Which compound is more acidic? (without using pkA value) HCl or H2SO4

by Kaede_N9
Tags: acidic, compound, h2so4
Kaede_N9
Mar8-12, 07:55 PM
P: 11
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Which compound is more acidic? (without using pkA value)

HCl or H2SO4

2. Relevant equations
Electronegativity.
Inductive effect.

3. The attempt at a solution
Since sulfur is more electronegative compared to cholrine, H2SO4 is more acidic than HCl...
So then I think of how I could use inductive effect instead of electronegativity to verify this claim.

Since sulfur is more electronegative compared to oxygen it shall pull away electrons slightly, more than chlorine on hydrogen?
I don't think it'll work since there are a 3 oxygens around sulfur and so the combined electronegativity outweighs that of sulfur?

What do you think?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Borek
Mar9-12, 01:34 AM
Admin
P: 22,673
I think I have no idea what it means to be "more acidic". And I am deadly serious, I am not aware of any definition of acidity. The way I see it it can mean one of two things - acid strength (in which case HCl is "more acidic"), or ability to neutralize base (similarly to alkalinity) - in which case H2SO4 as diprotic is more acidic.

Poorly worded question.
Kaede_N9
Mar9-12, 07:22 AM
P: 11
Original question:
For the following pairs of compounds, predict which one will be the strongest acid
and justify your choice.

Answer:
Between HCl and H2SO4, H2SO4 has a lower pKa (~-9) than HCl (~7) and so it is a stronger acid compared to HCl.

I wanted to answer this question without using a pKa table so I tried comparing the electronegativity of the central atoms, and as wel as their inductive effects. Not sure if inductive effect would work though.

Ygggdrasil
Mar9-12, 10:13 AM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,342

Which compound is more acidic? (without using pkA value) HCl or H2SO4

Also consider that resonance stabilization of the conjugate base occurs in H2SO4.
Borek
Mar9-12, 11:26 AM
Admin
P: 22,673
Quote Quote by Kaede_N9 View Post
Between HCl and H2SO4, H2SO4 has a lower pKa (~-9) than HCl (~7)
Apparently it depends on the source used. Kotrly & Sucha (Handbook of Chemical Equilibria in Analytical Chemistry) list sulfuric acid pKa1 as -3, Hulanicki (Reactions of acids and bases in analytical chemistry) lists pKa of HCl as -4.

Register to reply