Deriving Schwarzschild Solution: Easier Strategies?

In summary: This will give you a matrix of trace-positive determinants, and as long as every entry in this matrix is nonzero, there is at least one combination of indices for which the trace of the metric is zero.
davidge
Is there a less boring way of deriving the Schwarzschild solution? The derivation itself is easy to going with; what I don't like is computing all the Christoffel symbols and Ricci tensor components --there are so many possible combinations of indices. I know that by using some constraint conditions one don't need to consider some of the Christoffel symbols, but still one end up with many equations.

(I wonder how many time Schwarzschild himself took to derive that solution for the first time...)
BTW, I've read that he was at a hospital at that time; good place to do calculus if you can.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Less boring" seems awfully subjective.

Likes davidge
GR is one of the more computational fields of physics. Unless you have some physical intuition, this is what you'll be spending your time doing (or just use an algebraic package to do it for you...)

Likes davidge and Matter_Matters
davidge said:
Is there a less boring way of deriving the Schwarzschild solution?

By "less boring" I assume, from your further statements about having to compute so many possible combinations of indices, that you mean something like "requires less computational drudgery". The best way I know of to do that is to first derive Schwarzschild coordinates, i.e., to demonstrate that any spherically symmetric spacetime can be described by coordinates ##(t, r, \theta, \phi)## in which the metric looks like this:

$$
ds^2 =j(t, r) dt^2 + k(t, r) dr^2 + r^2 \left( d\theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2 \right)
$$

Notice that we have already considerably reduced the possible combinations of indices, since the angular part of the metric is just the standard metric on a 2-sphere with radius ##r##, and as far as computing the two unknown functions ##j## and ##k## goes, you don't even have to worry about the angular part at all; in other words, the problem is effectively reduced to only two coordinates instead of four. Also, since there is no ##dt dr## cross term in the metric, the possible index combinations are further reduced. MTW takes this approach in their derivation; I think Carroll's notes also go into it.

Once you have the metric as above, computing its Einstein tensor (you only need to compute the ##tt##, ##tr##, and ##rr## components, as noted above) and setting each component equal to zero (because you want a vacuum solution, with vanishing stress-energy tensor), enables you to find the two unknown functions, and to show that they turn out to be functions of ##r## only, not ##t## (the latter requires rescaling the ##t## coordinate). I wrote up this part in an Insights article some time ago (you can search on "A Short Proof of Birkhoff's Theorem" in the Insights section), but I think it's worth working through it yourself.

Likes davidge and vanhees71
Well, as Leibniz has put it, it's insulting the human mind to do "boring" purely technical calculations. Nowadays it's easy to get good computer-algebra programs (even for free) that do the job for you. I use Mathematica, but deriving the Christoffel symbols and the Einstein tensor from the usual ansatz (I prefer @PeterDonis 's in #4, because it's then also shown that a spherically symmetric pseudometric implies that it's static) involves only taking derivatives and sums and thus should be possible with any CA, and as I said, there are free ones (e.g., maxima).

Likes davidge
If you want to see a different way, although you didn't say which way you found boring, you can look at Geroch lecture notes.

If you want to compute curvature, then it is better to do the computations the Cartan way.

Likes davidge
vanhees71 good way of avoiding calculus at hand. By the way, I have tried to compute the Ricci tensor on Mathematica (for the Schwarzschild metric) and I got zero all times. Is it a coincidence for this particular metric that that tensor vanishes? It's not obvious at first that it has to be zero for the Einstein's equations to be satisfied, because there seems to be possible to get zero from the combination ##R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu \nu}R## other than every component ##R_{\mu \nu}## (and consequently ##R##) being equal to zero.

PeterDonis I think this is the most beautiful way of learning something, because as you pointed out, it's doing the calculations that one can discover more and more things that otherwise would be hidden in a software.

martinbn said:
If you want to see a different way, although you didn't say which way you found boring, you can look at Geroch lecture notes.

