Unusual Pigment Loss in Beauty Marks and Freckles

In summary, the conversation discusses the sudden disappearance of a raised beauty mark on the speaker's finger and the appearance of a new freckle on their palm during pregnancy. The speaker also notes that it is common for moles to change or disappear with age and that this could be due to a lack of pigment production. They also mention the appearance and disappearance of freckles on a red-headed person in relation to this phenomenon.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
You know those little brown spots, some slightly raised that are referred to in the English language as "beauty marks"? I though those were permanent.

I've had one on my right little finger for my ENTIRE life. I just looked down and noticed that although the little dot is still slightly raised, it suddenly is transparent! Just normal skin tone! I can't see it. It was there the other day. My finger has not been scratched, no skin abrasion or irritation. :confused:

This is really weird. How common is it for something like that to lose pigment suddenly? I've never heard of it happening.

Another odd occurence was when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter. In about the 8th month of my pregnancy, a beauty "freckle" (not raised) appeared on the lower right portion of my palm. Again I had never heard of getting a freckle on your palm. What was really bizarre was that when my daughter was born, she had a freckle on her palm in exactly the same spot. We still both do.

What causes this to happen?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Actually it is documented that moles may enlarge or new ones appear during pregnancy and that moles can sometimes disappear with age. I'm not sure exactly what happens, but for the mole to retain its color it needs to produce new pigment continuously. If it stops making pigment, the mole disappears. Compare it with the freckles on a red-headed person that appear in summer and disappear in winter.

What I discovered with age is that 'things' appear more than they dissapear...

1. What causes unusual pigment loss in beauty marks and freckles?

Unusual pigment loss in beauty marks and freckles, also known as hypopigmentation, can be caused by a variety of factors including genetics, sun exposure, hormonal changes, and skin conditions such as vitiligo or albinism.

2. Are there any treatments available for unusual pigment loss in beauty marks and freckles?

There are various treatments available for hypopigmentation, including topical creams, laser therapy, and cosmetic procedures. However, the effectiveness of these treatments may vary and it is important to consult with a dermatologist for personalized recommendations.

3. Can unusual pigment loss in beauty marks and freckles be prevented?

While it may not be possible to prevent hypopigmentation entirely, there are steps that can be taken to minimize its occurrence. These include avoiding excessive sun exposure, using sunscreen regularly, and maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle.

4. Is unusual pigment loss in beauty marks and freckles a sign of a serious health condition?

In most cases, hypopigmentation is not a sign of a serious health condition and is simply a cosmetic concern. However, if the pigment loss is accompanied by other symptoms or is rapidly spreading, it is important to consult with a medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

5. Can unusual pigment loss in beauty marks and freckles return to its normal state?

In some cases, hypopigmentation may eventually return to its normal state without any treatment. However, this is not always guaranteed and it is important to consult with a dermatologist for appropriate management and monitoring of the condition.