Intersection of two spheres

by songoku
Tags: intersection, spheres
songoku
Mar26-12, 09:25 AM
P: 767
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In the space, consider the sphere S1 of radius 3 whose center is the point A (1, -1, 1) and the sphere S2 of radius 2 whose center is the point B(t, 1 - t, 1 + t).
a. Find the range of values of t in order the two spheres S1 and S2 have common points
b. Find the value of t for which B is closest to the point A
c. For the value of B obtained from (b), find the radius of circle formed as intersection of S1 and S2

2. Relevant equations
differentiation
equation of sphere: (x - a)2 + (y - b)2 + (z - c)2 = r2

3. The attempt at a solution
I tried to equate the two equations of sphere and set discriminant ≥ 0, but I ended up having equation containing three variables x, y and z which can't be solved.

To be honest, the only equation I know about sphere is the one I wrote above...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
songoku
Mar28-12, 09:52 PM
bump
Dick
Mar28-12, 10:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,163
It's not really all that much about the equation of the spheres. If the distance between A and B is greater then 5, then the spheres don't intersect. If it's less than 5 then they do. It's about the distance between A and B.

songoku
Mar28-12, 11:40 PM

Intersection of two spheres

Quote Quote by Dick View Post
It's not really all that much about the equation of the spheres. If the distance between A and B is greater then 5, then the spheres don't intersect. If it's less than 5 then they do. It's about the distance between A and B.
Ah, why don't I think about it.....

OK let's move on to find part (c). Actually I don't know which circle the question is referring to. I have image in my head that the intersection between two spheres are another 3 dimensional object, not a 2 dimensional object such as circle....
HallsofIvy
Mar29-12, 11:23 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
Go ahead and multiply out the two equations for the circles, then subtract one equation from the other. Since all "square" terms have coefficient 1, they will cancel giving a linear equation- the equation of the plane in which the two spheres intersect.

Then the circle of intersection is given by the simultaneous solution to the equation of either of the spheres and the equation of that plane.
songoku
Mar29-12, 07:40 PM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
Go ahead and multiply out the two equations for the circles, then subtract one equation from the other. Since all "square" terms have coefficient 1, they will cancel giving a linear equation- the equation of the plane in which the two spheres intersect.

Then the circle of intersection is given by the simultaneous solution to the equation of either of the spheres and the equation of that plane.
I found the equation of plane: 2y + 2z = 7

I can't find the simultaneous solution to the equation of sphere 1 and the plane. I substitute y = 7/2 - z to the equation of plane and end up having two variables, x and z? What should I do?

Thanks

Register to reply