H2F+ or CH3SH2+ which is more acidic by looking at the structures?

• Thread starter ngu9997
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, Homework Statement:H2F is more acidic than CH3SH2+, but there are several factors affecting acidity, with some having more weight such as resonance, atomic radius, electronegativity, and inductive effect.
ngu9997

Homework Statement

Which molecule is more acidic H2F+ or CH3SH2+

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

H2F is more acidic as the answer. However, I was told in class that there were several factors affecting acidity, with some having more weight such as resonance>atomic radius> electronegativity> inductive effect.

So comparing the fluorine and sulfur, fluorine is more electronegative which makes its conjugate base less basic making it more acidic in this regard. And for atomic radius, sulfur is larger making its conjugate base less basic and making it more acidic in this regard. Using this logic I would think that the molecule with sulfur is more acidic since atomic radius has more weight than electronegativity. Then the only reason why I might be wrong is because of the methyl group. Through the last factor, CH3 donates electron density to sulfur making its conjugate base more basic and therefore the acid less acidic than H2F in this regard. Can someone tell me if my reasoning is right as to why H2F is more acidic? Or if I'm wrong, perhaps point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this sort of thing is very difficult to reason from first principles. The explanations you find in books are largely rationalisation after the fact of what we know by observation to be the case.

Are you sure you mean CH3SH2+?
I would have thought CH3SH very hard to protonate, IOW its conjugate acid, very acid.
Whereas HF is just a weak, or you could say strongish acid with pK in the region of 3.
If instead the question is about the acidity of CH3SH, well those thiols/mercaptans/sulphydryls are all weak acids, dissociating in a moderately alkaline range, yours at pH 10. They are much more acid than the corresponding alcohols - that is where you can make rational comparisons.

As mentioned, prediction is quite difficult. A dominant effect on dissociations is rearrangement of the water molecules around the ions.
You can do better with the systematic comparison of related substances, and students get quite a lot of questions on this, (though I think some of the rationalisations still dodgy!)

Likes pinball1970
epenguin said:
Are you sure you mean CH3SH2+?
I would have thought CH3SH very hard to protonate, IOW its conjugate acid, very acid.
Whereas HF is just a weak, or you could say strongish acid with pK in the region of 3.
If instead the question is about the acidity of CH3SH, well those thiols/mercaptans/sulphydryls are all weak acids, dissociating in a moderately alkaline range, yours at pH 10. They are much more acid than the corresponding alcohols - that is where you can make rational comparisons.

As mentioned, prediction is quite difficult. A dominant effect on dissociations is rearrangement of the water molecules around the ions.
You can do better with the systematic comparison of related substances, and students get quite a lot of questions on this, (though I think some of the rationalisations still dodgy!)
LOL RSH is always trivial to protonate or alkylate...these are great Lewis/Bronsted bases and nucleophiles - stronger base = weaker conjugate acid..SMH...these websites...

1. What is the difference in structure between H2F+ and CH3SH2+?

H2F+ has two hydrogen atoms bonded to a fluorine atom, while CH3SH2+ has one hydrogen atom bonded to a sulfur atom and a methyl group.

2. Which molecule is more acidic, H2F+ or CH3SH2+?

CH3SH2+ is more acidic because the sulfur atom is more electronegative than the fluorine atom, making it more likely to donate a proton.

3. How does the structure affect the acidity of H2F+ and CH3SH2+?

The presence of the methyl group in CH3SH2+ increases the electron density around the sulfur atom, making it more acidic. In H2F+, the fluorine atom's high electronegativity pulls electron density away from the hydrogen atoms, making it less acidic.

4. What is the role of electronegativity in determining acidity?

Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons. In acidic molecules, the atom with the highest electronegativity is more likely to donate a proton, making it more acidic.

5. Can other factors, besides structure, affect the acidity of H2F+ and CH3SH2+?

Yes, other factors such as the strength of the bonds and the stability of the resulting ions can also affect the acidity of these molecules.