Which compounds are more basic than water?

In summary, the conversation discusses five compounds and their relative basicity compared to water. The compounds are ranked in order of increasing basicity, with bromide being the least basic and the propane carbanion being the most basic. There is some confusion about the pKa values and their significance in determining basicity, but ultimately it is determined that a pKa greater than two orders of magnitude more basic than water is considered significantly more basic.
LogicX

Homework Statement

Which of these compounds is significantly more basic than water?

I have 5 compounds here. I have (1) propane with a carbanion on the end, (2)the same molecule as that but with an adjacent double bond to oxygen (its on the middle carbon), (3) C-C-Ominus, (4) C-C-Sminus, and (5) Br-.

The Attempt at a Solution

I ranked their bascisity as (inc bascisity) 5<3<4<2<1. I am pretty sure this is correct, except that the thiolate has a lower pka than the alkoxide. Which means it should be a weaker base. But sulfur is less electronegative than oxygen so it can't stabilize the negative charge as well, so it should be more basic. So I guess the increasing size of sulfur which makes it more acidic is more important than electronegativity?

So, the pka of water, ethanethiol and ethanol are all generally around the same (14, 10.6, 16, respectively). Wheras propane is around 50. So I guess the answer would be the propane and acetone carbanions only?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LogicX said:

Homework Statement

Which of these compounds is significantly more basic than water?

I have 5 compounds here. I have (1) propane with a carbanion on the end, (2)the same molecule as that but with an adjacent double bond to oxygen (its on the middle carbon),
Is this acetone or does it too have a carbanion?
(3) C-C-Ominus, (4) C-C-Sminus, and (5) Br-.

The Attempt at a Solution

I ranked their bascisity as (inc bascisity) 5<3<4<2<1. I am pretty sure this is correct,
Nope. Bromide is in the right place, though.

except that the thiolate has a lower pka than the alkoxide. Which means it should be a weaker base. But sulfur is less electronegative than oxygen so it can't stabilize the negative charge as well, so it should be more basic. So I guess the increasing size of sulfur which makes it more acidic is more important than electronegativity?
The pKa tells you everything you need to know. Don't overthink it. Remember that the pKa is the pH at which half of the acid is deprotonated so water really should be 7 rather than something like ~15.5 when making comparisons like this.

chemisttree said:
Is this acetone or does it too have a carbanion?

Acetone with a carbanion.

Nope. Bromide is in the right place, though.

bromide<thiol anion<alkoxide<acetone carbanion<propane carbanion

This has to be right.

The pKa tells you everything you need to know. Don't overthink it. Remember that the pKa is the pH at which half of the acid is deprotonated so water really should be 7 rather than something like ~15.5 when making comparisons like this.

Well then I have no clue. Is a pka of 10.6 significantly different than 7? What about 26? It seems pretty subjective.

LogicX said:
Acetone with a carbanion.

bromide<thiol anion<alkoxide<acetone carbanion<propane carbanion

This has to be right.
It is.

Well then I have no clue. Is a pka of 10.6 significantly different than 7? What about 26? It seems pretty subjective.

I would say that something greater than two orders of magnitude more basic than neutral water is significantly more basic than water. YMMV

I would like to clarify that the basicity of a compound is determined by its ability to accept a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction. In general, compounds with lone pair of electrons on a highly electronegative atom tend to be more basic, as they can easily accept a proton to form a more stable molecule.

Based on the given information, it is difficult to determine the exact basicity of the compounds without knowing their specific pKa values. However, based on the ranking provided, it seems that compounds 1 and 2 (propane with a carbanion and adjacent double bond to oxygen) are the most basic, followed by compound 3 (C-C-Ominus), then compound 4 (C-C-Sminus) and finally compound 5 (Br-). This is because the carbanion and oxygen in compounds 1 and 2 are more electronegative than sulfur in compound 4 and bromine in compound 5, making them more basic.

Regarding the pKa values, it is important to note that the basicity of a compound is not solely determined by the pKa of its conjugate acid. Other factors such as steric hindrance and resonance effects can also play a role in determining the basicity of a compound. Therefore, it is not accurate to simply compare the pKa values of different compounds to determine their basicity.

In conclusion, based on the given information, compounds 1 and 2 are likely to be more basic than water, while compounds 3, 4, and 5 may have similar or slightly lower basicity compared to water. However, without knowing the specific pKa values and other factors, it is difficult to accurately determine the basicity of these compounds.

1. What is a basic compound?

A basic compound is a chemical substance that has a pH greater than 7. It is also known as an alkali or alkaline compound, and is characterized by its ability to neutralize acids.

2. How do you determine if a compound is more basic than water?

The basicity of a compound can be determined by comparing its pKa value to that of water. A lower pKa value indicates a stronger acid, while a higher pKa value indicates a stronger base. If a compound has a pKa value higher than 15.7 (the pKa value of water), it is considered to be more basic than water.

3. What are some examples of compounds that are more basic than water?

Some examples of compounds that are more basic than water include sodium hydroxide (pKa = 14), ammonia (pKa = 9.25), and sodium bicarbonate (pKa = 10.32).

4. Why is water considered to be a neutral compound?

Water is considered to be a neutral compound because it has a pKa value of 15.7, which is in the middle of the pH scale. This means that it has an equal number of hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) and is therefore neither acidic nor basic.

5. Are there any compounds that are more basic than water in nature?

Yes, there are several compounds that are more basic than water in nature. For example, calcium hydroxide, commonly known as lime, has a pKa value of 12.4 and is often found in rocks and soils. Additionally, many organic compounds, such as amines, can also be more basic than water.