Register to reply

Synthetic biology, where can I learn more?

by s09
Tags: biology, learn, synthetic
Share this thread:
s09
Apr12-12, 09:27 AM
P: 22
I've recently read an interesting article on the NY Times about an MIT competition on synthetic biology. A determined team about from a community college managed to get there. Good read. But what I would like to know is where can I find more information about this?

* What are some good books?
* Online resources?
* Something that's DIY? :)

I'm a complete n00b to this, but this sounds incredible, especially since a number of the changes are being made by regular people that don't necessarily have access to multi-million dollar facilities, grants, research and equipment.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Largest genetic survey to date shows major success of giant panda breeding programs
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Mike H
Apr13-12, 06:06 AM
P: 484
I read Biopunk by Marcus Wohlsen not too long ago - it's kind of scattered in its presentation, IMO, but still an interesting read. It's more on the DIY side than the synthetic biology side, though.

The obvious suggestions I would have are OpenWetWare and DIYBio. If you play link roulette, you will certainly be swamped in reading material for a good while.
nmz787
Apr18-12, 08:32 AM
P: 9
In addition to Mike H's links, the book "Biology Is Technology" by Rob Carlson seems like a good place to start. I haven't read the book, but I've met Rob and he's been keeping an eye on the synBio market/field for many years now.

Personally, if you really want to get into this, I recommend taking bio and chem lab courses at a community college. They're pretty cheap, and will familiarize you with the basic lab techniques.

Its all basically just complicated cooking recipes!

Register to reply