Regarding the Low Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Meme

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccine
In summary, the COVID-19 vaccine is more effective than the flu vaccine currently available. However, the efficacy of the vaccine is not as reliable as some people believe it to be, and people who are most at risk of getting the flu may not respond as well to the vaccine.
Drakkith
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
Reasons for the supposedly low effectiveness of the flu vaccine.
Good morning everyone. I woke up today and opened up Facebook only to see someone posting a meme about how in 70 years we've only developed a flu vaccine that's 40% effective, yet in 10 months we've developed a COVID-19 vaccine that's 95% effective. The implied meaning here is that the COVID-19 vaccine is a fraud and you shouldn't get it. I spent a few minutes posting a response in the comments and decided that I would make another post here at PF. My response:1. Influenza (the flu) is caused by a family of related viruses, not a single virus. These are commonly called strains or subtypes, such as H1N1 or H3N2. A vaccine for H1N1 will not be very effective for H3N2 or other types.
2. The influenza viruses have the ability to exchange genetic information when two different types infect one host, which greatly accelerates their genetic mutation rates and also enables them to create new, novel subtypes that have never existed before.
3. Because of the multiple strains and the ability to quickly create novel subtypes, vaccine producers have to make educated guesses as to which subtype will be most prevalent for the coming flue season and target their vaccine accordingly. If they are wrong, then the vaccine will be much less effective.
4. Flu vaccine effectiveness is problematic to measure, as it is measured by using the rates of influenza-like illnesses, which are caused by many different diseases. This is a major reason why the efficacy (effectiveness in a controlled setting) is much higher than the real world effectiveness. It's not that the vaccine is ineffective, it's that a high proportion of people who think they have the flu actually don't.

Do not let fear and suspicion rule your health decisions. Educate yourselves, everyone.

-Drakkith

Likes Evo, Astronuc and OmCheeto
Biology news on Phys.org
How to make a vaccine for influenza is well-established, but not so with SARS-Cov-2. The pressure now has been to develop a vaccine for SARS-Cov-2.

With respect to influenza, "The seasonal influenza (flu) vaccine is designed to protect against the three or four influenza viruses that research indicates are most likely to spread and cause illness among people during the upcoming flu season. Flu viruses are constantly changing, so the vaccine composition is reviewed each year and updated as needed based on which influenza viruses are making people sick, the extent to which those viruses are spreading, and how well the previous season’s vaccine protects against those viruses."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm

Most flu vaccines in the United States protect against four different flu viruses (“quadrivalent”); an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and two influenza B viruses. There are also some flu vaccines that protect against three different flu viruses (“trivalent”); an influenza A (H1N1) virus, an influenza A (H3N2) virus, and one influenza B virus. Two of the trivalent vaccines are designed specifically for people 65 and older to create a stronger immune response.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

Likes Evo and Drakkith
People in the antivax community make some fairly common mistakes and variations in the information can be misunderstood and exploited. In fact the immune response to diseases varies with the organisms involved and the people involved. In fact if Covid 19 has any advantages it has spurred a great deal of research which has been greatly increasing our overall knowledge about immunity.

Anyway, the differences in the overall effectiveness of vaccines is irrelevant, these variations occur in all vaccines. In the case of flu the usual estimates are for an effectiveness between 40 - 60% depending on how well the strains in the vaccine match the strains circulating. The vaccines cause a good antibody response but the antibodies appear to be short lived, providing good protection for less than 6 months, people considered most at risk of serious disease like the elderly often have a poorer response.

There is little evidence that the vaccines stimulate the parts of the immune system that lead to lasting immunity though there is some recent evidence that the very first strain a person is exposed to in life, does influence the response to other strains. Work has been ongoing to develop vaccines that are effective across a wider number of strains and which could cause a more enduring effect, but this has been slow. Its likely that the Covid pandemic will speed up these developments.

