Register to reply

Omlet skin

by causalset
Tags: omlet, skin
Share this thread:
causalset
Mar10-12, 01:14 PM
P: 85
Okay before I proceed, imagine the following kind of omlet. So you have a thin layear of egg with small pieces of green pepper and onion. Also green pepper lost some of its color so its ''light green'', and likewise onion is a bit transparant as opposed to white. Now imagine that it is not the omlet but your own skin! More precisely, you look at the back of your hand and see transparent pieces of ''something'' behind your skin that look similar to onions in the omlet and light green pieces of someting that look just like green papers. Now it is not ''on'' your skin, but ''below'' your skin. In other words, it is part of skin's texture!!! If you see it on yourself, what would you think? Also, the skin itself has the ordinary skin collor --NOT yellow color of omlet or anything like that. So here you are, with your skin of ordinary color, and you have pieces of transparent onion and decolored green pepper stuck behind it. Would you interpret it as cancer or what?

Well I had a dream in which I seen exactly that on the back of my hand. But it was very weird. It looked so natural that part of me thought that it is one of the normal things that happen to skin texture. But then the other part of me felt it was gross. And then finally I realized it is NOT one of the 'normal' things and was wondering if ti was cancer or what. Yet part of me still thought it is not cancer. Well I then asked my mom hoping she will remind me of something ''normal'' that would make the skin look htat way. She was shocked instead and was going to call emergency. I told her not to and was trying to think of something to say to persuade her it is okay; then I woke up.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
Evo
Mar10-12, 01:27 PM
Mentor
P: 26,422
You mean this entire post is about a dream?
causalset
Mar10-12, 01:28 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
You mean this entire post is about a dream?
Yes.

Evo
Mar10-12, 01:29 PM
Mentor
Omlet skin

Quote Quote by causalset View Post
Yes.
So, what are you asking?
micromass
Mar10-12, 01:30 PM
Mentor
P: 18,019
Okay before I proceed, imagine the following kind of omlet. So you have a thin layear of egg with small pieces of green pepper and onion. Also green pepper lost some of its color so its ''light green'', and likewise onion is a bit transparant as opposed to white. Now imagine that it is not the omlet but your own skin! More precisely, you look at the back of your hand and see transparent pieces of ''something'' behind your skin that look similar to onions in the omlet and light green pieces of someting that look just like green papers. Now it is not ''on'' your skin, but ''below'' your skin. In other words, it is part of skin's texture!!! If you see it on yourself, what would you think? Also, the skin itself has the ordinary skin collor --NOT yellow color of omlet or anything like that. So here you are, with your skin of ordinary color, and you have pieces of transparent onion and decolored green pepper stuck behind it. Would you interpret it as cancer or what?

Well I had a dream in which I seen exactly that on the back of my hand. But it was very weird. It looked so natural that part of me thought that it is one of the normal things that happen to skin texture. But then the other part of me felt it was gross. And then finally I realized it is NOT one of the 'normal' things and was wondering if ti was cancer or what. Yet part of me still thought it is not cancer. Well I then asked my mom hoping she will remind me of something ''normal'' that would make the skin look htat way. She was shocked instead and was going to call emergency. I told her not to and was trying to think of something to say to persuade her it is okay; then I woke up.
Yes, dreams can be weird.
causalset
Mar10-12, 01:31 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
So, what are you asking?
If any of you happened to see it on your skin -- IN IMAGINARY SITUATION -- what would you think???
micromass
Mar10-12, 01:34 PM
Mentor
If any of you happened to see it on your skin -- IN IMAGINARY SITUATION -- what would you think???

Why does it matter if it is imaginary??

I'm not really getting why you're starting a question on a dream... Do you believe that you have cancer because of a dream?
causalset
Mar10-12, 01:36 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post

I'm not really getting why you're starting a question on a dream... Do you believe that you have cancer because of a dream?
I never said I have cancer because of the dream. I am not that silly, lol.

