What is "kinetic capacitance" in superconductors or in solid state in general?

by physengineer
Tags: kinetic capacitance, solid, state, superconductors
physengineer
Mar2-12, 11:40 AM
P: 21
Hi,

I would appreciate it if anyone could explain to me what "kinetic capacitance" is, particularly in the context of superconductors or solids.

I understand "kinetic inductance" which comes from the kinetic energy of the conducting electrons but can not make the analogy for capacitance.

Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Modification of structural composite materials to create tailored lenses
Novel technique opens door to better solar cells
Probing metal solidification nondestructively
sambristol
Mar3-12, 06:32 AM
P: 84
try looking up 'quantum phase slip' but the math is not for the faint hearted
physengineer
Mar3-12, 09:41 AM
P: 21
Quote Quote by sambristol View Post
try looking up 'quantum phase slip' but the math is not for the faint hearted
Thanks, Sambristol! In fact my question on "kinetic capacitance" comes from studying "quantum phase slip". I understand it as a combination of coefficients with the dimension of capacitance in the "effective action" introduced by Golubev and Zaikin; however, I was hoping to get some physical intuition too or at least know the literature it was introduced first.

Register to reply