Register to reply

Determining background radiation in a decay spectrum

by physguy09
Tags: background, background radiation
Share this thread:
physguy09
Apr10-12, 10:28 AM
P: 19
I was working on calibrating some newly purchased software onto our lab computers when I noticed that the decay spectrum on the screen did not look exactly as it does on published material. I attribute this to background radiation effects (correct me if I am wrong please), so I decided the best way to test the background rate would be to run the detector being used without a radioactive source.

My question: how do I then use this data to remove it from generated spectra? I initially thought I would run the detector without the source for the same amount of time as I had with the source, but this would mean running it for days at a time in cases of weaker sources...seams rather impractical. May someone point me in the right direction please?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
Bob S
Apr10-12, 02:55 PM
P: 4,663
If you are looking at nuclear gammas (e.g., Cs137), the local environment (e.g., shielding) can affect the amplitude of the Compton edge and backscatter peaks.

Register to reply