Register to reply

Tangential component of ElectroStatic Field

Share this thread:
abhs94
Mar2-12, 08:52 PM
P: 4
There is the problem which i haven't been able to understand:

"Show that the tangential component of an electric field is continuous from one side of a conductor to the other"

What exactly is asked and how to prove it?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
McLaren Rulez
Mar2-12, 09:06 PM
P: 261
Well, I'm not sure what its asking for exactly but the tangential component of the e-field in a conductor must be zero. If not, the electrons in the conductor rearrange themselves to make it zero. The fact that its zero everywhere means that it is continuous obviously. But perhaps they want a proof of this fact in some way which proves continuity without showing that its zero everywhere?
Hassan2
Mar2-12, 09:14 PM
P: 409
Quote Quote by abhs94 View Post
There is the problem which i haven't been able to understand:

"Show that the tangential component of an electric field is continuous from one side of a conductor to the other"

What exactly is asked and how to prove it?

Thanks!

Hi abhs94,

see this http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teachin...es/node59.html

The continuity of tangential component of an electrostatic field is true for the boundary of any two materials. In a special case when one side of the boundary is conductor, on both sides, the tangential component is zero ( and of course still continuous ).

abhs94
Mar2-12, 10:53 PM
P: 4
Tangential component of ElectroStatic Field

Thanks a lot for that!

Register to reply