If you want to compute curvature, then it is better to do the computations the Cartan way.
I will try to check out these two. Thanks.

davidge said:
there seems to be possible to get zero from the combination ##R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}g_{\mu \nu}R## other than every component ##R_{\mu \nu}## (and consequently ##R##) being equal to zero

It isn't. The easiest way to see that is to take the trace of the equation.

Likes davidge
PeterDonis said:
It isn't. The easiest way to see that is to take the trace of the equation.
So that means that whenever ##T_{\mu \nu} = 0##, ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0 = R## as well?

davidge said:
So that means that whenever ##T_{\mu \nu} = 0##, ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0 = R## as well?

Yes; again, you can see this for yourself by taking the trace of the vacuum field equation.

Likes davidge
And then use the trace to find another useful form of the Einstein field equation,
$$R_{\mu\nu} = 8\pi \left( T_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}T^\alpha_\alpha g_{\mu\nu} \right).$$
The equation above shows that ##T_{\mu \nu} = 0## implies that ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0##, and the usual form of the field equation shows ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0## implies that ##T_{\mu \nu} = 0##. i.e., a vacuum if and only if ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0##.

Likes davidge
Can you show how to obtain the trace? I'm not getting it.

davidge said:
Can you show how to obtain the trace? I'm not getting it.

What do you get when you multiply both sides of
$$R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu} = 8\pi T_{\mu\nu}$$
by ##g^{\mu \nu}##?

George Jones said:
What do you get when you multiply both sides of
by ##g^{\mu \nu}##?
##\frac{1}{2}R = 8 \pi T## ??

davidge said:
##\frac{1}{2}R = 8 \pi T## ??

This is not what I get.

What does ##g_{\mu \nu} g^{\mu \nu}## equal?

George Jones said:
This is not what I get.

What does ##g_{\mu \nu} g^{\mu \nu}## equal?
For a diagonal metric in ##n## dimensional space, would it be ##g_{\mu \nu} \ g^{\mu \nu} = n##?

Maybe then $$R = - 8 \pi T \ (1) \\ R_{\mu \nu} = 8 \pi\bigg(T_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}T^\alpha{}_\alpha \ g_{\mu \nu}\bigg) \ (2)$$ for then if we operate on ##(2)## with ##g^{\mu \nu}## we get ##(1)## again.

davidge said:
For a diagonal metric in ##n## dimensional space, would it be ##g_{\mu \nu} \ g^{\mu \nu} = n##?

For the coordinate components of any (semi)Riemannian metric (not just for coordinate systems in which the components are diagonal),
$$g_{\mu \nu} g^{\alpha \nu} = \delta_\mu^\alpha .$$
Taking ##\alpha = \mu## gives
$$g_{\mu \nu} g^{\mu \nu} = \delta_\mu^\mu = 4$$ (for spacetime.)

davidge said:
Maybe then $$R = - 8 \pi T \ (1) \\ R_{\mu \nu} = 8 \pi\bigg(T_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}T^\alpha{}_\alpha \ g_{\mu \nu}\bigg) \ (2)$$ for then if we operate on ##(2)## with ##g^{\mu \nu}## we get ##(1)## again.

Yes,
$$\begin{align}
\left( R_{\mu\nu} - \frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu} \right) g^{\mu \nu} &= 8\pi T_{\mu\nu} g^{\mu \nu}\\
R_{\mu\nu} g^{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}Rg_{\mu\nu} g^{\mu \nu} &= 8\pi T\\
R - \frac{1}{2}4R &= 8\pi T\\
-R &= 8\pi T.
\end{align}$$

Substituting this for the scalar ##R## in
gives the result.

Likes davidge
Thanks. The form of the equation ##-R = 8 \pi \ T## allow us to see that when ##T_{\mu \nu} = 0## and consequently ##T = 0##, ##R = 0## and consequently ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0##.

Likes vanhees71
davidge said:
The form of the equation ##-R = 8 \pi \ T## allow us to see that when ##T_{\mu \nu} = 0## and consequently ##T = 0##, ##R = 0## and consequently ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0##.

