Use standard identities to express

In summary, to express sin(x+pi/3) in terms of sin x and cos x, you can use the standard identity sin(a+b)=sinAcosB+sinBcosA. Replacing a with x and b with pi/3, the expression becomes sin(x)cos(pi/3)+sin(pi/3)cos(x). Simplifying further, we get 0.5sinx + 0.8660cosx. However, it is recommended to express 0.866 as √3/2 for an exact value.
menco

Homework Statement

Use standard identities to express sin(x+pi/3) in terms of sin x and cos x

Homework Equations

sin(a+b)=sinAcosB+sinBcosA

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(x)cos(pi/3)+sin(pi/3)cos(x)
0.5sinx + 0.8660cosx

I'm just not sure if i need to simplify it even further and hopefully I'm on the right track. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That should be fine. I would just express 0.866 as √3/2 as that is an exact value whilst 0.866 is just an approximation.

that seems right to me. However I'd keep sin(π/3) as [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex].

Edit: I didn't see rock.freak667's reply.

thanks for the response :)

What are standard identities?

Standard identities are mathematical equations or formulas that represent a commonly used relationship between mathematical quantities. These identities are often used to simplify algebraic expressions or solve mathematical problems.

Why should I use standard identities?

Using standard identities can help you save time and effort in solving mathematical problems. They can also help you recognize patterns and make connections between different mathematical concepts.

How can I identify when to use a standard identity?

You can identify when to use a standard identity by looking for patterns or relationships between variables in an equation. You can also use known identities to simplify complicated expressions or equations.

What are some commonly used standard identities?

Some commonly used standard identities include the Pythagorean theorem, the quadratic formula, and the distributive property. Other common identities include the sum and difference identities for trigonometric functions.

Are there different types of standard identities?

Yes, there are different types of standard identities for different mathematical concepts. For example, there are standard identities for algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and more. It is important to be familiar with the standard identities for the specific type of problem you are trying to solve.