Trigonometric equation solving 2cos x=tan x

In summary: Thank you for catching that. In summary, the conversation discusses using Desmos to plot a graph and finding the intersection points of a trigonometric equation. The conversation also covers using trigonometric identities and the quadratic formula to solve for the solutions in a given range. There is also mention of using a calculator and a clarification on a typo.
AN630078
Homework Statement
I have really been rather struggling with trigonometric equations, hwoever I have been teaching myself and practising to improve and hone my understanding. Although, I remain a little uncertain in areas. I have attempted some questions below but was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on how to improve my workings or apply more suitable methods.

Sketch the graphs y=2cos x and y=tan x.
a. How many values of x satisfy the equation in the range 0 ≤θ ≤360 degrees?
b. Show that the x-values at the points of intersection satisfy the equation 2sin^2x+sins-2=0
c. Solve the equation 2cos x=tan x between 0 and 360 degrees
Relevant Equations
tan x=sin x / cos x
sin^2x+cos^2x=1
a. I have just plotted the graph using desmos and attached an image here. Clearly, there are two values of x that satisfy the equation in the range. Do I need to add anything to this statement, I feel the response is a little brief for the question?

b. Using the trigonometric identities;
tan x=sin x / cos x
and sin^2x+cos^2x=1

2cos x=tan x
Multiply the whole equation by cos x:
2cos x=sinx
Using the identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1, 2cos x becomes: 2(1-sin^2x)
2(1-sin^2x)=sinx
Expand the brackets;
2-2sin^2x=sinx
Subtract sin x from both sides;
2-2sin^2x-sinx=0
Divide by -1;
2sin^2x+sinx-2=0

c. To solve the equation 2cos x=tan x
This is shown to be equal to the quadratic;
2sin^2x+sinx-2=0

Let sin x = u
2u^2+u-2=0

Using the quadratic formula; a=2, b=1, c=-2
u=-b±√b^2-4ac/2a
u=-1±√1^2-4*2*(-2)/2*2
u=-1±√17/4
u=0.780 and x=-1.28 to 3.s.f

sin x = -1±√17/4
x=arcsin 0.78 =51.3 degrees to 3.s.f
x= arcsin -1.28 = no real solutions as x cannot be smaller than 1 for real solutions

To find other solutions in the range 0 ≤θ ≤360 degrees use sin θ=sin(180-θ):
180-51.3=128.7 degrees

So the solutions are 51.3 and 129 degrees to 3.s.f?

Would this be correct. I am very uncertain of trigonometric equation problems and I have been teaching myself which is perhaps why my knowledge is a little unstable and I am am sure in places erroneous. I would be very grateful of any help 👍

Attachments

• Question 2 a.png
    Question 2 a.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to (a) shouldn't your graph use degrees in the x-axis as it asks for the intersection points with the domain of 0 to 360 degrees and your plot doesn't show that.

For (b), you start with ##2 cos(x) = tan(x)## and then multiply both sides by ##cos(x)## and you should get ##2 cos^2(x) = sin(x)## right?

Likes AN630078
AN630078 said:
So the solutions are 51.3 and 129 degrees to 3.s.f?

Would this be correct.
Have you got a calculator?

AN630078 said:
b. Using the trigonometric identities;
tan x=sin x / cos x
and sin^2x+cos^2x=1

2cos x=tan x
Multiply the whole equation by cos x:
2cos x=sinx
You have a typo above. It should be ##2\cos^2(x) = \sin(x)##. I think you just neglected to add the exponent here, because in subsequent work you have the exponent.

Last edited:
Likes AN630078
jedishrfu said:
With respect to (a) shouldn't your graph use degrees in the x-axis as it asks for the intersection points with the domain of 0 to 360 degrees and your plot doesn't show that.

For (b), you start with ##2 cos(x) = tan(x)## and then multiply both sides by ##cos(x)## and you should get ##2 cos^2(x) = sin(x)## right?
Thank you for your reply. Yes you are correct, I just quickly jotted down the graph from Desmos, in actually sketching it I would use degrees on the x-axis.

Sorry, for (b) that is a typo, I meant ##2cos^2(x)=sin(x)## .

Last edited by a moderator:
PeroK said:
Have you got a calculator?
Yes, why? 😁

Mark44 said:
You have a typo above. It should be ##2\cos^2(x) = \sin(x)##. I think you just neglected to add the exponent here, because in subsequent work you have the exponent.
Yes you are correct, it was a typo, I meant ##2cos^2(x)=sin(x)##

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of solving trigonometric equations?

The purpose of solving trigonometric equations is to find the values of the unknown variable(s) that satisfy the given equation. This allows us to solve real-world problems involving angles and triangles, and to better understand the behavior and properties of trigonometric functions.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities to manipulate the equation into a form where you can easily determine the values of the unknown variable(s). This may involve factoring, substitution, or using special formulas such as the Pythagorean identity.

3. What is the difference between solving a trigonometric equation and evaluating a trigonometric expression?

Solving a trigonometric equation involves finding the values of the unknown variable(s) that make the equation true. Evaluating a trigonometric expression, on the other hand, involves calculating the numerical value of the expression for a given set of angles or values. Solving an equation involves finding unknowns, while evaluating an expression involves substituting known values.

4. What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric equations include using the unit circle, converting trigonometric functions to their equivalent forms (e.g. sine to cosine), and using inverse trigonometric functions to isolate the unknown variable(s). It is also helpful to remember common trigonometric identities and to simplify the equation as much as possible before solving.

5. How do you solve a trigonometric equation that involves multiple angles?

To solve a trigonometric equation with multiple angles, you can use the sum and difference identities, the double angle identities, or the half angle identities to simplify the equation and isolate the unknown variable(s). It may also be helpful to use trigonometric equations with known solutions, such as the special angles (30°, 45°, 60°) or the quadrantal angles (0°, 90°, 180°, 270°, 360°).