Synthetic biology, where can I learn more?

In summary, there is a competition on synthetic biology at MIT and a determined team from a community college was able to participate. The conversation also touched on suggestions for further reading and resources, including the book "Biopunk" and websites like OpenWetWare and DIYBio. The suggestion to take bio and chem lab courses at a community college was also mentioned as a way to familiarize oneself with basic lab techniques.
s09
I've recently read an interesting article on the NY Times about an MIT competition on synthetic biology. A determined team about from a community college managed to get there. Good read. But what I would like to know is where can I find more information about this?

* What are some good books?
* Online resources?
* Something that's DIY? :)

I'm a complete n00b to this, but this sounds incredible, especially since a number of the changes are being made by regular people that don't necessarily have access to multi-million dollar facilities, grants, research and equipment.

Biology news on Phys.org
I read Biopunk by Marcus Wohlsen not too long ago - it's kind of scattered in its presentation, IMO, but still an interesting read. It's more on the DIY side than the synthetic biology side, though.

The obvious suggestions I would have are OpenWetWare and DIYBio. If you play link roulette, you will certainly be swamped in reading material for a good while.

In addition to Mike H's links, the book "Biology Is Technology" by Rob Carlson seems like a good place to start. I haven't read the book, but I've met Rob and he's been keeping an eye on the synBio market/field for many years now.

Personally, if you really want to get into this, I recommend taking bio and chem lab courses at a community college. They're pretty cheap, and will familiarize you with the basic lab techniques.

Its all basically just complicated cooking recipes!

1. What is synthetic biology?

Synthetic biology is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from biology, engineering, and computer science to design and create new biological systems or modify existing ones for practical applications.

2. How is synthetic biology different from traditional biology?

Synthetic biology involves the use of engineering and computational tools to design and manipulate biological systems, whereas traditional biology focuses on understanding and studying natural biological systems.

3. What are some potential applications of synthetic biology?

Synthetic biology has a wide range of potential applications, including the development of new medicines, environmentally-friendly fuels, and new materials. It can also be used for agricultural purposes, such as creating more efficient and sustainable crops.

4. Where can I learn more about synthetic biology?

There are many resources available for learning about synthetic biology, including books, online courses, and research articles. Some reputable sources include the Synthetic Biology Engineering Research Center (SynBERC), the International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) competition, and various universities that offer courses and research opportunities in synthetic biology.

5. What are the ethical considerations surrounding synthetic biology?

As with any emerging technology, there are ethical considerations surrounding synthetic biology. These may include concerns about safety, potential environmental impacts, and the potential for misuse or unintended consequences. It is important for scientists and policymakers to consider these ethical issues as the field continues to develop.