Its interesting how much has been discovered about immunity recently, really our knowledge has been pretty basic. While Covid 19 has some interesting and novel effects on the body, it seems to be a fairly straightforward virus in terms of vaccine development, all of the standard vaccine technologies seem to work. What is interesting is that the newer technologies, particularly the mRNA vaccines seem to offer both greater effectiveness and greater safety. The indications are that they will also be much easier and faster to produce once we get past the first generation approaches. The link is interesting.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...rising-answers-may-help-protect-people-longer

Likes Evo and Drakkith
One of the most interesting things I discovered, is that these new vaccines(mRNA), although almost 30 years in the making [ref], have never been used before. (Aside from rat and mouse experiments.)

It was just a few days ago that I discovered this.

Moderna and other vaccines​
44,209 views • Dec 4, 2020​
Dr. John Campbell​
01:49 - 05:08
3⅓ minutes​
"Genetic instructions for building a Coronavirus spike protein"
"It's clever, remarkably clever. It's innovative, and the Moderna vaccine is only the second time that this will be the efficacious results for such a vaccine have been published. And the first one of course was the Pfizer one."

Although I don't usually watch TV interviews for my information, Youtube suggested I watch the following. There was some interesting(aka new to me) stuff at the end.

The President of Moderna Gives a Crash Course on COVID-19 Vaccines​
38,097 views • Premiered Nov 30, 2020​
Katie Couric​
27:47 - end
2¾ minutes​
Katie; "Can this virus mutate, ... and create a new strain...?"​
Stephen; "This virus has ... mutated a little bit..."​
He goes on to say that he doesn't think "Covid-19" will evolve to defeat the current vaccines, but says that there will be a new virus in the future, that will be just as bad.​

He also answers the question; "How did this vaccine get developed so fast?"

Likes Evo, Astronuc and Drakkith
OmCheeto said:
One of the most interesting things I discovered, is that these new vaccines(mRNA), although almost 30 years in the making [ref], have never been used before. (Aside from rat and mouse experiments.)

It was just a few days ago that I discovered this...

mentor note: removed repeated content...
I like John Cambells stuff on You Tube, he was an epidemiologist and he provides links to the research he uses. Another excellent, if more complex, source on You Tube is called TWiV ( This week in virology) which usually has a varied group of clinicians and researchers discussing the very latest research, its impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the flip side, someone invented a smallpox vaccine in 1796, so obviously they're not all as hard as the flu.

Office_Shredder said:
On the flip side, someone invented a smallpox vaccine in 1796, so obviously they're not all as hard as the flu.
It's just that 'vaccine' would not be considered a 'product' by our actual standards and there is no chance that it would get approval in that form, with only that much testing and that level of 'manufacturing'. And those side effects...

Drakkith said:
Summary:: Reasons for the supposedly low effectiveness of the flu vaccine.

I'm used to provide an analogy for this.
If you make a bullet, then you can be almost 100% sure that it'll leave the barrel once fired.
The 'raw' effectiveness of the flu vaccine is almost 100%.

But to hit the target the target needs to be in range and you have to aim well: especially if it's a moving target - and not just one. Now, that's where you lost that 60% of the efficiency...

Last edited:
Likes atyy and Drakkith

1. What is the Low Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Meme?

The Low Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Meme is a popular internet meme that claims the flu vaccine is not effective and therefore unnecessary. It often includes misleading statistics and false information about the effectiveness of the vaccine.

2. Is the flu vaccine really ineffective?

No, the flu vaccine is not ineffective. While it is true that the vaccine is not 100% effective in preventing the flu, it is still the best way to protect yourself and others from getting sick. The effectiveness of the vaccine varies from year to year depending on the match between the vaccine and the circulating flu strains.

3. Why do people believe the Low Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Meme?

People may believe the meme because it plays on their fears and doubts about the safety and effectiveness of vaccines. It also spreads quickly on social media without proper fact-checking, leading to misinformation and misunderstanding about the flu vaccine.

4. What are the consequences of believing the meme?

The consequences of believing the Low Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Meme can be harmful. It can discourage people from getting the flu vaccine, putting themselves and others at risk of getting sick. It can also contribute to the spread of false information and mistrust in the medical community.

5. How can we combat the spread of the Low Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Meme?

The best way to combat the spread of the Low Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Meme is to educate ourselves and others with accurate information about the flu vaccine. It is also important to fact-check information before sharing it on social media and to trust reputable sources such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for reliable information about vaccines.