What disorder does this seem like?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Cinitiator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disorder
In summary, the individual has a very hard time learning in public education environments because they are largely blocked out from the surrounding environment and don't process most auditory or visual information. Additionally, the individual had problems in their early childhood which may be indicative of this problem.
Cinitiator
I have a very hard time learning in public education environments for the following reasons:

Whenever I'm attending a class, and the teacher/professor is talking, I would block out everything around me, including but not limited to the teacher talking, most visual information (at least in terms of details), other people talking, and so on. Roughly 95% of the outside information will be blocked out and not processed at all. It's blocked out to such an extent that I can't take notes (the most notes I ever wrote down was about 1/10 of what the normal student did), don't process most auditory information which the teacher presents, and often don't even react to the outside stimuli.

When I was a child and most of the things were written down on the blackboard, I could at least mechanically copy all the stuff which had been written down on it. Now, most of the lesson is presented in an auditory form, or as a mix of various data types, which, as you can imagine, doesn't work well with my learning patterns.

However, whenever I self-teach, I don't have any problems and learn far faster (up to 20 times faster) than I ever would in a public learning environment. What I've noticed is that when I self-teach, my brain recognizes the information presented as things that have to be learned, and learns them very efficiently. This isn't the case in a classroom environment, where my brain doesn't automatically identify and set the learning information sources and their datatypes.

Also, when I was a middle school student, I skipped up to 4 months of school in a row, as going to school made me very frustrated and stressed out. This is still the case for any public learning environments I visit - I usually end up spending my lunch breaks locked up in a bathroom stall. And despite other people approaching me and trying to be friends, I have a very hard time figuring out the course of action which would lead to a friendship. I don't know how to act in roughly 70% of the social situations.

If this helps, I also had some symptoms which could be indicative of this problems in my early childhood, such as:
-Not responding to my name most of the time (I didn't recognize my parents calling me, until they repeated it many times and started yelling)
-Having a mild speech delay - started speaking around 2 years and 3 months old

Sorry if my spelling and grammar is a little bit off - English isn't my primary language.

Biology news on Phys.org
We can't diagnose you over the internet I am afraid. I would advise you to go and see your doctor.

1. What disorder does this seem like?

This is a difficult question to answer without further context or information. It is important to consult with a trained professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist, to properly diagnose any potential disorders. Mental health disorders can present differently in different individuals and it is important to have a thorough evaluation before making any assumptions.

2. Are there any common disorders that share similar symptoms?

Yes, there are many disorders that may share similar symptoms. For example, anxiety disorders, mood disorders, and personality disorders can all have overlapping symptoms. This is why it is important to seek professional help for a proper diagnosis.

3. Can a disorder be accurately diagnosed based on one or two symptoms?

No, a disorder cannot be accurately diagnosed based on one or two symptoms. A proper diagnosis requires a comprehensive evaluation of multiple factors, including symptoms, medical history, and environmental factors. It is important to seek professional help for an accurate diagnosis.

4. Can a disorder be inherited?

Some disorders may have a genetic component, meaning they can be inherited. However, not all disorders are inherited and it is important to remember that environmental factors and life experiences also play a role in the development of mental health disorders.

5. Is there a cure for mental health disorders?

Mental health disorders are complex and there is no one specific cure for all disorders. Treatment may involve a combination of therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It is important to work with a professional to create an individualized treatment plan that works best for you.