Spin 1/2 correlation

by gespex
Tags: 1 or 2, correlation, spin
gespex
Mar12-12, 08:06 PM
P: 57
Hello all,

Imagine two spin 1/2 particles that are entangled, going towards two stern-gerlach apparatuses, with some relative angle. Now imagine one stern-gerlach device measures the spin of one of the particles as up. What is the chance that the other stern-gerlach device measures the spin to be down?

For 90 degrees it would be 50/50, right? So my guess is [itex]cos^2 ({1 \over 2} \alpha)[/itex]. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
sergiokapone
Mar13-12, 01:51 PM
P: 110
Quote Quote by gespex View Post
Hello all,

Imagine two spin 1/2 particles that are entangled, going towards two stern-gerlach apparatuses, with some relative angle. Now imagine one stern-gerlach device measures the spin of one of the particles as up. What is the chance that the other stern-gerlach device measures the spin to be down?

For 90 degrees it would be 50/50, right? So my guess is [itex]cos^2 ({1 \over 2} \alpha)[/itex]. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance
You can look here , it is the same quastion.
DrChinese
Mar13-12, 03:14 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,146
Yes, that's correct. I may have steered you wrong at an earlier time.

gespex
Mar13-12, 03:16 PM

Spin 1/2 correlation

Quote Quote by sergiokapone View Post
You can look here , it is the same quastion.
Thanks for your answer. It doesn't seem to be the same question though - the question of that guy is a lot more advanced than mine. He is asking a question about the implication of the correlations, while I am simply looking for the actual formula for the correlation.

From what I understand from that source, he takes into account two possibilities for the case [itex]\alpha = 90[/itex]: a 50% correlation and a 100% correlation. I thought it was 50%, which would I believe indicate that I was right thinking the correlation is [itex]cos^2({1 \over 2} \alpha[/itex]. However, I'm not sure what he meant with the 100% correlation.

Thanks
gespex
Mar13-12, 03:21 PM
Quote Quote by DrChinese View Post
Yes, that's correct. I may have steered you wrong at an earlier time.
I did ask the question earlier, and you were the one to answer it. But reading up later I assumed you were talking about the correlation as (a - b)/(a + b)? So I did wonder if it was simply a miscommunication, hence me asking the question again.

But thank you again, for your answer now and for your answer last time.
sergiokapone
Mar13-12, 03:30 PM
the question of that guy is a lot more advanced than mine.
I am thet guy.
As I understood of the answers to my question, the correct answer to your quastion it is
Particle 2 is detected with a 50% probability of having spin −ℏ/2 in the +x direction, and 50% of having spin +ℏ/2 in the -x direction.
sergiokapone
Mar13-12, 03:32 PM
Hello all,
Thus, yes, it is correct.

Register to reply