Register to reply

Synthetic biology, where can I learn more?

by s09
Tags: biology, learn, synthetic
Share this thread:
s09
Apr12-12, 09:27 AM
P: 22
I've recently read an interesting article on the NY Times about an MIT competition on synthetic biology. A determined team about from a community college managed to get there. Good read. But what I would like to know is where can I find more information about this?

* What are some good books?
* Online resources?
* Something that's DIY? :)

I'm a complete n00b to this, but this sounds incredible, especially since a number of the changes are being made by regular people that don't necessarily have access to multi-million dollar facilities, grants, research and equipment.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Scientists find how mysterious 'circular RNA' is formed, claim muscular dystrophy link
A new quality control pathway in the cell
Mike H
Apr13-12, 06:06 AM
P: 485
I read Biopunk by Marcus Wohlsen not too long ago - it's kind of scattered in its presentation, IMO, but still an interesting read. It's more on the DIY side than the synthetic biology side, though.

The obvious suggestions I would have are OpenWetWare and DIYBio. If you play link roulette, you will certainly be swamped in reading material for a good while.
nmz787
Apr18-12, 08:32 AM
P: 9
In addition to Mike H's links, the book "Biology Is Technology" by Rob Carlson seems like a good place to start. I haven't read the book, but I've met Rob and he's been keeping an eye on the synBio market/field for many years now.

Personally, if you really want to get into this, I recommend taking bio and chem lab courses at a community college. They're pretty cheap, and will familiarize you with the basic lab techniques.

Its all basically just complicated cooking recipes!

Register to reply