A non-intersecting family of circles

• Thread starter rajeshmarndi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, the proof that the family of circles out of two non-intersecting circles does not have any intersecting circles within it is that the centers and radii of the circles can be expressed as functions of k, and by examining their arrangement along the x-axis, it can be determined that they cannot intersect.
rajeshmarndi
Member warned that homework must be posted in one of the Homework sections
Mentor note: Moved from a technical math section.
What is the proof that the family of circles out of two non-intersecting circles, no two circles in that family intersect.

Say S1 = x^2 + y^2 - 8x + 7 = 0 (i.e center at (4,0) and radius = 3 )
S2 = x^2 + y^2 - 24x + 135 = 0 ( i.e center at (12,0) and radius = 3 )
Family of circles of the two above circles is S1 + k S2 = 0.
i.e x^2 + y^2 + [2* (-4 -12k)/(1+k)] x + [ (7 + 135k ) / (1+k) ] = 0 , k ∈ R

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to find x,y that satisfy the conditions for both circles? Or did you calculate the centers and radii of the circles as function of k?

mfb said:
Did you try to find x,y that satisfy the conditions for both circles? Or did you calculate the centers and radii of the circles as function of k?
For circles along x-axis.

S1 = x^2 + y^2 + 2g1x + c1 = 0
S2 = x^2 + y^2 + 2g2x + c2 = 0

Family of circle of the above two circle. Center and radii as function of k.
center = ( - ((g1+kg2)/(1+k)) , 0 ) and radius = √ ( [(g1+kg2)/(1+k)]^2 - [(c1+kc2)/(1+k)] )

From my example, it is.

Center = ( -[{-4(1+3k)}/(1+k)] , 0) and radius = √ ( [{-4(1+3k)}/(1+k)]^2 - [(7+135k)/(1+k)] )

How do I proove from here?

rajeshmarndi said:
How do I proove from here?
It is your homework problem. How would you check if these circles have a common point?

One possible approach: It helps that all their centers are aligned. What do you know about the intersections with the x-axis for the circles? How must their arrangement be like if the circles intersect?

1. What is a non-intersecting family of circles?

A non-intersecting family of circles is a set of circles that do not intersect or overlap with each other. This means that no two circles share any common points or lines.

2. What are the properties of a non-intersecting family of circles?

The main property of a non-intersecting family of circles is that they do not intersect or overlap. Additionally, all the circles in the family have the same radius and their centers lie on a common line.

3. How is a non-intersecting family of circles useful in mathematics?

A non-intersecting family of circles has many applications in mathematics, such as in geometry, graph theory, and combinatorics. It can also be used to solve problems related to packing and covering of circles.

4. What is the maximum number of circles in a non-intersecting family?

The maximum number of circles in a non-intersecting family depends on the size and arrangement of the circles. In general, there is no specific limit to the number of circles in such a family.

5. Are there any real-world examples of a non-intersecting family of circles?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of a non-intersecting family of circles. One example is the arrangement of bubbles on the surface of soapy water, where each bubble is a perfect circle and they do not intersect with each other. Another example is the arrangement of coins on a flat surface, where each coin represents a circle and they do not overlap.