I guess I am just asking you guys out of plain curiocity. I mean I am sure there are threads asking you guys about favorite color and stuff like that.

By the way, it is a valid question. Even if no desease looks that way, in the hypothetical situation IF you see it you would have to interpret it as SOMETHING. So it is a very good ''scientific method'' type of question: what would be the first thing you would look for?
Evo
Mar10-12, 01:40 PM
Mentor

I guess I am just asking you guys out of plain curiocity. I mean I am sure there are threads asking you guys about favorite color and stuff like that.
I wouldn't think it was cancer, I'd assume fungus or parasites were growing under my skin.
micromass
Mar10-12, 01:41 PM
Mentor

OK, I'll play along then. If I saw it in an imaginary situation, then I would probably go see an imaginary doctor. Because whatever it is, it's probably not healthy...
Ryan_m_b
Mar10-12, 01:50 PM
Mentor
P: 5,403
By the way, it is a valid question. Even if no desease looks that way, in the hypothetical situation IF you see it you would have to interpret it as SOMETHING. So it is a very good ''scientific method'' type of question: what would be the first thing you would look for?
It's hardly a "scientific method" question unless you have a hypothesis regarding an observation that you are attempting to test via asking the question. Obviously if I could see discoloured lumps beneath my skin I would run to a doctor, possibly even to A&E (US = ER). Why would anyone do any different?
micromass
Mar10-12, 01:50 PM
Mentor
Ryan_m_b
Mar10-12, 01:51 PM
Mentor
P: 5,403
Redbelly98
Mar10-12, 06:37 PM
Mentor
P: 12,064
I find that when I'm dreaming, my state of mind is pretty much to accept all kinds of weird stuff that happens. So I'd probably just think "hey, I never noticed that my skin is like an omelette before", and continue on with the dream.
Jimmy Snyder
Mar10-12, 06:54 PM
P: 2,179
That happened to me too and I can assure you it's no dream, it's a living nightmare. They say that absinthe can cause hallucinations and I know that's true because I had just finished my 6th glass of it and started to see things. I was hungry and by luck, I stumbled into a restaurant. The beautiful waitress asked me what I would have and I said I'd have an omelet with peppers and onions. Then she started cooking it up for me. While she was cooking it she stroked my hand and sang rough sailor songs to me. Presently the meal was coming together and I could see the yellow yolk, the red peppers and the green onions coming together. Then she said it was done, and that's when I realized I wasn't in a restaurant after all, but in a tattoo parlor.
edward
Mar10-12, 08:10 PM
PF Gold
P: 873
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
That happened to me too and I can assure you it's no dream, it's a living nightmare. They say that absinthe can cause hallucinations and I know that's true because I had just finished my 6th glass of it and started to see things. I was hungry and by luck, I stumbled into a restaurant. The beautiful waitress asked me what I would have and I said I'd have an omelet with peppers and onions. Then she started cooking it up for me. While she was cooking it she stroked my hand and sang rough sailor songs to me. Presently the meal was coming together and I could see the yellow yolk, the red peppers and the green onions coming together. Then she said it was done, and that's when I realized I wasn't in a restaurant after all, but in a tattoo parlor.
Thanks for clearing things up.
chemisttree
Mar10-12, 08:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
It wasn't a dream. And now that you've told everyone of your hidden tastiness... well, that sound at your door is a horde of undead spork-people. You try to cry out but a warm gooiness stifles your scream. Trying to get up and run you find, to your horror, that a thick creamy cheese sauce has you stuck fast in your microsuede saucer chair.

Damn! It would have to be the spanish juevos con queso again...
Monique
Mar22-12, 10:38 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Quote Quote by micromass View Post

It is not imaginary, often the unconscious mind projects feelings/situations in the dream phase. I think most of us will have had the dream of teeth falling out, questioning why we have such dreams is an interesting subject. I've never had a dream about my skin, but the appearance and soothing of your mother is remarkable. It could be that you're dealing with things that you don't want to bother your significant others with, but I'm no psychologist.

Register to reply