Register to reply

Schwarzschild Christoffels

by Zeron_X25
Tags: christoffels, schwarzschild
Share this thread:
Zeron_X25
Mar9-12, 10:08 PM
P: 7
I needed some help with the Christoffel symbols for the Schwarzschild metric. I used the metric in wikipedia with signature (+---). For some reason, I get different Christoffel symbols when I use Mathimatica so I'm not sure if it's my calculations that are wrong or not. This isn't homework or anything of the sorts. I'm just trying to find the Ricci tensor and scalar for this metric partly for fun, partly for getting used to the operations and partly to learn more about this metric. In the attached file you'll find the Christoffel symbols that were calculated by me.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Metric.pdf (18.2 KB, 30 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Matterwave
Mar9-12, 10:51 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,698
The Schwarzschild solution is a vacuum solution, what does that tell you about the Ricci tensor and scalar right off the bat?
Zeron_X25
Mar9-12, 10:56 PM
They should be zero. Sorry that part completely slipped my mind. But my overall goal remains the same nevertheless. I don't seem to be getting the correct Christoffels for some reason.
This is the third metric I'm solving and GR is very new to me so I apologize.

Matterwave
Mar9-12, 11:01 PM
Sci Advisor
Schwarzschild Christoffels

Which method are you using to find the Christoffel symbols? Are you just brute forcing it from the equation where they are equal to derivatives of g?
Zeron_X25
Mar9-12, 11:04 PM
I don't know what you mean exactly but I am using the equation, the partials of g.
Is that a wrong approach to this?
Matterwave
Mar9-12, 11:50 PM
Sci Advisor
No, that's a perfectly valid approach, but sometimes other approaches are quicker. For example, you can use the Euler Lagrange equations on the integral [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int g_{\mu\nu}\dot{x}^\mu\dot{x}^\nu d\lambda[/itex] to get the geodesic equations. By comparing with the regular geodesic equations, one can often quickly read off all the Christoffel symbols.
Zeron_X25
Mar9-12, 11:51 PM
Yeah well the problem is that I have no knowledge of Lagrangian mechanics so my hands are quite tied.
Matterwave
Mar10-12, 12:09 AM
Sci Advisor
Interestingly enough, I can't seem to find a nice concise tabulation of the results online...and since I'm way too lazy to try to do this myself, I hope someone else will come along and help you. XD
Zeron_X25
Mar10-12, 12:33 AM
I have all the time in the world. I just wanna make sure I get the Christoffel symbols right before I do the Riemann tensor calculation since getting non zero Ricci tensor would mean a lot of wasted time and I hate it when I get stuff wrong after working so hard for it :(
atrahasis
Mar10-12, 04:34 AM
P: 11
There are maybe all wrong, for example [itex]\Gamma_{00}^1=-\frac{1}{2}g^{11}\partial_r g_{00}=\frac{c^2 r_s (r-r_s)}{2 r^3}[/itex]
So maybe something is wrong when you define the inverse, e.g. [itex]g^{11}=-(1-r_s/r)[/itex]
Mentz114
Mar10-12, 04:48 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,087
[tex]
\begin{align}
{mcs}_{1,1,2}&=\frac{m\,\left( r-2\,m\right) }{{r}^{3}}\\
{mcs}_{1,2,1}&=\frac{m}{r\,\left( r-2\,m\right) }\\
{mcs}_{2,2,2}&=-\frac{m}{r\,\left( r-2\,m\right) }\\
{mcs}_{2,3,3}&=\frac{1}{r}\\
{mcs}_{2,4,4}&=\frac{1}{r}\\
{mcs}_{3,3,2}&=2\,m-r\\
{mcs}_{3,4,4}&=\frac{cos\left( \theta\right) }{sin\left( \theta\right) }\\
{mcs}_{4,4,2}&=-\left( r-2\,m\right) \,{sin\left( \theta\right) }^{2}\\
{mcs}_{4,4,3}&=-cos\left( \theta\right) \,sin\left( \theta\right)
\end{align}
[/tex]

where
[tex]
mcs_{abc}={\Gamma^c}_{ab}
[/tex]

and t=x1, r=x2 etc.

This is from Maxima, using the ctensor package.

Register to reply