Saw Three headed snake

by Hyperspace2
Tags: headed, snake
Share this thread:
Hyperspace2
Mar1-12, 07:31 AM
P: 86
Here I took the pic of three headed snake. is this rare or common one? I assume it the genetic mutation. People here regard it as god(hindu).
Attached Thumbnails
snake.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
arildno
Mar1-12, 08:08 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Presuming you're not photoshopping us, you have been lucky to see such an extreme rarity.
Many-headed (or polycephalic) animals are occasionally reported, but I have only seen reports of two-headed snakes before.

Three-headed snakes should be even rarer than those.
Hyperspace2
Mar1-12, 08:12 AM
yes, i was lucky to see it. It's amazing thing I got to see when I travelled. My freinds also
assume it to be photoshoped when I gave them this picture.

Moonbear
Mar1-12, 08:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Saw Three headed snake

I always wonder how they decide where to go or what to do. Does one control the body, or do all three each have partial control? Unless people are helping feed it, it must be coordinating actions with all three heads in some way to survive to adulthood, unless two heads are just along for the ride.
Insanity
Mar1-12, 08:45 AM
P: 60
Where and when was this photo taken?
DaveC426913
Mar1-12, 09:00 AM
P: 15,319
Well, here's an original:

So: busted.
arildno
Mar1-12, 09:02 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
I always wonder how they decide where to go or what to do. Does one control the body, or do all three each have partial control? Unless people are helping feed it, it must be coordinating actions with all three heads in some way to survive to adulthood, unless two heads are just along for the ride.
Yes. It ought to be a tremendous COST to maintain and coordinate extra, functional heads, rather than just one.
That is, possibly an additional reason why most polycephalics tend to die very soon after birth*, rather than they are suffering from additional mutations.

*At least, that was the impression I got from Wiki
arildno
Mar1-12, 09:10 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Well, here's an original:

So: busted.
How busted, Dave?
When did Hyperspace SAY he hadn't given others his picture? And, a local news news outlet would eagerly take it, and it would spread locally, as it already has done on the Net

I can't see that we can pull the fraud card on him yet, he might well be the originator of the photo.

Perhaps he also showed it to us was that we are a physics(and-biology).forum, and hyperspace was just excited and wondered if we could tell him how rare this critter was?

Both two-headed, and three-headed animals have been CONFIRMED being able to live to adulthood, if the Wiki article on polycephaly is to go by.
Insanity
Mar1-12, 09:13 AM
I saw the same photo elsewhere, which is why I had asked when and where it was taken.

Wouldn't be the first multi-headed snake hoax photo.
Hyperspace2
Mar1-12, 09:18 AM
Yes folks I am the person who took this photograph, therefore I am very lucky
Insanity
Mar1-12, 09:23 AM
Quote Quote by Hyperspace2 View Post
Yes folks I am the person who took this photograph, therefore I am very lucky
Great, when and where did you take the photo by chance?
Gokul43201
Mar1-12, 09:23 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Some of us are interested when and where this photo was taken. Also, either you got real close to the snake (everyone in the background seems to be standing some distance away) or you had a nice optical zoom on your camera. What camera did you shoot this picture with? The image quality is pretty good.
lisab
Mar1-12, 09:28 AM
Mentor
P: 2,980
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
I had the same thought. So in this pic, each of the three heads decided to go into "flare mode" or whatever it's called? Seems...possible but not probable, I think.

But who knows, perhaps this species goes into that mode very readily.
Greg Bernhardt
Mar1-12, 09:31 AM
Admin
P: 9,336
There appears to be many sightings of muti headed snakes after a google search. It wouldn't surprise me if the rare event is the inspiration behind the mythical Hydra.
Insanity
Mar1-12, 09:33 AM
Photoshopped, each head has a yellowish spot above the mouthline in the same relative position to the eye and the nostril.
DaveC426913
Mar1-12, 09:40 AM
Quote Quote by Insanity View Post
Photoshopped, each head has a yellowish spot above the mouthline in the same relative position to the eye and the nostril.
No. Since they're identical genes, they'll have identical markings. I thought of that.

Arildno is correct. This is not conclusively fake, nor is Hyper's claim of being the original photographer conclusively ruled out.

It's circumstantially highly suspect, but that's not conclusive.
DaveC426913
Mar1-12, 09:41 AM
Hyper, if you took this, you have the original. Care to upload it?
Hyperspace2
Mar1-12, 09:41 AM
I promise this isn't photoshoped, i have no knowledge about it.

Register to reply