Can I find a particle in two states simultaneously?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition of states and the possibility of a particle being in both spin-up and spin-down states simultaneously in a direction other than the z direction. It is clarified that a measurement does not find a particle in a state, but rather returns a measured value.
Ahmed1029
If I want to get the spin angular momentum of a particle using the Stem-Gerlach experiment, I think I will find the spin 1/2 particle either spin up or spin down, but not both. I however want to ask this : Is there a non-zero probability that a particle which is spin-up in the z direction to be in both states of spin-up and spin-down simultaneously in an arbitrary direction that is not the z direction? Also, could measurement ever find the particle in the two states simultaneously?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahmed1029 said:
If I want to get the spin angular momentum of a particle using the Stem-Gerlach experiment, I think I will find the spin 1/2 particle either spin up or spin down, but not both. I however want to ask this : Is there a non-zero probability that a particle which is spin-up in the z direction to be in both states of spin-up and spin-down simultaneously in an arbitrary direction that is not the z direction? Also, could measurement ever find the particle in the two states simultaneously?
Are you asking about states or measurement outcomes?

Do you understand the concept of superposition of states?

Ahmed1029 said:
Is there a non-zero probability that a particle which is spin-up in the z direction to be in both states of spin-up and spin-down simultaneously in an arbitrary direction that is not the z direction?
Spin up in the z-direction is a superposition of spin-up and spin down about any other direction.
Ahmed1029 said:
Also, could measurement ever find the particle in the two states simultaneously?
A measurement does not "find a particle in a state". A measuremement returns a measured value.

Likes vanhees71, topsquark, Lord Jestocost and 1 other person
Ahmed1029 said:
Just to emphasize what PeroK said, a particle is never in two states simultaneously, that makes no sense. It can be in one state that is a superposition of other states.

Likes vanhees71, topsquark and Ahmed1029

1. Can a particle be in two states at the same time?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This phenomenon is known as superposition.

2. How is it possible for a particle to be in two states at once?

The concept of superposition in quantum mechanics allows particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that a particle can have two or more distinct properties, such as position, momentum, or spin, at the same time.

3. Is there any evidence to support the idea of particles existing in two states simultaneously?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and observations that support the concept of superposition. One of the most famous examples is the double-slit experiment, where a single particle can behave as both a wave and a particle at the same time.

4. Are there any practical applications for particles being in two states at once?

Yes, the phenomenon of superposition has led to the development of technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. These technologies take advantage of the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously to perform complex calculations and ensure secure communication.

5. Can humans or objects exist in two states simultaneously?

While particles can exist in two states at once, the same does not apply to larger objects or living beings. The principles of quantum mechanics only apply to the microscopic world, and the concept of superposition does not extend to macroscopic objects.