I am having a little difficulty understanding what you mean here, particularly the last part

davidge said:
##R = 0## and consequently ##R_{\mu \nu} = 0##.

If all the components ##T_{\mu \nu}## are zero, then the right side of
$$R_{\mu\nu} = 8\pi \left( T_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2}T^\alpha_\alpha g_{\mu\nu} \right)$$
is zero, and consequently the the left side, ##R_{\mu \nu}##, must also be zero.

Similarly, if all the components ##R_{\mu \nu}## are zero, then the left side of
is zero, and consequently the the right side, ##T_{\mu \nu}##, must also be zero.

Likes davidge
That's what I was trying to say.

Now how do one shows that ##T - 2 T^{\alpha}{}_{\alpha}## is the same as ##T - 2T##? That is, why are we free to clear out the indices ##\alpha## appearing in ##T##?

davidge said:
Now how do one shows that ##T - 2 T^{\alpha}{}_{\alpha}## is the same as ##T - 2T##? That is, why are we free to clear out the indices ##\alpha## appearing in ##T##?

What is the definition of ##T##?

George Jones said:
What is the definition of ##T##?
##g^{\mu \nu}\ T_{\mu \nu}##, which maybe can be seen as ##T^{\nu}{}_{\nu}##. In this case that equality makes sense.

davidge said:
##g^{\mu \nu}\ T_{\mu \nu}##, which maybe can be seen as ##T^{\nu}{}_{\nu}##.

Yes, these quantities are the same. There are various ways to see this; here are three (not independent):

1) consider ##g^{\mu \alpha} T_{\mu \nu} = T^\alpha_\nu## and let ##\alpha = \nu##;

2) the sum over ##\mu## in ##g^{\mu \nu}T_{\mu \nu}## means "raise the ##\mu## index for ##T## and repace it by the other index for ##g##, i.e., raise ##\mu## and replace it by ##\nu##, i.e. ##T^\nu_\nu##;

3) explicitly doing the sum over the repeated ##\mu## in ##g^{\mu \nu}T_{\mu \nu}## (for brevity, pretend that spacetime is 2-dimensional) gives ##g^{0 \nu}T_{0 \nu} + g^{1 \nu}T_{1 \nu}##, the repeated ##\nu## in the first term raises ##\nu## and changes it into ##0##, the repeated ##\nu## in the second term raises ##\nu## and changes it into ##1##, so ##T^0_0 + T^1_1##, which, from the summation convention, is ##T^\nu_\nu##.

Likes davidge
Thanks

1. What is the Schwarzschild solution?

The Schwarzschild solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity. It describes the metric (or curvature) of space-time around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. This solution is commonly used to describe the gravitational field around a black hole or a massive object like a star.

2. Why is it important to derive the Schwarzschild solution?

The Schwarzschild solution is important because it allows us to understand the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior of massive objects and the effects of gravity on their surroundings. It also serves as the basis for many other important solutions in general relativity.

3. What are some strategies for deriving the Schwarzschild solution?

There are several strategies for deriving the Schwarzschild solution, including using the Einstein field equations, the geodesic equation, and the weak-field limit approximation. Other approaches involve using symmetries and conservation laws in the system. Each of these strategies can provide valuable insights and can be used in conjunction with each other to arrive at the final solution.

4. Is it difficult to derive the Schwarzschild solution?

Deriving the Schwarzschild solution can be challenging, as it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and principles of general relativity. It also involves complex calculations and manipulations of equations. However, with a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, and the use of various strategies, it is possible to derive the solution with relative ease.

5. Are there any easier strategies for deriving the Schwarzschild solution?

There is no one "easy" strategy for deriving the Schwarzschild solution. However, some approaches may be more intuitive or straightforward for certain individuals. It is best to explore different strategies and find the one that works best for you. Practice and patience are also key in understanding and deriving the solution.