Register to reply

Rotting food and half life

by cesaruelas
Tags: food, life, rotting
Share this thread:
cesaruelas
Mar25-12, 09:15 PM
P: 53
Is the process of rotting food or any organic material directly related to the half life of its components?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
DaveC426913
Mar25-12, 09:33 PM
P: 15,319
Quote Quote by cesaruelas View Post
Is the process of rotting food or any organic material directly related to the half life of its components?
No. Rotting food occurs at a cellular level. Bacteria attack the organics and break them down.
cesaruelas
Mar25-12, 09:56 PM
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
No. Rotting food occurs at a cellular level. Bacteria attack the organics and break them down.
Organic material in an ideally bacteria-free environment would never decompose? or only then would its decomposition be linked to the half life of its components? BTW, thank you for answering.

DaveC426913
Mar25-12, 10:01 PM
Rotting food and half life

Organic material in an ideally bacteria-free environment would never decompose?
It would. Bacteria and fungus are a major source, but the organic material will decompose on its own as well. Cells leak. Fluids mix. Components lose integrity.

or only then would its decomposition be linked to the half life of its components?
If you can find any evidence suggesting a link between normal food rotting and radioactive decay, I would be quite surprised.
Borek
Mar26-12, 02:13 AM
Admin
P: 23,599
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
If you can find any evidence suggesting a link between normal food rotting and radioactive decay, I would be quite surprised.
The notion of half life is not limited to radioactive decay.
DaveC426913
Mar26-12, 08:45 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
The notion of half life is not limited to radioactive decay.
Then perhaps the OP should be explicit.
cesaruelas
Mar26-12, 08:55 AM
My point is, can you, under certain conditions (bacteria free, certain temperature, etc.) predict when will organic matter be "unconsumable" for a human being given you only know the halflife of its components and the concentration of each in the material to analize?
russ_watters
Mar26-12, 09:30 AM
Mentor
P: 22,303
Do you mean radioactive half life or some other kind?
cesaruelas
Mar26-12, 11:33 AM
I originally meant radioactive half life (since I was not aware the term was used to refer to any other type of half life). Is it linked to that half life or is there an equivalent concept for decomposition of organic molecules (proteins, carbohidrates, etc)? Thanks for your answers.
russ_watters
Mar26-12, 12:00 PM
Mentor
P: 22,303
The term can be used to describe any kind of exponential decay - for example, basketball team lifespan in a tournament.

However, for your question: our food is not significantly radioactive, so radioactive half life plays no role whatsoever in its decay as a food source.
surajt88
Mar27-12, 07:19 AM
P: 76
Not rotting in the exact sense, but may pertain to this thread as an example of degradation of food items without bacteria or fungi: Browning (food process).

Register to reply